overall

RATINGS: 389   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.76   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
“With its golden hue and gentle complexity, the Terrapin Golden Ale brings refreshing to a whole new level. Its combination of flavor, smoothness and drinkability is difficult to find in most craft beers. Sometimes even hopheads like us want nothing more than to enjoy a beer that is crisp, smooth and refreshing. That is why we created the perfect session beer - the Terrapin Golden Ale.”

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 13, 2005
Clearish Golden color, extremely transparent. Fairly decent sized head that is very white. Light sweet corn aroma, not canned corn swill aroma, but true sweet corn. Really light, slightly creamy, it really tastes like im drinking rotten whippen cream. Not good after the great stuff i had from terrapin.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
lotsobeer (3) - athens, Georgia, USA - JUN 8, 2005 does not count
I have so far appreciated every beer that terrapin brewing company has came out with and look forward to the release of the american imperial pilsner. The cream ale was absolutely disgusting. The hole beer except for the appearence was horrible. The deciding factor, in my opinion, was that it was due to the bottling. The cream ale is pretty good on draft, well considerably better compared to the bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JUN 7, 2005
12oz bottle and draft. I love Terrapin, but cream ales aren’t my thing. Clear gold pour with white head. Honeyish sweet aroma that is not strong. Light malty and creamy taste. Good cream ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rajendra82 (960) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - JUN 3, 2005
I spotted this beauty for the first time today at my local package store in bottles, so I had to grab a six pack. As I poured the chilled bottle into the obligatory Pilsner glass, I observed a crystal clear, golden yellow, well carbonated beer with a smallish head. While the look was similar to many macro lagers, the smell was that of a much better crafted beer, with the sweet honey like malts touched by a hint of hops. The presence of slight cooked corn smell was the only distracting point, but based on the description on the neck label, this was likely intentional. The taste was delicate, and far from simplistic. The sweet malts and corn juice were balanced well by the bitterness of the hops. Light and clean, without being grainy or bland, this beer will be well liked by most newcomers to the craft scene. The body was silky smooth and flawless in the mouthfeel department despite the low strength. As the label proclaims, like sunshine in a glass. Never will I have to revert to a macro again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Hangover (1064) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - JUN 3, 2005
Poured a clear golden with a very small and quickly diminishing head. Relatively weak aroma with some faint fruit as advertised. Taste is of sweet malts, but very mild. Creamy mouthfeel makes me wish I could try it on tap rather than from a bottle. Decent crisp finish. OK. Cream ales are a pretty weak style to begin with, in a cream ale all I really like are the ones heavy on vanilla, which this one isnt. I’m also comparing it to this breweries Pale Ale which is one of those beers I always have on hand.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
PorterPounder (5704) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAY 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2005 12 oz bottle, Holmes Liquors, Dalton, Ga. Pours a pale golden with little to no head. Slightly stale aroma, some buttery notes. Flavor is slighlty salty, some butter and slight bitterness, none overly pronounced. Smooth drinking, just not too exciting. Decent mouthfeel, has some crispness to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - MAY 27, 2005
Bottle from Goldtwins. Pours out a golden amber color with a fair white head. Good lacing. Aroma is pleasantly grassy with a little bit of ester, perhaps a hint of corn. Light bodied and lively carbonation. Flavor is suprisingly hopped with a drying quality. Slightly sweet malt and corn flavors blend in nicely. This would be an excellent summer beer. Subtly good!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - APR 25, 2005
Poured a clear golden color with a huge white head. Fizzy body. Aroma of light sweet malt. Wife said it smells like Bud. Flavor is lgiht, sweet, and a touch of hops. Light bodied and smooth. Could be a nice warm weather beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
skaughty (647) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Fruity and corn-laced, could be disgusting, but isn’t. The aroma is soft and undetectable, but the flavor is grainy and ful l (for the style). Finish is sweet, with a subdued bitterness and a nice lacing on the tongue.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 9, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2005 I fianally found this one at my local beer store and had to give it a try. The first thing that surprised me was the aroma...baby throw up. The flavor reminded me of a mixture of Budweiser and Schlitz malt liquor. This is horrible. I actually poured half the glass down the drain. I love Terrapin Rye Pale Ale and was anticipating another great beer from this Georgia brewery. The only explanantion I could come up with was that this is their attempt at a mass market beer. I’ve just lost a lot of respect for this brewery. I guess I can always use the remainder of the sixer for cooking.