overall

RATINGS: 189   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Legend had is Captín Krunkles is the most feared pirate on the high seas. No one has seen him, his ship, or the great beer his band of pirates drinks has lived to tell about it. Until now. Made with a bombardment of hops to defeat your tastebuds in battle and all the black malt you can stand before walking the plank, this Black I.P.A. will make it worth going down with the ship.

drfabulous (4277) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 28, 2010
Bought only to try. When in Georgia....the style still doesnít do it it for me. Chocolate and hops. But I canít get my head around the Black IPA as a desired style. Decent for what it tries to do.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 2, 2010
Bomber from Tylerís Bottle Shop, Carrboro. With more and more company, itís harder to make an impression in this style, and some of the underwhelming variants just make me want a regular olí IPA. Terrapin comes close to the mark here but doesnít quite reach the level of Stone, which is the benchmark for me. Nice oily dark brown pour with plenty of carbonation and a moderate head. Nose of pumpernickel and slight citrus, resinous hops. Mouthfeel is a tad too thin for me. The taste is a bit earthy, with dark bready malts reminding me of good deli. But then the hops come on fairly strong and make things a bit clashing. In some ways this is fun, like pinball in your mouth. But in other ways, I felt disappointed that there wasnít better integration of the many flavors going on. Still enjoyable, as evidenced by the solid rating. But not somethign Iíd go out of my way to have again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheEpeeist (3415) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 2, 2010
22 oz bottle. Dark brown with a frothy beige haze. Nose is grapefruit, pine, chocolate and coffee; odd but not bad. Medium body with a tingle. Taste is all kinds of bitter with citrus peel, Bakers chocolate, espresso and lime. Dry, black licorice finish.

Papsoe (25079) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 23, 2011
Bottle 65 cl. Courtesy of Pinball. Pours pitch black with a light brown head. Fresh aroma hops in the nose combined with sweet roast vanilla - licorice allsorts. Medium body, again sweet roast and a dry and hoppy finish from both hops and roasted malts. But in general not a great Black IPA. 230511

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chaneybr (52) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 27, 2013
Reviewed 9-13-10. A couple of BA traders have asked me about this beer when I told them I could get Terrapin. I bought one for someone, and then picked one up for myself to see what all the Hooplah was about: Ap: Pours black as night, with a 1/2 inch head that left instantly, and carbonation to spare. Ar: Not really strong in the aroma department, but what Iím getting reminds me of Coca-Cola - slightly bitter, with a hop sizzle. T: Not at all vicious, actually very malty, and much smoother than I expected. P: Frothy lacing and very creamy in texture. Very soothing. O: Nothing really special about this one, but the beer itself is not too pretentious. Also, I REALLY love the bottle art!

snoworsummer (2631) - baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 21, 2014
From a bottle from lazy dog. Pours dark brown with copper undertones. Tastes like bitter roasted malt, bitter hops, burnt toast, and light citrus. Light body and low carbonation. Smells like sweet malt, toast, and light citrus hops.

Imaena (1915) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 19, 2014
Bottle. This is a nice dark black IPA with more roasting than most others i have tried. Well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hangover (1076) - Atlanta, Alabama, USA - APR 30, 2010
Dark brown pour with a lasting tan head. Aroma is hoppy, mostly citrus and light floral. Flavor is bitter with notes of chocolate and bread. Hops are evident throughout, again, mostly citrus, but not as pronounced as in the aroma. Very solid, dark, slightly roasted malt backbone make this a smooth sipper and very well balanced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AR (1000) - Georgia, USA - MAY 8, 2010
Black, Opaque beer. Starts off tasting like a fairly typical IPA, strong, but not overbearing. Fairly smooth for an IPA. As the beer warms, more of a malt chocolate flavor arises.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 16, 2010
Shout out to SincereNC for sending this my way. Dark black color with a very unassuming aroma. In fact it was bland and boring. The taste was also not nearly hoppy enough for me. I got the slightest hint of a single hop flower and the dark malts just didnít wow me at all. Boring. I think the best "black IPA" Iíve had is still Stoneís 11th Anniversary/Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 05-16-2010 21:42:06