overall

RATINGS: 743   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This mammoth imperial red ale leads with a tantalizing hop aroma that is quickly complemented by an enormous malt backbone. Finishing with a multitude of hoppy goodness, this “Monster Beer” is truly not for the faint at heart.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ando (105) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - MAY 3, 2008
*liked it ok, would not buy* aroma: smells nice, carmel hops . floral. app: hazy brown amber. flavor: HOPS. dry mealy malts. nice balance. its ok. not my tea. palate: fine OA: good beer. not enough malt magic for me.

mbeem (104) - New Hope, Alabama, USA - SEP 25, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2006 Whoa!! A big beer with a big personality!! Pours a cloudy dark red with a 1 finger light tan head. Nose explodes with floral hops, citrus, grapefruit, earthy grasses, hints of roasted malt and pine needles. Incredibly complex flavor of citrus, morphs to a malty sweetness that takes the bite off the hops. A hint alcohol in the finish rounds it all out. Oily mouth feel. Much more enjoyable IMO than the "Bastard"

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheCEO (100) - USA - APR 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2007 What an experience...This is a Beer’s Beer. I can’t see myself drinking anything better than this in the immediate future. It is officially my favorite as of right now. UPDATE - I’ve bought all the remaining bottles of this in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN. Chat Town is MY town, bitches.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
burtonbaton930 (100) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 1, 2011
This thing really is a monster!!. Dark red, hops try and jump you the second you pop the cap. Smells serious with a huge resinous sent with dark caramel malts in the background. Tastes malty sweet with a slight roasty tinge and finishes with that huge hop bitterness. Very good brew that lives up to its name.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
duaneh (100) - - MAR 20, 2012
Pours a dark amber color, nice carbonation, nice small foamy tan head which lasts awhile. Deep caramel malt aromas. T astes like there might be some rye in there too. The hops aren’t too big, but still have a pleasant lingering quality. A smooth beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
mattern33 (99) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 8, 2013
Bottle. Medium amber cloudy color. Malty aroma. Malty flavor nd palate. More malty than i like. Too malty; not a hop variety i enjoy. Eh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
droopy49 (97) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 18, 2006
Thanks to SpringsLicker for this 12 oz bottle! Poured a great deep ruby with a fizzy off-white head. Spicy aroma with some citrus and malty notes. Flavor is hoppy with some caramel and citrus notes. Good malty backbone almost bodering on a barleywine. The name seemed a bit misleading as I was expecting a brutal hop attack on my palate. Great beer noththeless. Thanks again Jay!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
califbeer69 (96) - California, USA - APR 19, 2012
Pours a dark amber copper color with a small white head. Aromas of sweet caramel malt, and floral hops. Taste is initially caramel sweet followed by a great hop bite. Mouthfeel is moderate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mfaulke (92) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2007
This beer wasn’t at all what I was expecting. It should have ben called Big Malty Monster. It’s marked 2006 so I guess the hops have mellowed since then. I did thoroughly enjoy this beer though. I loved the rich malt component. This is a complex beer, and I taste something new in every one that I drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
luiss (89) - Elmsford, New York, USA - APR 22, 2007
First off I thought this was an I.p.a. In any case, its a good red ale. Malty with a dark reedish copper color to it. Thick lacing, and a nice dry hop flavor to it. I had this brew a bit too cold.