overall

RATINGS: 598   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 567   ABV: 18.9%
Aged in bourbon barrels for over a year, this extremely rich stout has picked up flavors of vanilla, burnt caramel, toasted oak, prunes, and sherry-like oxidation.
2009 Batch: 19.5% ABV
2010 Batch: 18.2% ABV
2011 Batch: 18.3% ABV
2012 Batch: 19.2% ABV
2013 Batch: 18.9% ABV

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2011
2009 edition Super inky black color (as expected). Thick & with viscous lacing left around the glass. Thin layer of tan head. Aroma is almost pure bourbon - it comes through so strongly that you really can’t pick up much of anything else (possibly some hints of vanilla). Flavor is a bit better with the maltiness fighting its way through the bourbon a bit more than in the nose. The sweetness makes itself known as well. Not bad by any means - I just prefer a bit more complexity. Mouthfeel is great - the thick feel of this one really works well for this beer. The finish is (not surprisingly) very strong and boozy - can’t imagine I’d be able to put way too much of this stuff - its a big bold bourbon bomb of a beer so if you like that sort of thing you will LOVE this. Recommended, but maybe a bit underwhelming - just not as complex as I’d hoped for - maybe with more time the bourbon would chill out a bit and mingle in with the other flavors but for me that overly bourbony aspect detracted from my overall enjoyment of the beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JUN 12, 2011
Bottle shared by Ryan, thanks a ton for sharing this monster of a beer. Super thick pour, black as night and thick as....well thick. Aroma was intense with hints of bourbon, vanilla, caramel and alcohol. Flavor was pretty heavy on the sweet malt chocolate side but the ABV was hidden quite well. A real treat to say the least. One 8oz glass would be just enough.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hbmason (1086) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - MAY 29, 2011
750 ml bottle. Great stout for the alcohol content. Pitch black in your face stout. The real deal. I hope I can try this with some age on it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - MAY 29, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2011 Amazing beer. I enjoyed this at the 3rd anniversary party. The beer has a great balance for the the abv this beer carries. It is a great imperial stout with a great deal of complexity. What I enjoy about this beer is how it comes together and goes down smoothly without being too rich

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1166) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2011
Had a pour at this past weekend’s festival. Unbelievable. I usually think The Bruery is pretty overrated and too expensive, but this lived up to the hype. Thick as motor oil, sweet and smooth without showing too much of the high ABV. Would love to have this again, although I’m not sure I’d be able to drink one by myself.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
sarro (125) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 23, 2011
2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve! Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat. The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
roborb (66) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 22, 2011
2009 bottle split with 3 friends. A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation. S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well. T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating. M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes. O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

Pailhead (5348) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - MAY 21, 2011
Courtesy of punkrkr27

Bottle: The aroma consists of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and faint espresso. While I don’t actually smell alcohol, my nose does burn a little. It pours a dark brown with a small beige film for a head. The flavor starts with lots of sweet chocolate and a touch of vanilla. The finish has caramel, alcohol, and a touch of espresso. Full bodied with mild carbonation and a slick mouthfeel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
hamilton23 (617) - Alpine, California, USA - MAY 19, 2011
2010 Vintage. Pours nearly black with dark brown head. Nose is tons of chocolate, vanilla, coconut and bourbon. Taste is SWEET, really sweet. It tastes like a bourbon-infused almond joy bar. Syrupy mouthfeel. I know that a lot of people bash the Bruery’s beers for being too sweet, but this is a fantastic beer. I enjoyed this like I would sipping a glass of dessert wine or port. Nice work Patrick

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Koelschtrinker (11753) - Köln (Cologne), GERMANY - MAY 5, 2011
Bereits der Antrunk zeigt eine starke Malzintensität, der Alkohol wird hier nicht verheimlicht. Schnell wird das Malz stark schokoladig, brennende Alkoholnoten bleiben nicht aus. Dabei ist das Bier ziemlich süß, was bei diesem Alkoholgehalt kaum ausbleibt. Die starke Süße stört, ebenso der brennende Alkohol. Somit ist das Bier trotz den gelungenen Aromen definitiv nicht ausgewogen sondern wirkt ziemlich schwer, dabei natürlich das absolute Gegenteil von süffig. Ein schweres Bier. /13/5/12/12/10