overall
Brewed by Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corp
Style: Pale Lager
Jhongjheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan

RATINGS: 193   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.99   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A type of lager beer made from barley malt, hops and ponlai rice, with a golden hue and unique taste, it is honored world-wide.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
haddon90 (1423) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2004
I totally agree with Jeremy. This is a really good American Standard. Intersting golden yellow our with a medium sized head. Some chunks were floating in the beer, I thought that was odd. Faint hops, apples, and some citrus. Great taste for a Standard!! Nice finish...Kind of a dry bitterness at the end, but still, I was impressed. Bought this 12 oz can at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jgb9348 (4626) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - SEP 24, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2003 Rating #2 (16-November-2003):
Alright, I took a bunch of crap from Per and everyone else about this beer, so here goes another CAN. I bought it from the same store, most likely from the same batch, so we'll see how it goes. Cloudy orange tinted golden colour which really does look like a witbier and contains a dense white head. A little worse aroma than the first can, showing some green apples, slight citrus, but also some off aromas. Light-bodied; Mild flavour of apples, mixed with metal and stale hops. Aftertaste missing some of the twang in the aroma, but left fairly clean and refreshed. Overall, this is a bit worse than the first can, but I still feel that it is above average for the style. The appearance and aroma definately make it better than 99% of the other American Standards. I bought this twelve ounce can from Beers of the World in Rochester, New York again. Scores for this rating: 7,5,5,2,11

Rating #1 (24-September-2003):
Kind of a joke for me, I found the can of it and it looks exactly how it is pictured on the left. Funny to see, but let's see how it is: The pour is wierd...especially out of a can. Very hazy orangey golden colour with a thin white head. I can't believe i'm saying this, but a GREAT smelling beer. Smells like Unibroue Ephemere only better: Green apples and lemons are the big factors, but it is actually really nice. Light to Medium-bodied; The taste is fairly mild, but some of the fruityness gets in the taste. A bit of the malt is tasted, but not too much. Aftertaste is also fairly mute with a bit of the sweetness and fruityness showing, but not much. This beer was very fresh, and I can't believe i'm saying this, but it was pretty decent beer. By far the best American Standard i've ever had. I am going to buy a six pack of this and give it to all my friends so they can laugh at me, but when they taste it...they'll realise that it's better than any BMC/MolBatt prodcut! I bought this twelve ounce CAN from Beers of the World in Rochester, New York. Scores for this rating: 8,5,6,2,12

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jercraigs (7456) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 15, 2003
Blackout beer #1! Drank during massive blackout across Ontario. Pale yellow, and fizzy. Pours big white head that vanishes. Smells faintly of hops. Bitter finish that doesn't linger on the tongue. Bit of alcohol esters in the background.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
mds (2194) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 3, 2003
crisp, dry, bland flavour. Very pale golden, and no head. nothing unique about this beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JUL 28, 2003
I like the fact that this is honoured worldwide and I am the 29th person to rate this. I had it in Taipei which is only to say that the contents of the can were fresher than most. Nothing more to be said that itiis a lager that has rice as an adjunct, meaning more alcohol with less body and flavour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 25, 2003
Bottle. This beer impressed me because (1) It did not suck and (2) It was three months past the expiration date as far as I could tell from the Mandarin on the bottle, and it still did not suck. This is going to be 100% against the grain, but I thought it was a decent pilsener. Crisp, fresh, and yes, it was a bit watery but I couldn't get a trace of skunk or any other kinds of nastiness in the taste. I'd have guessed that it was something much higher regarded if I were blindfolded, like an attempt at cloning Pilsner Urquell. 4-5 of these went well with my $400 meal, which included a pigeon, shark fin soup, deep fried fish heads, a one foot wide New Zeland crab that was alive 30 minutes before we ate it, lots of other stuff that I have no idea what it was, this wonderful almond-cream pastry desert, and the owner of the restaurant coming to our table like every 5 minutes. Going out with Taiwanese vendors is great...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
Pale yellow. White fizzy head. Light malt and some DMS on the nose. Light body. Clean, light malt flavour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 3, 2003
Brown bottle in NYC. Off-yellow color, a bit of head. Strong rice aroma but oddly attractive--on a blind tasting I might have confused this with a Belgian dark ale (aromas that shouldn't be in an American standard but aren't bad). But in the flavor the same elements come out wrong--a strong cardboard flavor with notes of dust and plastic. Passable body.

1.3
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
pondoshuffles (141) - Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 30, 2003
So, this is a beer? There is little beer flavour to commend it. Still, what flavour it does have is not objectionable. Maybe they could spend what they saved on the can graphics to add some flavour!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 10, 2003
Grainy flavour. Bitter aftertaste, with a light taste. Not a bad beer, better than I expected.