overall

RATINGS: 1147   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
Wake-n-Bake is brewed with coffee roasted by Jittery Joe’s Coffee in Athens, GA. Terrapin and Jittery Joe’s built a unique coffee blend specific for this big Imperial Stout. You can purchase the actual Terrapin Wake-n-Bake coffee blend at Jittery Joe’s or online in 12oz. coffee cans.”

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CMUBEERMAN (426) - - APR 1, 2006
thanks to jimbowood...this one pours very dark (I was outside in the dark though) and has very little head. Throughout the beer the aroma was muted coffee and malt...a little more chocolate/sweet coffee show through at room temp. Flavor was a bunch of roasted malt and lots of coffee...like the the aroma...but there was some caramel as well. The coffee wasn’t over bearing though (i don’t like coffee too much). Mouthfeel wasn’t anything special...kind of light and oily. This was pretty good...but it wasn’t too imperial in my book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - APR 1, 2006
A grand name for a grand beer! Sampled on tap at Barley’s Taproom. A nearly black body supports the rich caramel-colored head (didn’t last long, though). The aroma boasted of robust roasted malts and a little mocha. Body was full, rich, and round without being too thick. The flavor had more of a mocha tune than coffee, with none of the alcohol burn I was expecting from an imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DragonStout (1410) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAR 31, 2006
Pop the cap an its an all out assault of coffee aroma.pours black as night with a small tan head.Hugh oily full mouthfeel.Lots of coffe here.The finish was sad because I didnt have anymore.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bigassfish (140) - Naperville/Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2006
bottle. very dark in appearance. flavor of coffee, chocolate and roasted malt. no flavor too dominating but it seems to be missing something.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Terminus (3545) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 27, 2006
bottle-thanks to aracauna for this one. chared black with a brown hue around the rim of the drinking vessel. very small fizzy beige topping. char, burnt wood, burnt tobbaco, roast, dark expresso. flavors are astringent and linger on the burnt coarsness of the malt profile. lots of bitter black patent malt . palate is soft with mild carbonation. a farily rudimentary imperial stout which needs alot of work.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - MAR 26, 2006
Thanks to the DS Crew for sharing this. Pours a very dark brown color, small light brown head. Aroma is lots of coffee, musty chocolate, some roast notes as well. Flavor is sweet, and smooth. Smooth body. Somewhat dissapointing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Bottle. Pours black with brown edges and a minimal tan head. The aroma is strong coffee with some malt and detectable alcohol. The flavor is quite smooth thanks to the oats (which are very present), and a rich espresso flavor stands throughout. It gets maltier toward the finish. There is a bit of alcohol in the aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NachlamSie (3256) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2011 bottle. Black with some dark brown hues in the light. No head here. The aroma is a little weird, but not bad. It packs plenty of coffee, but the strangeness is in some kind of vinous-alcoholy aspect. This is pretty decent stuff, bursting full of roasted coffee. It’s like a breakfast of coffee and oatmeal. Great stuff!
[January 13, 2009]
I was never overly impressed with this beer. Sure, it is good, but I never made it a point to go nuts over this. Well, I was at the Thirsty Monk and since they were out of Rogue Imperial Stout during a cold spell, I went with my next imperial stout choice: Wake-n-Bake. My expectations mediocre, I held the snifter to my nose to be completely amazed. The sheer, genuine coffee character is moutherwatering. Oats, ash, and chocolate play second fiddle to the huge coffee. Thank the gods the flavor follows up perfectly. Wow, what did they do differently this year? This is the best Wake-n-Bake ever. I went back and bought a case at Greenlife. Now I have a case of beautiful, beautiful beer. I’m over at Joe’s drinking a bottle of this wonderful elixir, reminded of the amazing, deep, true, genuine coffee character. The finish is bittersweet, semi-sticky. Piercing, sharp coffee. . .yes. Given the price and availability, I picked up a case of this over Founder’s Breakfast Stout. This is seriously good.
[December 30, 2009]
Another winter has come and gone and here we have a new vintage of Wake-n-Bake. Given my experience with last year’s, I had to at least try it again so I picked up a 4 pack at Midtown and I’m glad I did. It may not be quite as solidly coffee-packed and well rounded as the last year’s, but it is close. I am still enjoying the genuine coffee character and bittersweet body on this beauty. One of the best coffee stouts available anywhere nearby and it makes me send hails to Georgia.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shadey (2076) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Pitch black color with a thin dark tan head of cream. Mild coffee aroma. The flavor is an odd but pleasent mix of coffee and milky smooth oatmeal. Interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Bottled version. Pours a motor oil black color but appears thin as it enters the glass. Tan head is almost non-existent and wouldn’t have been there at all if it weren’t for an aggressive pour. Not really picking up any coffee in the aroma. What I do smell is oddly wine-like with just a hint of roasted malt. Sweet tasting with hints of grape and just a little bit of coffee coming through in the finish. Mouthfeel is a little thin for an impy stout. Not a bad beer by any means but not exactly what I was hoping for. I paid $3 for this bottle and probably wouldn’t buy this again at that price.