overall

RATINGS: 545   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 567   ABV: 18.9%
Aged in bourbon barrels for over a year, this extremely rich stout has picked up flavors of vanilla, burnt caramel, toasted oak, prunes, and sherry-like oxidation.
2009 Batch: 19.5% ABV
2010 Batch: 18.2% ABV
2011 Batch: 18.3% ABV
2012 Batch: 19.2% ABV
2013 Batch: 18.9% ABV

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - MAY 29, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2011 Amazing beer. I enjoyed this at the 3rd anniversary party. The beer has a great balance for the the abv this beer carries. It is a great imperial stout with a great deal of complexity. What I enjoy about this beer is how it comes together and goes down smoothly without being too rich

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1005) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2011
Had a pour at this past weekend’s festival. Unbelievable. I usually think The Bruery is pretty overrated and too expensive, but this lived up to the hype. Thick as motor oil, sweet and smooth without showing too much of the high ABV. Would love to have this again, although I’m not sure I’d be able to drink one by myself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sarro (121) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 23, 2011
2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve! Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat. The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
roborb (66) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 22, 2011
2009 bottle split with 3 friends. A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation. S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well. T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating. M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes. O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

Pailhead (4637) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 21, 2011
Courtesy of punkrkr27

Bottle: The aroma consists of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and faint espresso. While I don’t actually smell alcohol, my nose does burn a little. It pours a dark brown with a small beige film for a head. The flavor starts with lots of sweet chocolate and a touch of vanilla. The finish has caramel, alcohol, and a touch of espresso. Full bodied with mild carbonation and a slick mouthfeel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hamilton23 (605) - Alpine, California, USA - MAY 19, 2011
2010 Vintage. Pours nearly black with dark brown head. Nose is tons of chocolate, vanilla, coconut and bourbon. Taste is SWEET, really sweet. It tastes like a bourbon-infused almond joy bar. Syrupy mouthfeel. I know that a lot of people bash the Bruery’s beers for being too sweet, but this is a fantastic beer. I enjoyed this like I would sipping a glass of dessert wine or port. Nice work Patrick

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Koelschtrinker (9998) - Köln (Cologne), GERMANY - MAY 5, 2011
Bereits der Antrunk zeigt eine starke Malzintensität, der Alkohol wird hier nicht verheimlicht. Schnell wird das Malz stark schokoladig, brennende Alkoholnoten bleiben nicht aus. Dabei ist das Bier ziemlich süß, was bei diesem Alkoholgehalt kaum ausbleibt. Die starke Süße stört, ebenso der brennende Alkohol. Somit ist das Bier trotz den gelungenen Aromen definitiv nicht ausgewogen sondern wirkt ziemlich schwer, dabei natürlich das absolute Gegenteil von süffig. Ein schweres Bier. /13/5/12/12/10

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Glouglouburp (5960) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 28, 2011
In short: A cloying bourbonny fruity syrupy boozy dark beer. Meh.
How: From the bottle at Extreme Beer Fest 2011, Night Of The Barrels. 2010 version
The look: Near black body topped by a small tan head
In long: I had a small sample of the original 2009 version that I didn’t rate and I vaguely remember it being pitch black (not the case with the 2010) and less fruity than this new 2010 version. Maybe I’m wrong but I think the 2010 version took a turn towards fortified wine compared to the 2009. Anyway, the 2010 version is the one I’m rating. The nose has plenty of alcohol fumes (no surprise here) with a relatively moderate bourbon presence, plenty of sweetened macerated fruits. I expected it to be overly bourbonny but it wasn’t the case. Taste is syrupy, dark malts, fruit liqueur, sweetened fruits (even maraschino cherries), cough syrup, tar, vanilla. Viscous and cloying as hell. Obviously pretty boozy. I think my brother nailed it when he said Cinzano, that’s exactly it, that’s like someone poured a glass of red Cinzano in an imperial stout. I really didn’t care for it and it tasted different from the more bourbonny tar syrup that I remember the original 2009 to be. Time can do this beer some good. It won’t get worse. I was waiting for the moment I would decide to rate it. Named after the infamous day of the 1929 stock market crash, a market crash that launched this wonderful period that we now know as “The golden era of the black-and-white photography of dusty poor people”.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2011
20 malts! Wow. I was annoyed with all the hype surrounding this beer but given the opportunity to try it, I was seriously blown away by it and I’m really glad I got the opportunity. Beer is black (shocking) and forms a thin brown head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. When I swirl the beer it coats the glass and leaves legs on the walls of the glass like a fine wine would do. This is a seriously big beer, I was expecting alcohol in the nose but no...it smells sweet and there’s some bourbon smell in there but no straight alcohol. I can pick up some roast as well. Really nicely balanced, seriously. Beer is sweet up front but has a good body to it, medium. I’m definitely not drinking rubbing alcohol but I’m also not chewing it. There is some bitterness in the back but again, the alcohol is completely masked. I’m knocking it down on drinkability because I honestly don’t think I could drink a lot of it, its builds on me in both sweetness and bitterness but its a great beer. Think Bourbon County on steriods. Serving type: bottle

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dogfish120love (926) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Pours dark brown with little to no lacing. The aroma consists of chocolate, oak and soy sauce. Overall a little too sweet.