overall

RATINGS: 288   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 585   ABV: 19.5%
Chocolate Rain (Black Tuesday with Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla Beans)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cbfobes (2269) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 28, 2013
Bottle shared by Casey at our local tasting, thanks man! First of all, we opened this right before Bois and Brandy Bois so Iím pretty sure I have the beetus now, pours a pitch black with a tan head, the aroma is of straight chocolate and sweetness, the flavor is over powering with the chocolate on the front and the booze coming through in the finish, the abv isnít completely hidden, and thatís to be expected with how massive it is. My favorite part of this beer was watching Matt taste it and end up dumping his own 2oz sample out and arguing with Casey about how "he didnít hate it" We will see, we will see.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Maarten1993 (267) - - SEP 28, 2013
The beer was poured from a bottle into the glass. It looks really dark and nice. It also smells good: very complex. However, I did not like the taste. Not balanced, too sweet and it also did not taste like íbeerí at all. The beer is also very heavy, a very dominant alcohol and sweet chocolate taste. Overall, the first impression of the beer was good but the taste is disappointing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
77ships (3540) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - SEP 25, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2013 75 cl. bottle @ home. 2013 Vintage. Another gusher, wth is it with this bottles, serious?! Also the wax looks beautiful but is a whole mess to get rid off. Obtained in a trade with stupac2. I usually always keep bottles like this for shares, trading, whatever,Ö This time, I looked at the bottle & thought, f@#k this, I just want to drink it, like any other beer, no reason, occasion or anything. I actually want to try a whole bottle instead of my regular ticking. If this is against the sharing part of RB or whatever ehhÖ I have coming much worse crimes in my life, seriously I mean it. I am just drinking this with there being no reason whatsoever being my only reason. I did wind up sharing a little bit of this. Anyway drank almost room temperature. Pours black but not really very darkest black, quite some wine hue coming through here, no head whatsoever past the pour. I get almost no legs on this. Smell becomes immediate once you open the bottle. Booze thick vanilla oak, big bourbon, vanilla sticks, molasses, huge brown sugar, black chocolate, faint roast, very sweet, even more molasses. Taste is a huge mouthfeel of molasses, very thick, sweet brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla sticks, incredibly thick, warming, bourbon, syrupy, slight bitter roast, dark chocolate, it is pretty hard to express how thick & syrupy this is, huge oak, I get some cocoa powder. It is slightly more complex than Black Tuesday but still not that complex. It is definitely way better than, that beer was. You donít get the vodka alcohol like finish but you can feel the strength of this. I feel like I am doing a bottle of strong liquor. Very thick syrupy, it has this molasses, syrupy, quality to it, I can feel it sticky to my mouth, it is unbelievable sticky, virtually nothing in the way of carb. It is better room temp than colder. It is a fun beer to do, it is certainly pretty good. Still it is far too simple & considering the rarity, cost of obtaining this etc. Yeah there is better stuff to get that requires a similar effort. One is certainly better of getting a Thornbrige RIS at a fraction of the cost. I must say that whilst I thought that a 75 cl. of this would be very hard to do, it turned out to be pretty easy. Bit of a downer on that end. The Black Tuesday was great for blending with lambic so I had to check out with this one as well. I have nothing truly special so I opened a 2011 St. Lamvinus, not my favourite Cantillon. The bottle turned out way better than I expected, very vinous, huge red grape character. Chocolate Rain still dominated the smell, the St. Lamvinus totally dominated the taste, so this was way less for successful for blending than Black Tuesday. Still pretty happy that my bottle turned out better than expected (the Cantillon). Seriously I got a big old red grape, red tannins, Big red grape profile, only then I got the Chocolate Rain, not a successful blend, this worked better with Black Tuesday. It was overall very fun.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
deyholla (6486) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - SEP 23, 2013
Bottle shared by Kyle at my wedding, thanks! Pours an oily black with a thin dark brown head that dissipates quickly to the edges. Aroma has strong sweet dark grains, raisins, sweet chocolate and vanilla with a hint of roast. Flavor is cloying with sweet dark grains and sweet chocolate with underlying raisins and vanilla. A bit overwhelming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Experiment_Ale (882) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 21, 2013
Freetail mega release. Aroma is big raison, chocolate fig fudge. Taste is creamy cherry chocolate fig berry barrel vanilla. Finish is super long. Mouthfeel is super heavy but silky smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
umich03jm (1769) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - SEP 20, 2013
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2014 2013 bottle from Summer Secret Santa. Thanks! Pours very dark brown with very little head. Big sweet cocoa and caramel aroma with vanilla, bourbon, and raisins. Taste is very sweet up front but not cloying. The booziness seems to mellow it. Caramel and cocoa stand out big time making the bourbon a nice complement and not the focus. This seems so much better when its closer to room temp too. Dark fruit and tobacco flavors come out. Medium body but the mouthfeel makes it seem so much fuller by being very sticky and chewy. This is pretty awesome stuff. Still not sure if itís worth the price it sells for but Iím really glad I got to try this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wisdomsolo (390) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2013
This was "totes amazeballs"! Had this at a tasting and it was the winner in my opinion. Great flavor, smooth, little kick at the end but super brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fluffy (1466) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - SEP 1, 2013
its not often that one of those talked about beers lives up to the hype. in this case, it perfectly fits. huge chocolate, vanilla sugar and some sweet fruit flavors and aroma come through. alcohol amazingly doesnt burn either. seriously, its pretty incredible.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ataraxia (341) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 30, 2013
Opaque deep brown, almost black, and no head whatsoever. Searing aroma of bourbon and charred oak dominate, followed by sweet chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and roasted malts. A little less overpowering in the taste, but still quite sweet. Very lively carbonation, though slick, viscous, and heavy. Full-bodied with a strong boozy, bittersweet finish. Both Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain were overcarbed; they start gushing immediately after opening.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ICEatALAMO (909) - Troy, Michigan, USA - AUG 25, 2013
'13 vintage bottle. The pour is dark. The aroma is sweet and chocolate at the same time. The taste is flat out amazing. The chocolate is soooo good. One of the best beers around. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone