overall

RATINGS: 590   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 567   ABV: 18.9%
Aged in bourbon barrels for over a year, this extremely rich stout has picked up flavors of vanilla, burnt caramel, toasted oak, prunes, and sherry-like oxidation.
2009 Batch: 19.5% ABV
2010 Batch: 18.2% ABV
2011 Batch: 18.3% ABV
2012 Batch: 19.2% ABV
2013 Batch: 18.9% ABV

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hamilton23 (612) - Alpine, California, USA - MAY 19, 2011
2010 Vintage. Pours nearly black with dark brown head. Nose is tons of chocolate, vanilla, coconut and bourbon. Taste is SWEET, really sweet. It tastes like a bourbon-infused almond joy bar. Syrupy mouthfeel. I know that a lot of people bash the Bruery’s beers for being too sweet, but this is a fantastic beer. I enjoyed this like I would sipping a glass of dessert wine or port. Nice work Patrick

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Koelschtrinker (11049) - Köln (Cologne), GERMANY - MAY 5, 2011
Bereits der Antrunk zeigt eine starke Malzintensität, der Alkohol wird hier nicht verheimlicht. Schnell wird das Malz stark schokoladig, brennende Alkoholnoten bleiben nicht aus. Dabei ist das Bier ziemlich süß, was bei diesem Alkoholgehalt kaum ausbleibt. Die starke Süße stört, ebenso der brennende Alkohol. Somit ist das Bier trotz den gelungenen Aromen definitiv nicht ausgewogen sondern wirkt ziemlich schwer, dabei natürlich das absolute Gegenteil von süffig. Ein schweres Bier. /13/5/12/12/10

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 28, 2011
In short: A cloying bourbonny fruity syrupy boozy dark beer. Meh.
How: From the bottle at Extreme Beer Fest 2011, Night Of The Barrels. 2010 version
The look: Near black body topped by a small tan head
In long: I had a small sample of the original 2009 version that I didn’t rate and I vaguely remember it being pitch black (not the case with the 2010) and less fruity than this new 2010 version. Maybe I’m wrong but I think the 2010 version took a turn towards fortified wine compared to the 2009. Anyway, the 2010 version is the one I’m rating. The nose has plenty of alcohol fumes (no surprise here) with a relatively moderate bourbon presence, plenty of sweetened macerated fruits. I expected it to be overly bourbonny but it wasn’t the case. Taste is syrupy, dark malts, fruit liqueur, sweetened fruits (even maraschino cherries), cough syrup, tar, vanilla. Viscous and cloying as hell. Obviously pretty boozy. I think my brother nailed it when he said Cinzano, that’s exactly it, that’s like someone poured a glass of red Cinzano in an imperial stout. I really didn’t care for it and it tasted different from the more bourbonny tar syrup that I remember the original 2009 to be. Time can do this beer some good. It won’t get worse. I was waiting for the moment I would decide to rate it. Named after the infamous day of the 1929 stock market crash, a market crash that launched this wonderful period that we now know as “The golden era of the black-and-white photography of dusty poor people”.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2011
20 malts! Wow. I was annoyed with all the hype surrounding this beer but given the opportunity to try it, I was seriously blown away by it and I’m really glad I got the opportunity. Beer is black (shocking) and forms a thin brown head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. When I swirl the beer it coats the glass and leaves legs on the walls of the glass like a fine wine would do. This is a seriously big beer, I was expecting alcohol in the nose but no...it smells sweet and there’s some bourbon smell in there but no straight alcohol. I can pick up some roast as well. Really nicely balanced, seriously. Beer is sweet up front but has a good body to it, medium. I’m definitely not drinking rubbing alcohol but I’m also not chewing it. There is some bitterness in the back but again, the alcohol is completely masked. I’m knocking it down on drinkability because I honestly don’t think I could drink a lot of it, its builds on me in both sweetness and bitterness but its a great beer. Think Bourbon County on steriods. Serving type: bottle

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dogfish120love (1001) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 28, 2011
Pours dark brown with little to no lacing. The aroma consists of chocolate, oak and soy sauce. Overall a little too sweet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fred82 (2115) - Québec City, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 26, 2011
Sample at EBF 2011.
Appearance : Hazy brown with a small head.
Aroma : Nice bourbon with light chocolate and roasted malt. Bourbon is what stands out the most. Very sweet.
Taste : Very powerful and very warm. Nice bourbon and roasted malt. Very complex but quite boozy. Finish is very warm too with nice bourbon and dark chocolate. Very sweet.
Overall : I’m glad I finally got to try this one. It is very complex and very rich. The finish is very nice and complex. However it’sway too boozy. I’m glad I only got a 2oz sample. I suppose the sample we had came from a fresh bottle and I suspect this gets much better with some age. Still, it was a nice complex and rich beer but nothing ground breaking.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jrallen34 (3483) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2011
The beer is very black, only showing the tiniest bit of brown in the light. The head is dark tan, rises about one finger. It looks full and creamy but it is sadly gone in about a minute only leaving a ring of head around the glass. The lacing is poor as is the carbonation. The aroma is very malty, sweet and enticing. It smells wonderful and begs you to come back again and again. Vanilla dominates the nose, with notes of candy, and raspberries. This sweetness is balanced out by a touch of oak, bourbon and alcohol at the end. The tase is very matly as well, extremely sweet to start. There is a ton of vanilla and light chocolate on the front, in the middle you get oak and it finishes with a medium alcohol, specifically bourbon taste. The feel is little lighter than I’d hope for, not watery but not great. The finish is nice as tickles your throat and warms it up on the way down, totally from alcohol. The drinkablility is nice, you taste the tiniest bit of alcohol but that’s to be expected with a 19.5% abv. Overall, this beer is very good and definitely lives up to all the hype. The 2009 is drinking great right now, aging does wonders.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - MAR 24, 2011
Sampled at the Beer Freek night at The Yard in Santa Monica. Pours a dark brown. Big Bourbony aroma that you can smell from far away. Almost instant warming sensation. Very smooth. Hints of vanilla in their and as it warms up I get some fruit esters as well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DJMonarch (9160) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 19, 2011
From the Jug at the GABF, Colorado Convention Center Denver 16/09/2010 Oaked aroma. Black very rich on the palate and strong in alcohol with a sweet maple vanilla and whisky flavours. A hint of bitterness in a warming roast finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MadIndian (2434) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2011
Deep cocoa pour with a chocolate aroma. Flavors of nut vanilla, chocolate, toffee and bourbon. A very nice blend. I was pleased with this one.