Temperance Root Down
     click to upload

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.69/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Robust Porter. Fall/Winter Seasonal. We all have a history—roots. It’s great to embrace the past, but you can’t live there. Smooth and endlessly drinkable, this robust porter, brewed with chicory and licorice and tinged with a touch of smoked malt, reinterprets its roots.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Christpuncher (1098) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2014
Nice light porter. Slightly chocolately an licorice flavored. Little smoke in there as well. Had this one at temperance. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Barnoloid (157) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2014
Draft pour at Temperance brewery. This is a pleasing porter, bringing together smoky malts and peat with a anise, spice back end. The nose is coffee, bakers chocolate and a hint of chicory. A really good porter, that has a fantastic dark brown appearance and coffee nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kaser (2606) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 31, 2014
Decent porter. Draft at farmhouse in Evanston. Milky and choclate but a lighter one. Just had an imperial that fucked up my taste buds though. Want to try it again

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2404) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - APR 14, 2014
I kick it root down
I put my root down
It’s not a put down
I put my foot down
And then I make some love, I put my root down
Like sweetie pie by the stone alliance
Everybody knows I’m known for dropping science
I’m electric like dick hyman
I guess you’d expect to catch the crew rhymin’
Never let you down with the stereo sound
So mike, get on the mic and turn it out
We’re talking root down, I put my boot down
And if you want to battle me, you’re putting loot down
I said root down, it’s time to scoot down
I’m a step up to the mic in my goose down

So, extra points for the name that is definitely not a reference to the Beasties but whatever. The beer is pretty wonderful, I thought it was a small Baltic Porter. Very clean and mineral roast on the nose. Flavor is well attenuated, some caramel sweetness and a clean roast finish. Very light and very flavorful. 6oz draft at Jerry’s in WIcker Park.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
rubbishystuff (1823) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2014
At Tap house Des Plains. The chicory and licorice were fairly prominent in this . Lots of flavor for the strength. Maybe a bit too spiced for me. Serving: Tap

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tmoreau (2363) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - APR 3, 2014
On tap at Lake St. Kitchen & Bar in Oak Park, IL., and dispensed to a shaker showing a black/brown hue, with very frothy, tan head foam, and curtainy cling to the lacing. The nose was grain, toasted bread crust, roastiness, and mocha notes. Medium bodied, with soft carbonation, and some flake induced creaminess? The flavor continued the roasted & mocha notes, and a bit of char & chicory contributed some astringency to the moderate hop bitterness that finished with some dryness, and intensified some on warming. Thinned out a bit toward the finale, but remained quite drinkable, and paired well with the panini & chips.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstraw (1913) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Draft at Jerry’s. Black with good, creamy, tan head, modest wet lacing / Nose of toasted grain, coffee, caramel, cream / Medium body, lightly sweet but with nice, hoppy balance, dry & lightly bitter finish / Mellow flavors of roast barley, bittersweet chocolate, prune, licorice, grassy chicory, cream / A solid, sessionable porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
nr706 (11) - Evanston, Illinois, USA - FEB 5, 2014
Roasty, with complex notes from chickory. Nice, full mouthfeel. Worth seeking out. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone