overall

RATINGS: 519   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
It's nice to be able to finally brew some beer without restrictions on it. we came from Colorado where we could brew or try anything. We've been waiting 7 years to make a stout and we harnessed all that frustration into this batch of beer.

We didn't get caught up in the parameters of a specific style we just brewed a big fat hoppy beautiful beer. The timing of the law change couldn't have been better for us, because it has taken until this summer for us to get set up in our new brewery. We finally have some capacity to experiment with some new style. This could lead into a seasonal offering from us in the future. For now we're just glad we can satisfy the demands of the folks who have been on us since day 1 to make a stout.

Malt: 70/80 crystal malt, chocolate malt, black malt, roasted malt

Hops: Centennial, Willamette and cascade - on the dry hop!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
masonjer (609) - Holt, Michigan, USA - APR 6, 2007
Nose is hops and sweetness. Pours black with a nice half inch head. Taste is sweetness with hops at the end. It wasn’t a very balanced beer, it seemed like everything sort of clashed in my mouth. Citrusy, sweet, roasty, hoppy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jhumphries69 (1034) - Tyrone, Georgia, USA - APR 5, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2007 Pours opaque, solid black with a medium-sized dark tan head that laces the sides of the glass heavily. The aroma packs a wallop of sticky, fruity, pungent-smelling hops. There is also some sweet, sugary malts in the aroma. But mostly, the beer smells green with hops. The flavor starts off bittersweet from roasted grains, sweet malts, and significant hop flavor. The middle of the flavor continues where the aroma left off: sticky and green with hops. There are also flavors of darkly toasted bread and some sugary malts (honey tastes like it’s hiding in there). All the while, the rich mouthfeel slides across the tongue, while tingling it with a soft but noticeable effervescence. The finish is very roasty and stout - along with a very decent dose of hop flavor and bitterness. The after-taste is thick with hops. The finish is very full-bodied, hoppy, and bittersweet. This actually tastes a great deal like an imperial stout I just made (though mine wasn’t quite this powerful with hop aroma and had a great deal more roasted grain flavor). Very nice, overall. A delight for hopheads that also love stouts!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kramer (4896) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2007
12 oz bottle, via shp555. Pours a pitch black colored body under a foamy one finger brown head that receded very quickly to a thin ring. The aroma is very hoppy for an Imperial Stout, lots of citrusy C-hops. Below that is a heavily roasted and burnt malt base with a good bit of coffee and chocolate, and a hint of smoke. The flavor starts out very roasty with a bit of a burnt/ashy character, proceeding to a very chalky dry and lightly bitter finish. The hoppiness comes out a little very late in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and maybe a little oily in texture with a fizzy forced carbonation feel. This was OK, but I can’t say that I really cared for the choice of hops in this. For my tastes there was just a way too heavy citrusy flavor that kind of clashed with the roasty malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - MAR 29, 2007
Bottle from trade with TheBeerCellar2. Thanks Matt. Pours a dark brown color, almost black, with a medium tan head. Aroma of hops and more hops. Does not smell anything like an Imperial Stout. Taste was very dry and hoppy as well. I could barely pick out some of the coffee and roasted malt flavors. It had a small bit of a smokey flavor down deep in the bottle with a dry, citrus finish. A different kind of beer for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Bottle. Courtesy TBC2. Aroma roasty and hoppy and a sweet chocolate. Poured a nice black. Flavor was much as noted in the aroma, a light smokiness intertwined with the hoppiness. Palate was crisp and relatively clean finishing. Overall pretty good, really reminded me of black sun.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bgburdman9 (857) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - MAR 20, 2007
Aroma seemed peaty and smokey with a lot of chocolate and a lot of hops for an imperial stout. Flavor was smooth and hoppy and a descent roasty flavor. Had a little off flavor that threw me for a loop, The body was pretty weak also but the alcohol was well hidden.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Black Color with Dark Tan Head. The Aroma Has Alot of Dry Hopped Fragrance and Citrus. Is This a Stout or IPA? Light Subtle Dark Roasted Malt Foundation. Alot of Dry Hopped Flavor...Roasts and Dry Hop Aftertaste. Certainly a Nice Beer, But Closer to a Double IPA with Dark Malts Than an Imperial Stout. Worth Trying If You Don’t Read the Style First.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6011) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Bottle from Tom and served in my Stone RIS snifter: Opaque with a fading fizzy tan head and some lace, a bit of oily legs as well. The aroma has as surprising fresh hop character giving a grapefruit, pine, clove, white pepper and herbal vapor along with the heavy espresso and chocolate malt combination fused with a dash of smoke.

The taste follows suit to the tee with a heavy handed hop bitterness working with a burnt and sweet malt base. The finish displays a mild spice and earthy sub note. The mouth feel is lively, sharp and is honestly a tad too thin. There is a bit of a papery feel on the aftertaste as well. The alcohol is well hidden, 9% really?

In the end, this reminds me a lot of Three Floyd’s hoppy Black Sun Stout and that is not such a bad thing.

muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Bottle. Thanks NachlamSie! Pours opaque black with a big foamy almost brown head. Very nice appearance. The aroma really surprised me. I was expecting a lot of hops, but still, the two words that escaped my lips were "holy crap". I have never experienced an Imperial Stout that has a citrus aroma like that before. Wow, how strange. Lots of cocoa, coffee, roasty malts and smoke lie in the background, but the hops kept hitting me first. The flavor is the same citrusy pineapple hops with chocolate, dark fruit, and a bit of a bitter finish that seems to come more from dark chocolate notes than the hops. On a side note, I was watching the Ween Live in Chicago DVD while drinking this, and I have to say it’s the perfect companion to such a unique beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerandBlues2 (9588) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAR 16, 2007
Bottle provided via trade with shp555. Pours black with a small fizzy dark brown head, mostly diminishing, spare lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (chocolate, coffee, toasted), average hops (flowers, perfume, pine), average yeast (dough, leather) with notes of smoke and tar. Full bodied, sticky texture, average carbonation and a bitter finish. Long duration, light sweetness, moderate acidity and bitterness.