RATINGS: 92   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Inspired by Mexican hot chocolate.Telegraph Winter Ale warms even the coldest of nights with hints of cinnamon,allspice,and sweet ancho chilies.Using generous amounts of chocolate and caramel malts,we brew this beer in limited quantities as a special treat for our friends and families.Be sure to enjoy it cool,rather than cold to fully appreciate its complexity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DenverLogan (1100) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - MAR 10, 2008
Dark brown; small head. Funky spice and toasty malt aroma. Absolutely crazy brew here with herbal flavors, pepper and other spices, bitter chocolate, other herbs, mouthwash, we’re talking funky spicy wild!!

MuertosPorter (24) - California, USA - MAR 4, 2008
Tasting notes from 1/4/08 Sampled from bottle. Pours a deep brown with a minimal amount of tan head. Aromas of cloves, cinnamon, some burnt wood. I poured this when it was still on the colder side, everything seemed muted. As it reads on the bottle "Be sure to enjoy it cool, rather than cold to fully appreciate it’s complexity". It is true, as it warmed the flavors really began to reveal. Bitter chocolates, spicy chilies, cinnamon, cloves, some vanilla. A really nice warming effect on the back of the palate. There seems to be something very special about this beer. Very original, not like any other winter ale. Outstanding!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - FEB 18, 2008
Bought a bottle @ Liar’s Club Grand Opening. The bartender told me I find the diamond in the rough. Yeah OK I could give the extra glasses of it away. Poured a clear deep chestnut color with an off-white head. Big sweet and spiced aroma. Cloves and smoke. Spicy and sweet flavor and when I say spice it was I mean it. Too much for my liking. Malt and clove. Medium body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JAN 25, 2008
Not my favorite. I wish I would have known about the chiles and spices before I drank it, because the finish really affected my enjoyment. I will try it again next year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - JAN 20, 2008
Bottle, shared with Bartzilla. Dark brown color. Trippy spicy sweet aroma. Flavor is cinnamon, clove, toothpaste and bubblegum. A little pepper on the finish, but I was surprised that the chili’s weren’t more prominent. Just not my thing.

riversideAK (6160) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JAN 14, 2008
On tap at Stone. Dark brown with a nice off white head. Aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate, and roasted malt. The flavor has sweet chocolate, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and some roast. A little bit of dark fruit appears as it warms. Creamy mouthfeel with a rather clean finish with just a touch of spice lingering. One of the best winter ales I have enjoyed this season.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fro2218 (471) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Dark brown in color. A ton of spice in the aroma. Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and mace. Some chocolate and wonderful dark malty caramel. very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kp (10883) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - OCT 21, 2007
Date: 10/20/2007
Mode: Bottle
Source: Tasting, Cellar Party

dark brown, big beige head, sweet and spicy dark plum and raison aroma, sweet malt flavor, touch of chocolate, nice fruity sweetness, lots of Christmas spices kick in to balance the malt, light bitter finish,

Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 6/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 13/20
Rating: 3.2/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: **+/4

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours a nearly opaque dark mahogany with a thin-lacing tan head. Aroma of lightly sweet dark caramel malt and a hint of cinnamon toward a semi-tart finish. Body starts with a sweet dark caramel and spiced finish with light fruity tartness throughout. Finishes thinner and semi-tart with a hint of doughy yeast. Interesting, but I’d like it without the tartness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
shp555 (2024) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours a deep brown color with a brown head. Aroma is herbal, spice, and cinnamon. Flavor is malty, roasty, spicy, and cinnamon.