RATINGS: 90   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.39/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Inspired by Mexican hot chocolate.Telegraph Winter Ale warms even the coldest of nights with hints of cinnamon,allspice,and sweet ancho chilies.Using generous amounts of chocolate and caramel malts,we brew this beer in limited quantities as a special treat for our friends and families.Be sure to enjoy it cool,rather than cold to fully appreciate its complexity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
notalush (5512) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2009
Thanks to TheCheeseMan for this - this bottle has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks, and Iím sick of looking at it every time I go in there to grab a pickle or some cheese of something, so here we go - fizzy dark ruby beer - minimal, poorly sustained head - the aroma starts things off in a promising direction, with loads of spices and herbs (cinnamon, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns), and an underlying caramel/cocoa/nutty sweetness - the flavor is tart and acidic - at first, I thought this was infected, but additional sips made me believe this was intentional - underneath this, that complex spice combination from the aroma comes through, as well as a light caramel sweetness - quite a bit of tart, nearly sour cherry character throughout - near the end, the beer gets very peppery and warming, with the slightest hint of chocolate - finish of lingering herbs and astringent acidity - Iím still not entirely sure this bottle is what the brewer intended it to be - either way, itís a so-so drinking experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cavie (4043) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 2, 2011
Bottle. Pours a very dark brown color with a ring of tan head. Aroma is chocolate, spices and warm bready notes. Flavor is dry spice, ginger and all-spice. Finishes with lots of spice evident.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Chaseman (50) - Massachusetts, USA - DEC 15, 2011
Dark brown pour, smells of cinnamon and nutmeg with slight chocolate. A little funkier than I was expecting (I was expecting something more along the lines of a chocolate stout with some winter spice kick), but it was a pleasant surprise as the cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate spice are quite strong and create a unique mixture of flavors, but almost in an overpowering way.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bytemesis (5175) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 20, 2012
Tap. Pours clear chestnut with a medium tan creamy head that leaves decent lacing. Aroma is very spicy, with notes of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, toffee. Flavor is super spiced, hard to find a beer in there, sweet with a mild zesty bitterness. Medium body. Pleasant enough, but not really a beer. I was getting tired of it after four ounces.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
nealblind (1284) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - JUL 7, 2015
Dark red brown color some white head. Aroma big nutmeg, cinnamon some pepper. Tastes only slightly chocolate. tobacco, like a brown. ginger, peppers come though, but it seems like they are trying to bury them in a mountain of other spice (nutmeg). errs on the sweet side. light body for a big beer. Very unique, but probably wouldnít get again.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - FEB 18, 2008
Bought a bottle @ Liarís Club Grand Opening. The bartender told me I find the diamond in the rough. Yeah OK I could give the extra glasses of it away. Poured a clear deep chestnut color with an off-white head. Big sweet and spiced aroma. Cloves and smoke. Spicy and sweet flavor and when I say spice it was I mean it. Too much for my liking. Malt and clove. Medium body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
daknole (10350) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JAN 2, 2009
bottle from Oakes and Beershine. Amber pour. Aroma is spicy as hell. Ovedone on the spices. Flavor is also too spicy. Base beer seems like it would be good, but they went nuts with the spices.

Pinball (11704) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 23, 2009
clear brown, smooth light brown head. faint flowery aroma, dark berries. flavor is boozy, strong dark fruits, raisins, dark caramel. dark fruity bitter.

hayduke (4123) - Eureka, California, USA - JUN 27, 2011
Shared with Strykzone in a joint tasting. The cork on the bottle smacked me in the forehead when I removed the cage. Good thing it did not hit me in the eye. Lot of carbonation in the bottle. While it is titled a Winter Ale, it is really a spice beer. It pours a rich light brown color with a huge tan head that settled very slowly. The nose is spices, spices and spices with the major aroma Allspice. Medium body and a mouthfeel that numbs the tongue and lips. The flavor is all sorts of spices and chili pepper, with some chocolate. The finish has some other flavors but by the time I got to it my taste buds were so overwhelmed by all the spices I was not sure what it was This beer was certainly unique and actually drinkable, but not something I would be interested in trying again.

mikem409 (1913) - bloomfield, Michigan, USA - DEC 1, 2011
not so sure about mexican hot chocolate did not get much spice or chocolate got banana and clove.