Temperance Root Down
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 3.59/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Robust Porter. Fall/Winter Seasonal. We all have a history—roots. It’s great to embrace the past, but you can’t live there. Smooth and endlessly drinkable, this robust porter, brewed with chicory and licorice and tinged with a touch of smoked malt, reinterprets its roots.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AndyReynolds (1020) - Dayton, Kentucky, USA - FEB 10, 2015
Draft on nitro. Solid porter. Burnt malt notes with coffee and dark chocolate. Incredibly smooth palate, but it was on beer gas.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
miyauchi38 (541) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2015
ポーター 泡の沈み方が&

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Mittenator (1516) - Michigan, USA - DEC 31, 2014
Nitro draft at temperance. Deep brown with a tan head. Odd caramel aroma. Light chocolate malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
AWISLguy (1594) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 14, 2014
On nitro, from Timothy OTooles at the BCBS release on Spit Cup weekend. Pours dark brown with a nitro beige head. Aroma has oatmeal and dark chocolate, later some roast shows thru. Taste has earth and bakers choc, with a touch of grain and a nice caramel malty base. Finishes sweet with a touch of bitterness. ck1 says 14. Maybe, there just is the nitro aversion that it is smoothing everything out. 13.8, certainly nothing objectional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ARH (728) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 22, 2014
On nitro, poured into an english pint glass. Warm, mellow aromas of, most notably, coffee and cacao come through with a light licorice and a swell of butterscotch / caramel late. It’s a rich, dark, opaque brown black color with a dense, soft, and thick nitro tan head that sticks around throughout and leaves a heavy lace along the glass. The taste is a smokey and rich, medium high sweet and medium bitter. It’s a full bodied, viscous and sticky, yet smooth beer with a light, soft, nitro carbonation. Flavors of caramel are most dominant with supporting notes of coffee, licorice, and earth. It finishes with spice and smokey malts. Some coffee ground-like notes come into the finish late and carry into the coffee and cacao aftertaste that’s light, mellow, and short.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Christpuncher (1689) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2014
Nice light porter. Slightly chocolately an licorice flavored. Little smoke in there as well. Had this one at temperance. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Barnoloid (277) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2014
Draft pour at Temperance brewery. This is a pleasing porter, bringing together smoky malts and peat with a anise, spice back end. The nose is coffee, bakers chocolate and a hint of chicory. A really good porter, that has a fantastic dark brown appearance and coffee nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kaser (3650) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 31, 2014
Decent porter. Draft at farmhouse in Evanston. Milky and choclate but a lighter one. Just had an imperial that fucked up my taste buds though. Want to try it again

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2716) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - APR 14, 2014
I kick it root down
I put my root down
It’s not a put down
I put my foot down
And then I make some love, I put my root down
Like sweetie pie by the stone alliance
Everybody knows I’m known for dropping science
I’m electric like dick hyman
I guess you’d expect to catch the crew rhymin’
Never let you down with the stereo sound
So mike, get on the mic and turn it out
We’re talking root down, I put my boot down
And if you want to battle me, you’re putting loot down
I said root down, it’s time to scoot down
I’m a step up to the mic in my goose down

So, extra points for the name that is definitely not a reference to the Beasties but whatever. The beer is pretty wonderful, I thought it was a small Baltic Porter. Very clean and mineral roast on the nose. Flavor is well attenuated, some caramel sweetness and a clean roast finish. Very light and very flavorful. 6oz draft at Jerry’s in WIcker Park.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rubbishystuff (1954) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2014
At Tap house Des Plains. The chicory and licorice were fairly prominent in this . Lots of flavor for the strength. Maybe a bit too spiced for me. Serving: Tap