Brewed by Brouwerij Smisje
Style: Imperial Stout
Mater, Belgium

RATINGS: 350   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Bottle fermented. Brewed with water, barley malt, hops and yeast.

Fin's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Fin (8567) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, - DEC 27, 2007
Bottle, picked up from The Hop Duvel, Gent and consumed 26-12-07 Poured a very dark reddy amber colour with white head. The aroma was sweet malts with sourness around the edges. Tasted roasty with burnt wood dominating initially only to subside to reveal good hops, sourness again, quite tangy but to be fair the sweetness holds firm against all of these other tastes. This is a very interesting and unusual Imperial Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Brewhemia (81) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 31, 2015
This has to be the palest imperial stout I have seen so far. Looks more like a dark barley wine to me. Wow, and the aroma is really like a barley wine. Really yummie though, since I love barley wine. Rasins, prunes, caramel and the likes in the aroma. I like the taste as well though it seems a bit style confused. I like the maltiness that was present in the aroma as well, but I dont quite as much like the sourness it has to it. To me it doesnt really fit the maltiness. If I hadn’t read the label I would have called this a barley wine.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
BlackHaddock (5091) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - FEB 23, 2015
8th Feb 2015: bottle in Brugge. Dark brown pour with a full tanned head for a topping. My bottle gave off a semi-sour wine aroma and tasted similar: might have been skunked somewhere during it’s life: can’t believe Daisey would not have looked after it though. Yeasty, malty and that sourness. Scored objectively as I can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stuedmaster (298) - San Marcos, California, USA - DEC 7, 2014
11.2 oz. bottle from Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido. Dark brown pour with copious beige foam leaving behind thick lacing. Aroma of chocolate, minerals, earth, and booze. Lightly sweet, medium bitter, with a dry palate, very chocolatey, no roasty or toasty flavors. Full body, creamy mouthfeel, bitter finish. Improves in taste as it warms. This is a decent imperial stout but it seems rather one dimensional toward chocolate and bitter. Probably won’t repeat. More like a highly hopped strong porter or dark Belgian strong ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
njnut (362) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - DEC 10, 2014
Poured into snifter a bottle glass brown with a thick lasting tan head. Color aroma and taste not what you’d expect of a stout. Aroma was caramel malts with the slightest hint of coffee. Taste was caramel malt heavy with an alcohol note. Slightly bitter in the finish and oily. Alcohol more pronounced in the finish. To me and I know this is a bit differant than the other reviews but it reminded me more of a nutty British brown than a stout. That’s not to say I didnt like it, in fact I did but I think it is mislabeled.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JPDIPSO (5124) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 27, 2015
Copper to umber in color with a giant, creamy, vanilla colored head. Solid sheet of lace. Toasted and acid dark malt scents. Hints of herbs and alcohol. As I pour the last of the bottle, some real sludge at the bottom of this one. Now its appearance is murky brown with fish food adrift. A smoky malt profile. Light and quite airy in feel. A savory brew, but not a dark roasted malt stout. This has more qualities of a either a traditional, Belgian strong or barley wine. Certainly has its complexities. Ok, perhaps a quad. I seem to be searching for more. Vinous towards the end. I find myself taking smaller quaffs to limit the overload. Perhaps I am not worthy, to steal a line from Stone. 2/10

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
florent.janssens (240) - - DEC 27, 2014
Pas le goût classique du stout. Goût de caramel. On ne sent pas les 10% d’alcool. Arrière goût un peu trop léger.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Iphonephan (4781) - McLean, Virginia, USA - MAY 6, 2015
From a 33 cl bottle. Pours a cloudy brown with a thick bubbly tan head. Somewhat herbal nose. Flavors of caramel. Lots of carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
kraddel (4771) - some beerplace, BELGIUM - JAN 3, 2015
@ botteltje. Pours dark brown, good white head. Smell is earthy, spices, green leaves. Taste is bit bitter ( green aspect) roasted malts , chocolaty, earthy in the back. Some spices. Slightly overcarbonated and too thin for 10 abv. Nice, chocolatty aftertaste. Some metalic maltyness

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerBaboon (1787) - FINLAND - APR 25, 2015
Pours brown with off-white head. Aroma is spicy and fructose (fruity, sugary). Flavour is roasted, sweet, fruity and dry bitter. Not very imperial stout -like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ulysse (355) - Brussels, BELGIUM - DEC 27, 2014
Strong aroma of raisins. Tastes like the roasted raisins on top of the bread. Caramel hint and a shade of liquorice.