overall

RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 585   ABV: 19.5%
Chocolate Rain (Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla Beans)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beardaxe (183) - - OCT 20, 2013
Sampled twice at GABF. This was unbelievable. Flavor initially knocks you over with some of the strongest chocolate flavors you'll get in a beer. Impressively, however, the chocolate didn't taste artificial like most chocolate bombs (I'm looking at you Rogue). Instead the sweetness of the chocolate, which verges on cloying, is held in check with a satisfying cocoa bitterness. The barrel aging is subtle, so much so that I didn't notice it until my second sample. Once I did, though, I greatly appreciated it. It adds a layer of background complexity that plays well with the dominant tones of the chocolate. A beautiful beer. Also I had no idea it was 19%. I drank it like it was 11 at most. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
XmnwildX12 (2078) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2013
On tap at GABF 2013, big bourbon chocolate aroma, taste is bourbon, chocolate, booze, vanilla. Not as hot as I thought it would be, great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
theothermatt (188) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2013
Tasted at GABF and the highlight of the night. Very rich aroma. Sweet. Vanilla and Oak. Very smooth and not nearly enough alcohol to show it’s nearly 20%. A damn near perfect sipper and something that I wish I could have and enjoy a bit more of.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ajnepple (2293) - Conifer, Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2013
Sampled at GABF 2013. One my favorites from both sessions I attended. Unbelievable aroma and flavor. Lots of chocolate and vanilla sweetness hide the ABV. I must get more of this! One ounce was not nearly enough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Dr_MedievAle (186) - Alabama, USA - OCT 13, 2013
Aroma: bourbon, loads of cocoa, roasty malts. App: dark brown body, khaki head. Taste: initial bourbon and light cocoa balance, then pow, chocolate bomb like you wouldnt believe. Sticky fudge, smooth vanilla, and a mouthfeel like the highest calibre chocolate ganache youve ever had. The only reason this isnt getting a five from me is because the aroma is--wait for it--like most other awesome barrel aged stouts. Now that I think about, that misleading aspect, making me think it was going to be like the other kids on the block, actually enhanced the mindblowing experience of its juicy chocolate load. It is like the bruery made sweet tantric love to fine chocolate, getting it to hold back its full release for a few seconds until it unloads its chocolate rain. I think I know why they call it that now. Could also easily call it Chocolate Reign.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Smurf2055 (1399) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2013
Pours black, minimal tan head. Smell boozy burnt sugar, raisins, lots of barleywine notes. Taste sweet vanilla, heat, huge heat, sweet as fuck, brownie and rum. Pretty full body. Very good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
madvike (2759) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 7, 2013
Bottle shared by CaseyK...thanks Casey! - Okay Brandon, yes I poured out my sample, and yes I gave it a shitty rating, but damn...this thing is liquid ’beetus. But yeah, I didn’t hate it. It lived up to my expectations, so I guess it is what it is. It’s dark black with a thin tan ring of head. Boozy and sharp on the nose, with dark sweet malt, overbearing sugar, vanilla and chocolate notes. The 19.5% is all present and accounted for. Taste is boozy, sharp, biting, angular. Real chocolatey, with vanilla, whiskey. Sweet and sharp--there’s nothing smooth about this beer. Sticky sweet. Thick, slick, and not carbonated. I never want this beer again. Okay, maybe I do hate it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RobertDale (3564) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - OCT 7, 2013
750 ml. bottle. Thanks Kyle! Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of chocolate, caramel, bourbon, and vanilla. Taste is chocolate, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Very warming. Need at least four people to share the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Godofthecellar (677) - NYC, New York, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Batch 1 thanks dan Smell of bourbon and vanilla, dark brown pour with a whisp of head. Flavor was predominantly vanilla, barrel character. Mouthfeel was warm..., burp flames with this mofo

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jtclockwork (8608) - , New Jersey, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Bottle share. Pours black with thin off white head ring. Nose and taste of vanilla, chocolate liqueur, molten chocolate cake, chocolate syrup and charred oak. Full body. Slight bourbon chocolate burn.