RATINGS: 748   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
This mammoth imperial red ale leads with a tantalizing hop aroma that is quickly complemented by an enormous malt backbone. Finishing with a multitude of hoppy goodness, this “Monster Beer” is truly not for the faint at heart.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheCEO (100) - USA - APR 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 9, 2007 What an experience...This is a Beer’s Beer. I can’t see myself drinking anything better than this in the immediate future. It is officially my favorite as of right now. UPDATE - I’ve bought all the remaining bottles of this in my hometown of Chattanooga, TN. Chat Town is MY town, bitches.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
droopy49 (97) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 18, 2006
Thanks to SpringsLicker for this 12 oz bottle! Poured a great deep ruby with a fizzy off-white head. Spicy aroma with some citrus and malty notes. Flavor is hoppy with some caramel and citrus notes. Good malty backbone almost bodering on a barleywine. The name seemed a bit misleading as I was expecting a brutal hop attack on my palate. Great beer noththeless. Thanks again Jay!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
califbeer69 (96) - California, USA - APR 19, 2012
Pours a dark amber copper color with a small white head. Aromas of sweet caramel malt, and floral hops. Taste is initially caramel sweet followed by a great hop bite. Mouthfeel is moderate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mfaulke (92) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2007
This beer wasn’t at all what I was expecting. It should have ben called Big Malty Monster. It’s marked 2006 so I guess the hops have mellowed since then. I did thoroughly enjoy this beer though. I loved the rich malt component. This is a complex beer, and I taste something new in every one that I drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
StoutCat (89) - North Laurel, Maryland, USA - DEC 17, 2007
Pours a reddish brown, thin head. Malty aroma. Flavor is great with a nice blend of malt and hops, with a nice finish that is a good balance, slightly bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
luiss (89) - Elmsford, New York, USA - APR 22, 2007
First off I thought this was an I.p.a. In any case, its a good red ale. Malty with a dark reedish copper color to it. Thick lacing, and a nice dry hop flavor to it. I had this brew a bit too cold.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PickettsCharge (89) - USA - OCT 15, 2008
Pours a clear ruby red color with a small khaki colored head. Nose id very hoppy which is very enticing to this double ipa, caramel leads in the malty backbone with citrus and touch of earthiness. Initial taste is sweet, caramel, red berries, brown sugar. Mid palate to finish displays good hop balance that clean and crisp. Slight dry finish but still good palate duration. Touch of spicines from the alcohol is also present, however still well masked. Great double IPA,but was expecing more hops especially for the name.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kenjohn (88) - Texas, USA - MAR 7, 2012
Reddish-brown color with a thick, light-brown head. Aroma is almost like a Sweet Tart, as it is fruity yet has a nice bitter presence to it. Nice full mouthfeel. Flavor is very malty, with a rich caramel presence and hoppy finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jj21 (84) - Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2008
12 ounce bottle thanks to timtheenchanta 2005 edition deep copper color with a great tan head. Like the Rye Squared, I was very impressed by the density and retention of the head. Aroma is a very sweet caramel from the Huge malty presence balanced by the citrusy pine undertone. Not quite as thick and viscus as the Rye Squared but similar. Easier to drink. Another impressive offering from a brewery I’d like to get to know better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tzakiel (81) - Virginia, USA - JAN 18, 2010
One of my favorites... hoppy, but not as overpowering as some other "super hoppy" beers. Balanced with generous malts and ale-like finish.