overall

RATINGS: 503   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
It's nice to be able to finally brew some beer without restrictions on it. we came from Colorado where we could brew or try anything. We've been waiting 7 years to make a stout and we harnessed all that frustration into this batch of beer.

We didn't get caught up in the parameters of a specific style we just brewed a big fat hoppy beautiful beer. The timing of the law change couldn't have been better for us, because it has taken until this summer for us to get set up in our new brewery. We finally have some capacity to experiment with some new style. This could lead into a seasonal offering from us in the future. For now we're just glad we can satisfy the demands of the folks who have been on us since day 1 to make a stout.

Malt: 70/80 crystal malt, chocolate malt, black malt, roasted malt

Hops: Centennial, Willamette and cascade - on the dry hop!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ibrew2or3 (6530) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 8, 2007
Sampled from Keg at the O-Town throwdown. Pours dark and very much stout-like with decent tan head. The aroma has a couple of nice things going for it with some burnt malts mixed with coffee along with a faint malted-chocolate milk shake. Sort of around the backside of the aroma I can sense some hop notes. Once this brew entered my mouth it seemed a bit thin. The flavor was a medley of notes such as dark coffee, some chocolatiness (is that a word?), burnt malts, a bit of cream soda and some hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ross (2052) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 6, 2007
Bottle from Larry, thanks. This stuff pours out like motor oil, very dark and thick looking, with a tan head that resides quickly. Smell has a good amount of chocolate, but a perhaps overwhelming note of hops. Some coffee is present too. Taste is pretty green, and not really how I like my stouts to taste. The chocolate flavor seems to be there, but theres the overwhelming hop odor and taste that takes away from what would be a great stout. I think this will benefit by being in the bottle for 6 months, that should get it to about perfect. Still, a good effort, and a decent imperial stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2007
Huge thanks to Boboski for hosting and Redlight for bringing this down. The aroma is very intense with dark chocolate, esspresso and a hint of soy along with roasted malt and some piney hops. The body is deep black and holds a diminishing thumb thick tan head. Very oily palate, bitter with hops and burnt notes. Dark chocolate, esspresso, soy and a bit of cream in the finish. Solid Impy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
redlight (2303) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2007
i smuggled this 1 over the border for 2 events, Beer Church and the O-town throw down. on tap! intense coffee and chocolate aroma. pours black with a tan head. thick, oiley, intense dark chocolate, coffee, some vanilla, good hop flavor. the 1st time i had this beer was straight from the fermenter at the brewery! Just as good everytime!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Quake1028 (633) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Huge thanks to boboski for having this one on tap at the O Town Throwdown. Body pours a dark brown, with a semi lasting tan head. Aroma is very fruity for an imperial stout, full of hops. Thin on the palate for a stout, medium carbonation. Flavor is hops, chocolate, coffee, wood. Too thin for my liking, especially compared to other imperial stouts. I like my stouts much bigger and bolder than this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CheersMate (1299) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - MAR 3, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2007 I don’t see why everyone loves this beer so much. I went on the brew tour and had one of these darlings afterwards. I must say I wasn’t impressed. This dark beer seemed watered down, not nearly as thick I was expecting it to be. I felt as though I was drinking watered down coffee flavored beer at times, and at other times a cheap Guinness. The availability of this beer is limited as far as bottles are concerned. The color was nice, but it look like pancake syrup and not beer. I would rather have a Celebrator or Taddy Porter. It is funny how they say "Don’t Float The Mainstream" when that is what the company has (maybe it was unintentional) done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 2, 2007
UPDATED: APR 8, 2007 Pours inky and black with a fully receding tan head. Aroma of grapefruit, hop-centric, citric fruits. There’s certainly some dark roast in there, but at this point it is completely overwhelemed! By April, bottles from Jan 19th were just starting to have a noticable recession of hoppiness. What remains is still pinned with undertones of vinous musky fruit, but some subtle chocolate notes and chalkiness are starting to become noticable. Taste is very hoppy, yet not aggressive. After 3 months the hops continue to recede, and the bitterness from the darker roast is starting to peak through. Still, the initial taste is almost all hops, and the aftertaste fades into notes of chocolate and toffee. Mouthfeel is, not surprisingly, heavy, resinous with lively carbonation. I have high hopes for aging this beer, despite what appear to be inconsistencies between bottles. I’m quite interested to see if the beer might balance out some when the hops have become subdued. Next bottle is to be rated 05/06/07, a happy ending indeed!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Odeed (1774) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 1, 2007
(bottle from shp555)black body with no head.aroma is roasted malts and pine type hops,with a bit of chocolate.flavor is very hoppy upfront,followed by a bit of roasty qualities...but not much.maybe some age would help but its just to hoppy to be an imerial stout.plus its a little thin and watery

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - FEB 27, 2007
12oz bottle via trade with shp555 - Thanks Steven! - Pours black with a short tan head that faded pretty quick but did leave a little lace. Aroma is surprisingly hoppy upfront with some pine and even light citrus dominating the nose but behind that you can find some dark fruit and a little coffee. Flavor is lots of pine as well.. A good amount of roasted and even burnt malts. Some dark chocolate, and a little coffee but the finish goes back to that bitterness that is pretty unique for an impy. Full bodied with a fair amount of carbonation and interesting balance. This was certainly an interesting impy..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
iowaherkeye (2686) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - FEB 22, 2007
12oz Best if Enjoyed by: 06/12/07 from Matt TheBeerCellar2, thank you. Aroma of pine needles immediately upon cracking the bottle. Black with a one finger tan head that fades to a creamy film. Aside from the pine there is roasted malts, char, tar, some dark fruit, baker’s cocoa, a bit of salt. Flavor is mainly piney and roasty. There is also some char, bitter chocolate, and some tang from something. Dry finish. Burps pine. Smooth light carbonation with a medium body at best--a little too thin for me. Alcohol was masked very well. Pretty good brew overall.