overall

RATINGS: 1107   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
Wake-n-Bake is brewed with coffee roasted by Jittery Joe’s Coffee in Athens, GA. Terrapin and Jittery Joe’s built a unique coffee blend specific for this big Imperial Stout. You can purchase the actual Terrapin Wake-n-Bake coffee blend at Jittery Joe’s or online in 12oz. coffee cans.”

apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Absolutely black with a slight head on it. Chocolately, somewhat coffeeish, aroma. very roasty and malty. Pretty good flavor...strong coffee (which I love in an imperial stout), slightly sweet and nicely balanced bitterness with a creaminess. Not as full and rich as some IS, and a lower alcohol content. Anway, it tastes good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (5279) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Well, well, they CAN make good beer in the south - many thanks to TheBeerCellar2 and OhioDad, both of whom sent me bottles of this - opaque, viscous pour, with lasting tan lace - aroma is all coffee and cream - very silky mouthfeel - coffee dominates, but this one keeps a nice bitterness, and doesn’t get overtaken by a sweet, cream-like flavor like a lot of other coffee stouts - reminds me of a lighter version of Founders Breakfast Stout, which is, of course, a compliment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
billb (244) - Kennesaw, Georgia, USA - FEB 10, 2006
Quite a treat. Very thick and opaque. All kinds of different flavors (I think they refer to this as "complex"). Malty, sweet, bitter, alcohol coffee all with a roasty, nutty finish. This is a dessert style beer that I would recommend having one during the evening’s session.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 10, 2006
Dark brown, looks oily on the top. Aroma is lighter but some nice espresso and vienna coffee. Nice body with great coffee flavour, but a little oily, high abv is hardly noticeable. Very pleasant and smooth at the end. Nicely balanced, a very nice beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 8, 2006
Served at room temperature to my fuckingSELF and one good friend. It is moments like these, when I get to try a beer like this that make life have meaning. It makes life so much better, and reminds me to love the simple things. Thank you Georgia and whoever it was that sent this in the random 6 pack trade. My god this is exquisite. Poured black with a dark brown head, just glorious looking. Aroma looks like what the guy is cooking on the bottle. Chocolate chip cookies, coffee, and oatmeal. Lush malt body that is oh so creamy. Flavor is chocolate, cookie dough, coffee, and oatmeal. This is oh so smooth and flavorful. Truly a treat.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kevin (2149) - New Mexico, USA - FEB 8, 2006
Oh dear holy religious figures in religious places people go to after they die, this is beautiful. Black, dull black, but black with a nice clingy brown khaki head. I hear black flag when I take a sniff of this. “drinking black coffee, stare at the walls, black coffee, drinking black coffee” but there is more to this than just aural stimulation. Nice enjoyable caramel notes with some irish cream and warm toffee and the bl;ue, not the pink cotton candy, the bblue damnit. Flavor wise, the alcohol hits me first, which surprises me. this dries my tongue too quickly. I can taste light hints that the aroma promised, but the alcohol hides too much. I think caramel apple and cinnamon schnapps when I drink this. There is a minty chocolate note that lingers too. An odd grape flavor emerges late, like a merlot. Too dry for me. but still not bad. Ap-5 ar-10 tas-6 pal-3 ov-13

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 7, 2006
Thick black pour... minimal tan creamy head. Grassy concord grape skins, and some wild berries. The aroma has some stuff in there but its not jumping out at me. Thick, luscious mouthfeel with a hint of tingly carbonation. Some of my fruity grass shows up in the taste too... along with syrupy roasted sweet malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 7, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2006 Thanks Jason! 2005 vintage. The beer pours to a dark but semi-translucent brownish-black body with a thin creamy tan head. The aroma smells like a bowl of chocolate Quakers oatmeal and nice coffees. Very unique aroma. The flavor has noticeable oats and barley atop a light milk chocolate coffee. Delicate coffee flavors. The palate is smooth and tasty. Rich and coating. Medium-full bodied. 7, 4, 8, 4, 15 = 3.8

2006 vintage... Pitch black pour with a really dark brown head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, oatmeal. Nicely blended with clean grains. Rich and creamy lingering full palate. Much better than I remember.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2006
Lost my notes on this but really wanted to rate it. Had this on tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta and then again in 12 oz bottle. On tap the stuff came in a pint. Thick and dark with minimal head. Slick aroma which (as I recall) had milk chocolate and coffee presence. The body was thick, oily and rich and the flavor was very nice. Milk chocolate coffee, and other deep flavors that were somewhat mellowed by the oatmeal (I thought). I much preferred this on tap because when I tried it in a bottle it seemed to have lost a step. Not as thick and not as pronounced a flavor. Still worth you time if you can find it. I docked it some points for not being as good in a bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - FEB 5, 2006
Bottle courtesy of Robertsreality.Black with a rich frothy layer of dark tan head. Had a huge hit of coffee and roasted malts.This was like walking into the local coffee shop,the one that still roasts their own beans,and inhaling deeply.Yeah some oat tones but a real smash of Java. Nice and bitter on the finish and tongue.