overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 587   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 2   EST. CALORIES: 93   ABV: 3.1%
Brewed in memory of my Grandparents (Fred and Sarah Hottenroth), this tart German-style Berliner Weisse is as authentic as it gets. We used lactobacillus and a hint of brettanomyces to sour this very unusual, low gravity wheat beer. To cut the tartness for those with sweeter tastes, raspberry or woodruff syrup is a traditional way to sweeten the beer. Almost an extinct style, we hope to help revive the Berliner Weisse in memory of two great people (ABV 3.1%, IBU 2, SRM 2, Format 30L kegs).

sourpatch (2) - - JAN 3, 2014 does not count
If I could get more of this in Maryland, I would give up water and replace it with this. Perfectly done and the best Berliner Weisse Iíve ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dalepryor (305) - Paducah, Kentucky, USA - FEB 21, 2010
This is my favorite style, the pour is extremely pale yellow almost white. The aromas are funky sour, lemon and lactic. If sour beer is your thing this is it, extremely tart like lemon juice. Carbonated sour lemonade is the best way to describe. Great stuff, so glad i found this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DoublEE (784) - South Euclid, Ohio, USA - JUL 24, 2013
The beer has a super light yellow color.. Great clarity. Little to no head. The aroma is sour and of cereal. The flavor has such a nice sour kick to it. The carbonation seems high but itís nice in this beer...it helps accent the sourness. At ~3% ABV in addition to being great tasting, this beers drinkability is off the charts. It has such an unreal clean lactic flavor. No acetobacter/vinegar flavors. Pure clean sourness. There is no doubt in my mind that this is easily my favorite session beer of all time, and one if my absolute favorites of all time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
paultheguru (650) - Parker, Colorado, USA - SEP 19, 2011
nice yeasty, tart berliner weiss. pale yellow in color, bright white head. outstanding tartness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shadowaeb (17) - , Massachusetts, USA - APR 8, 2009
Love this style, so pardon the bias. On tap at Blind Lady, mixed with a little Framboise on second glass. Flavor gets two words: Wicked Tahbht (Tart for you non-bostonians). Lacto and brett clear and loud, a bit of sour apple and some wheatyness. Framboise not my fave to mix, but gave it a nice sweetness that made it more palatable to my less adventurous friends. Had a transparent blonde color with great carbonation. Light and sparkly, perfect for a hot day in San Diego.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EithCubes (4704) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 22, 2009
750, only capped, from the first batch to hit Indianaís shelves. Nose is lightly tart but very wild, sort of dusty barnyard, pastry notes, and mild but creamy yeast starter. Hazy, very pale yellow body with a creamy and dense (miniscule bubbles!), heavily lacing, sparkling, brilliantly white head. Taste is much tarter than expected but superbly balanced, a little lemon cleaner in with the lambic-y sourness, but the smooth aftertaste is the real story, waves and waves of lightly-baked bread with stronger sourdough and pretzel overtones. Extremely long-lasting milky/ lacto tone. Well-attentuated, dry goodness, slimy but full and smooth, creamy body. Avoids all of the harsh metallic notes that Kindl offers but still lacks some of the wild spontaneity of Schtltheiss. So, on the whole, YES! We finally have a great (great) Berliner in the States.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SudsMcDuff (5789) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JAN 12, 2010
Pours a pineapple yellow, slight haze .. . medium head, sturdy lacing .. . jesus, light tart notes from citrus to funky space banana to refreshing uplifting fruit notes; truly complex and fun! .. . I wish I had access to this because i would drink it aaaaaaallllllll the time! .. a true delight to drink, thanks wolfy!

Here are your messages: "You have 30 minutes to move your car," "You have 10 minutes," "Your car has been impounded," "Your car has been crushed into a cube," "You have 30 minutes to move your cube."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Damico (2452) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2014
This one is at least 4 years old, been in my basement with the original cap! The aroma is sweet light candi sugar and light tart. The body is pretty clean with a balanced lightly sweet wheat note immediately followed by a pleasant clean balanced tartness. So simple yet so delicious in the tradition of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 28, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2009 Ok presentation, whitish yellow and just a white ring on top. Pretty grainy nose but in a nice berliner weisse way...lots of cereal and wheat..I actually dig it. Holy shit, the bruery may have temporarily redeamed itself with this...this actually tastes like a true berliner...tart and grainy, with the emphasis on the tart. Very nice and amazingly to style...if I was a mormon or something but with the same super abnormal sophisticated palate that everyone knows I possess, I may drink ths daily. I still hate the bruery, but about 1 10th as much as before.

Re-Rate: After 10 bottles or so, I must increase the flavor and overall impression scores....this has become my go-to beer. A bit on the expensive side for an every day drinker because its only 3.1%, but its just soooo damn good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrChopin (3220) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 10, 2009
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2010 hand-bottle thanks to hopdog!
Hazy lemony-gold with a small head, gone pretty fast. Nose has lots of grain along with crisp lemon and hint of lactic. It approaches gueuze level sourness and funk with warmth, but the wheat always gives it a unique identity. Flavor is quite sour, but thereís a great balance here, the wheat and lactic present in tandem to create a great flavor. Thin mouth but enough carbonation to keep going. Itís a little grainy for me, but still a very nice example that shows off a lot of the qualities I enjoy in a BeWe. Well done. Thanks Steve!

An official 750, drank in about 10 minutes. As session-able a beer as Iíve had. Never mind complexity and all that... the rating on this goes up because I will drink this every chance I get. I know it will be great, and I know I will be able to drink whatever else I want to right after this. Canít say that about 750ml of most Top 50 beers.