overall

RATINGS: 1048   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
We Consider this an extreme version of an American Pale Ale. It has a very up front floral and citrus aroma from a late cascade addition and dry hopping with Amarillo. This beer also has a big malt background to balance the bitterness of the hops. The rye malt cleans up your palette after you swallow so the hop flavor does not stick in your mouth too long.
Now available in bottles.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
legion242 (2343) - Richardson, Texas, USA - FEB 10, 2005
First. I must apologize to this beer- I drank you in one of the worst beer bars I have ever experienced: Taco Mac. Perhaps if I had had you in a more respectable establishment, you would have tasted better.But I ad serious questions regarding the cleanliness of the glass and the waiter pissed me off. I will try you again soon, I promise.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Thanks to Degrath for giving me this one.

Pours a hazy pumpkin body and a fluffy eggshell head. The aroma and flavore are rather malty… notes of caramel and other sweet grains. There is a bit of hoppyness here, with notes of spruce and pine chips. There is a great butteryness texture to the body… very creamy. This fully reminds me of Honey Nut Cheerios but with a crisp lightly hoppy bite in the finish… This is rather enjoyable. Just what I needed to calm my rather anticipation ridden and demanding afternoon. Man, That MoFo better call or fax me by 6:00pm or I’ll be pretty pissed!
Now back to work! : (

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Dry, piney, hoppy aroma, crisp, subtle malts. Hazy yellow orange color with medium sized white head. Flavor is hoppy, somewhat thin, notes of honey and malt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Well as it says the hoppy flavor doesnt stick around long, but too bitter for me. Pours a light yellowish orangy color. Flavor has some grapefruit hints with a bit of btterness that is about too much for my likings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 16, 2005
12oz bottle. 42°-> 46°. NB Worthy glass. Poured really light orange, maybe some yellow hues. Small off white head (due to my overly careful pour). Nice lacing. Pleasant citrus/grapefruit and honey nose. Sour, almost wheatish malt start (is that the rye?) with a solid citrusy, honey background. The taste morphs into the citrusy hops and keeps the grainy flavor (nice) around. Finish is pretty well balanced, leaning more towards dry, with a residual citrus peel flavor. Feels "full" in the mouth, moreso than most APA’s. This is a tasty example of one of my favorite styles. Thanks Jay/Springlicker!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 11, 2005
12oz bottle contract brewed by Frederick B.C. spot for best before date is left blank. No head, slightly hazey copper color. Fairly big carmel and peach nose...some grain bag too. Not a lot in the flavor...some carmel hits as I swallow followed by a fruity citric bitterness...a gentle lingering bite. Malty beer. Not sure I get much rye in it. Decent pale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JAN 10, 2005
Beer pours dark golden with a fizzy off white head that mostly dissipates. Aroma is nicely citricly hoppy. Flavor is nice grapefruit hops. Not super strong by hop head standards, but as pale ales go this works pretty well. Nice session type ale. The rye works nicely, and I wish more brewers would use it. Both of the rye beers I have had have been very good. Enjoyable. Thanks Kawa!!!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mrmilo73 (3) - USA - JAN 9, 2005 does not count
Nice hops and citrusl, flower aroma . dry finish but not to bitter. A nice amber colorclear withourt particulate. made me wish i had another

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JAN 5, 2005
Frederick Contract Brew. Whenever I see Frederick on the label, I cringe. They spoiled my beloved Oatmeal Porter from Highland Brewing and probably are going to brew more of their beer and make them taste as unidimensional as the Oatmeal Porter from them. All right, off of my soapbox... Well, they did it to this beer as well. Cloudy gold in color with a thin, white head. Aroma is lightly piney, citrusy, and orangey hops with perfumey, sweet rye. Flavor is somewhat flat vs. what the aroma showed. Quite odd, a very short finish. This may be old. It tastes like the equivalent to lightly bittered citrus soda pop. If you cannot obtain a bottle of this to rate just bitter some Sprite and then do your rating. It would be the same.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IndianaRed (3220) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Bottle Pours a hazy pale orange amber witha small fine fizzy head. This settles out quickly and the aroma is a malty and hoppy combo. Quite a bit of citrus, grapefruit notes in the hop side. Flavors are grassy and of light grains. A strong bitter edge but not typical hop type. Must be the rye malts. Almost a tame IPA. Refreshing, slightly bitter and a bit dry. Not bad.