overall

RATINGS: 1084   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Our most popular beer. 420 Extra Pale Ale is a tasty West Coast Style Pale Ale with a good hop feel to it and a crisp finish. First brewed on April 20th, 1997 this beer has developed quite the following in the Southeast. Drink em if you got em

Medals: 2002 Silver Medal - Great American Beer Festival; 1997-2003 Creative Loafing - Readers and Critic’s Choice - Best Local Beer; Silver Medal winner at the 1998 World Beer Cup; Voted top ten beers in Atlanta by the Atlanta Journal Constitution

Malts: 2 Row, Munich, Carastan 30-37

Hops: Centenial, Cascade

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - OCT 25, 2003
Nice floral, lightly hoppy nose. Color is a light copper, but fairly hazy. Is this a bottle conditioned beer? I see nothing on the label indicating so, and no sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so I'm inclined to think it is not bottle conditioned, in which case I believe the cloudiness to be a fault. Medium carbonation with a big frothy white head. Taste profile is rather timid. Light malt, light hops, light finish, light body...a bit of a metallic taste, perhaps this beer is a bit past it's prime? Maybe a fresher beer would be better? I acquired this beer in a trade, so I'm not sure of it's freshness. The label says enjoy by 4th week of November, but no indication of what year. Fair, but not great beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thejman454 (56) - cumming, Georgia, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Another winner from sweetwater. It's good but definatly not there best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jgb9348 (4924) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - OCT 3, 2003
Light amber colour with a thin white head. Smells of citrusey and floral hops. Medium-bodied; Strong hoppiness-decent balance with malt as well. Aftertaste fairly subdued, but good. Overall a decent APA, fairly good! I had this beer on draught at Summit's in Sandy Springs (Atlanta), Georgia on 25-September-2003.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - AUG 5, 2003
12 oz bottle, pint glass. Large, frothy head is white and slowly diminishing. Body is a pale copper and appears to be fairly thin. Light bread malts, lightly citric hops. I'm really having to sniff to pull out the aroma here. Moderately sweet throughout, lightly bitter throughout. Light acidity at the beginning. Fairly short finish. Very tame beer. Only a light fruitiness upfront keeps me from believing this isn't a lager. Medium body, soft carbonation, watery texture. The bottom line is: boring. 2nd place in my Atlanta pale ale taste off. While Sweetwater does okay for a local-to-me-brewery, I've not had anything exceptional, great, or even very good from them yet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JUL 21, 2003
Appearance and aroma is apricot; Tastes of apricots and citrus (tangerine?); lightly hopped with a malty finish. Enjoyable brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shag (2647) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - JUL 21, 2003
Aroma is hoppy and fruity. Flavor is slighty sour fruit, oranges, and hops. This beer really balances out the malt and hops nicely. This is as good if not a better American Pale Ale than Sierra Nevada to me, and that says something.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 12, 2003
Had from bottle on July 11th, 2003 - Day 11 of Blake's Beer Month™
An interesting beer, I enjoyed this one and I'm quite glad I got three in my most recent trade. The beer pours with a nice golden color, a fair amount of carbonation and a good sized head. The aroma is floral with a bit of malt and hops. The taste is quite nice - easy to drink - crisp, malty, a small bit of hops. I really enjoyed this one - it would go quite well with just about any meal...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 10, 2003
This one ranks right up there with Sierra Nevada in my opinion. It is always a safe choice. Always crisp and clean, a nice bitter hoppy pale ale, that is a bit on the musky side but is balanced out by a fruity hoppy aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
stoutosaurus (157) - Clinton, Mississippi, USA - JUN 22, 2003
Not too bad, but I won't be hurrying to have this one again. Holds no special place in my heart.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 11, 2003
Draft: Light amber in color. Served way too cold at first. Light/moderate floral notes; quite smooth.