overall

RATINGS: 303   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 585   ABV: 19.5%
Chocolate Rain (Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla Beans)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
madvike (2726) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 7, 2013
Bottle shared by CaseyK...thanks Casey! - Okay Brandon, yes I poured out my sample, and yes I gave it a shitty rating, but damn...this thing is liquid ’beetus. But yeah, I didn’t hate it. It lived up to my expectations, so I guess it is what it is. It’s dark black with a thin tan ring of head. Boozy and sharp on the nose, with dark sweet malt, overbearing sugar, vanilla and chocolate notes. The 19.5% is all present and accounted for. Taste is boozy, sharp, biting, angular. Real chocolatey, with vanilla, whiskey. Sweet and sharp--there’s nothing smooth about this beer. Sticky sweet. Thick, slick, and not carbonated. I never want this beer again. Okay, maybe I do hate it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RobertDale (3450) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - OCT 7, 2013
750 ml. bottle. Thanks Kyle! Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of chocolate, caramel, bourbon, and vanilla. Taste is chocolate, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Very warming. Need at least four people to share the bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Godofthecellar (668) - NYC, New York, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Batch 1 thanks dan Smell of bourbon and vanilla, dark brown pour with a whisp of head. Flavor was predominantly vanilla, barrel character. Mouthfeel was warm..., burp flames with this mofo

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jtclockwork (8389) - , New Jersey, USA - OCT 2, 2013
Bottle share. Pours black with thin off white head ring. Nose and taste of vanilla, chocolate liqueur, molten chocolate cake, chocolate syrup and charred oak. Full body. Slight bourbon chocolate burn.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
fletchfighters (1077) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 29, 2013
Dark mahogany color, little to no head at all. Massive nose. Chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon. Really transforms into a liquor. Reminded me of frangelico crossed with a lot of chocolate. Huge and oppressive. Taste is oppressive sweetness. Sweet chocolate, sweet vanilla, just plain sweet and boozy. Feel is slick, sweet and oily. Massive sweetness. Hard to finish. Interesting beer but just 2 oz is more than enough. Props if you can drink a whole bottle of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cbfobes (2293) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - SEP 28, 2013
Bottle shared by Casey at our local tasting, thanks man! First of all, we opened this right before Bois and Brandy Bois so I’m pretty sure I have the beetus now, pours a pitch black with a tan head, the aroma is of straight chocolate and sweetness, the flavor is over powering with the chocolate on the front and the booze coming through in the finish, the abv isn’t completely hidden, and that’s to be expected with how massive it is. My favorite part of this beer was watching Matt taste it and end up dumping his own 2oz sample out and arguing with Casey about how "he didn’t hate it" We will see, we will see.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Maarten1993 (291) - - SEP 28, 2013
The beer was poured from a bottle into the glass. It looks really dark and nice. It also smells good: very complex. However, I did not like the taste. Not balanced, too sweet and it also did not taste like ’beer’ at all. The beer is also very heavy, a very dominant alcohol and sweet chocolate taste. Overall, the first impression of the beer was good but the taste is disappointing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
77ships (3762) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - SEP 25, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2013 75 cl. bottle @ home. 2013 Vintage. Another gusher, wth is it with this bottles, serious?! Also the wax looks beautiful but is a whole mess to get rid off. Obtained in a trade with stupac2. I usually always keep bottles like this for shares, trading, whatever,… This time, I looked at the bottle & thought, f@#k this, I just want to drink it, like any other beer, no reason, occasion or anything. I actually want to try a whole bottle instead of my regular ticking. If this is against the sharing part of RB or whatever ehh… I have coming much worse crimes in my life, seriously I mean it. I am just drinking this with there being no reason whatsoever being my only reason. I did wind up sharing a little bit of this. Anyway drank almost room temperature. Pours black but not really very darkest black, quite some wine hue coming through here, no head whatsoever past the pour. I get almost no legs on this. Smell becomes immediate once you open the bottle. Booze thick vanilla oak, big bourbon, vanilla sticks, molasses, huge brown sugar, black chocolate, faint roast, very sweet, even more molasses. Taste is a huge mouthfeel of molasses, very thick, sweet brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla sticks, incredibly thick, warming, bourbon, syrupy, slight bitter roast, dark chocolate, it is pretty hard to express how thick & syrupy this is, huge oak, I get some cocoa powder. It is slightly more complex than Black Tuesday but still not that complex. It is definitely way better than, that beer was. You don’t get the vodka alcohol like finish but you can feel the strength of this. I feel like I am doing a bottle of strong liquor. Very thick syrupy, it has this molasses, syrupy, quality to it, I can feel it sticky to my mouth, it is unbelievable sticky, virtually nothing in the way of carb. It is better room temp than colder. It is a fun beer to do, it is certainly pretty good. Still it is far too simple & considering the rarity, cost of obtaining this etc. Yeah there is better stuff to get that requires a similar effort. One is certainly better of getting a Thornbrige RIS at a fraction of the cost. I must say that whilst I thought that a 75 cl. of this would be very hard to do, it turned out to be pretty easy. Bit of a downer on that end. The Black Tuesday was great for blending with lambic so I had to check out with this one as well. I have nothing truly special so I opened a 2011 St. Lamvinus, not my favourite Cantillon. The bottle turned out way better than I expected, very vinous, huge red grape character. Chocolate Rain still dominated the smell, the St. Lamvinus totally dominated the taste, so this was way less for successful for blending than Black Tuesday. Still pretty happy that my bottle turned out better than expected (the Cantillon). Seriously I got a big old red grape, red tannins, Big red grape profile, only then I got the Chocolate Rain, not a successful blend, this worked better with Black Tuesday. It was overall very fun.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
deyholla (6633) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - SEP 23, 2013
Bottle shared by Kyle at my wedding, thanks! Pours an oily black with a thin dark brown head that dissipates quickly to the edges. Aroma has strong sweet dark grains, raisins, sweet chocolate and vanilla with a hint of roast. Flavor is cloying with sweet dark grains and sweet chocolate with underlying raisins and vanilla. A bit overwhelming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Experiment_Ale (1004) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 21, 2013
Freetail mega release. Aroma is big raison, chocolate fig fudge. Taste is creamy cherry chocolate fig berry barrel vanilla. Finish is super long. Mouthfeel is super heavy but silky smooth.