Terrapin Midnight Project Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout

overall
Formerly brewed at Terrapin Beer Company
Style: Sweet Stout
Athens, Georgia USA

RATINGS: 190   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Terrapin Midnight Project Brew Two 2009. Sometime around midnight in a city nobody can agree on, the idea for Terrapin and Left Hand to brew a collaboration beer was born. Depth Charge is the second in the series of one-time releases between the two breweries. Be wary of the calm before the storm. This creamy, deeply delicious milk stout will seduce you into submission while the explosion of hand roasted gourmet espresso will blow you into next week. We Shall Drink in the breweries. We Shall Drink in the pubs, We Shall Drink the the comfort of our homes. We Shall Never Surrender.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HonusWagner (1380) - Florida, USA - APR 18, 2014
Quite possibly the best beer either brewery ever made or will make. Coffee and cocoa on the nice silky body of a good lacto stout. Wish I had gotten some bottles for myself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jbruner (2316) - Athens, Georgia, USA - DEC 31, 2012
2009 vintage shared today. Pours a silky black from the bottle with thin off-white head and little to no lacing. Aroma of espresso mixed with cream and sugar. Taste is very sweet out of the gate, with a hint of coffee and roasted malts, and a bitter, almost grassy finish. Nice and thick on the mouth but goes down really smooth for the viscosity. Great beer; too bad it was a one off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
radarsock (913) - Vermont, USA - SEP 13, 2012
Pours black. Silken. Frothy. On the nose I get frappucino, roast, booze, herbs, pine needles and cocoa. Tastes mostly of an iced Irish coffee, charcoal, hops, milk chocolate and rubber. I like that its sweetness actually worked; it’s impressive because I dislike sweetness generally in my beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - MAY 1, 2012
Originally reviewed: 1/31/10. So glad a friend of mine could find this bottle near him, since I missed my chance in this area. He brought it up this weekend when he visited. Bottle split with him, poured my part into a snifter. Pours a very thick deep black with a thin tan head on top. Retention was fair; left little sticky lace. Scents of vanilla, dark espresso, milk chocolate, and a light roasted wood scent on the finish. The body was creamy smooth. This got even creamier as I continued to sip. Big roasted coffee flavors all over this. Finish was very sweet and chocolatey. Hop bitterness was low. Wow. This was worth the wait. Nice work, Terrapin!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TURDFERGUSON (3954) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - APR 28, 2012
Another beer that I was sure I had rated. Anyway, this is probably my favorite Terrapin beer of all time and probably my favorite Left Hand one as well. I remember the coffee being very well balanced and nothing being too sweet or bitter. Hope they will make this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
crosamich (431) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - MAR 31, 2012
Oct2010. Nose was deep roasty goodness. I would agree that mouthfeel was maybe a bit thin but i think it worked quite well for this one as a milk stout should be. The lighter body paired well with the dark, roasted coffee notes without the acidity/bitterness that some coffee beers have. May have been a bit of a halo effect From the previous beer but I look forward to the reprisal of this beer should it ever happen.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
demdeac40 (299) - Etowah, North Carolina, USA - NOV 13, 2011
Pours dark as night with a nice brown head. The nose is full of roast coffee, dark chocolate and a hint of sweetness. Smooth and almost creamy on the palate. A good bitter dark roast on the mid palate and then finishes with the slight sweetness from the milk sugar. Great beer for today.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 5, 2011
A review from notes at a CL release. I actually had this one twice during the release as there happened to be multiple bottles. One of my favorite sweet milk stouts, loads of smooth roasty coffee aromas. The coffee in the nose is potent and sharp, but would make you think it wasn’t a heavy blend. Very smooth on the palate, I really enjoy the coffee beers that Terrapin puts out (wake n bake too!). I would want to have again, but its not a must, there are other more accessable and comperable milk stouts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
alexsdad06 (5410) - Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2011
22 oz. bottle from ksurkin. Pours a very dark brown color with a medium sized beige head. The aroma has a blend of strong coffee or espresso and sweet chocolate and lactose sugar. The flavor is roasted malt, black coffee, espresso, lactose, chocolate with a hint of char. There is a mild tart character that distracts slightly. I thought it was a touch on the thin side. Overall, pretty tasty.

madsberg (10184) - Søborg, DENMARK - AUG 12, 2011
Bottled. Txh doodler for this. Pitch black coloured. Dense brown lasting head. Aroma of loads of coffee, chocolate, light brown sugar, some herbs, vague smoke, Chocolate, coffee, liqourice, herbs, sweetness, grass in the flavour. Very dense coffee. Medium to full bodied. Ends on a sweet coffee dense bitterness. Interestning and nice.