The Bruery 4 Calling Birds

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 265   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
A Belgian style dark ale brewed with spices. The fourth verse of our Twelve Beers of Christmas saga incorporates gingerbread-like spice into a rich and robust dark ale.

nuplastikk (4697) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 6, 2013
750ml bottle courtesy CaseyK. Really big and rich Belgian Christmas Ale, I can dig it. Rich smoky sweetness, sugary and over the top. Gingerbread, chocolate, caramel, black licorice. A touch brutal, but that is acceptable for the ABV. An interesting over the top Belgian Christmas beer, sugary rich madness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
magsinva (881) - Virginia, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Bottle from Brusin Ales - catching up on reviews, I had this one a couple days ago, and I think I let it age too long, because all Ingot was the ginger, without anything else to temper it. Meh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jackl (4920) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - NOV 2, 2013
Bottle @ Croydonia. Any day I can force Bruce to try a Bruery beer is a good day in my book. Brown pour with a small head. The nose is farty belgian yeast. Dark red fruits, canned pear. The taste is prune stew. Mild tart red berry compote. Acidic red apple. Full body, not all that boozy. Overall, not terrible, just anonymous.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
vtafro (3792) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - SEP 8, 2013
Bottle pour. Black pour with tan head. Flavor is roasted, spices and light Belgian tones. Aroma is lighter but similar.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Experiment_Ale (1043) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 5, 2013
Bottle at my place with group. Aroma of fig, yes!, fig, raison, barley. Taste is fig, yes!, raison, then a little raunchy on the finish, damnit. Great start, disappointing on the end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
llcooldave (1116) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Pours black in the glass. Smells like fruit cake; nutty fruity and spicy aroma. Flavor is more fruit, nuts and spicy cocoa. Seriously, very fruit cake like (in a good way). Overall... wonderbrew. Thanks to BarZigKin for his boundless generosity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
alexsdad06 (5865) - Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2013
750 ml bottle shared by Tmoney99. Pours a dark mahogany brown color with a medium sized beige head. The aroma and flavor have caramel, roast, allspice, gingerbread, dark fruit and some booze. The alcohol is warming butalso ppresent in the flavor at times.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryecatcher (821) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 7, 2013
750mL bottle. So, I’ve been sitting on this one for a while and didn’t cellar it at the recommended 50 degrees (I live in a small apartment in Chicago with one refrigerator and it IS the basement, so there’s no where lower to put my bottles unless I buy a shovel) so this one may be a little past its prime, but I’ll give ’er a shot. Pours a murky, dark brown, nearly opaque, thin off-white head little retention that faded quickly, nose is molasses, dark roast, Belgiany yeast, vague hint of pie spice. Mouth is medium bodied, creamy, mild sweetness, malty roasty up front, then brown sugar, dried fruit, rumor of nutmeg, hint of licorice, some soot towards the back end, spice in the throat. Would’ve been good with a hunk of fruitcake or stollen buy a crackling fire, watching the snow blanket the South Side, but for whatever reason I chose to wait until August, nearly 21 months after I purchased this. Still decent though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MacBoost (1399) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - JUL 28, 2013
Ok, so this beer has got me confuse a bit. On the one hand, it’s pretty fucken roasty for an Belgian strong ale so the taste kind of teases me with imperial stout characteristics. But then theres the stupid spices which I fucking loathe. So, yeah. It pours and looks like a Baltic porter with no head. Smells like a fucken cookie and tastes similar to an imperial stout if you take into consideration the heavy booze. I really want to hate it, but its growing on me with every sip. A touch more roast and this would be great, but I guess thats not what they’re really going for here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Theydon_Bois (9912) - The ’Sham, Surrey, ENGLAND - JUL 27, 2013
Bottle at the Croydonia Tasting, thanks to Jack, 13/07/13. Lightly hazed dark mahogony brown with a thin tan hea that dissipates to the edge and leaves a little spotting. Nose is dark fruits, toffee, brown bread, boozey tones - a little harsh at that. Taste comprises bitter dark fruits, brown bread, sugars, malt loaf. Full bodied, fine carbonation, warming boozey finish. Drinkable but the alcohol is a little on the harsh side and could have been better integrated. I wouldn’t bother this feathered friend again.