overall

RATINGS: 191   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
75% American Red Ale, 25% Ale Aged in American Oak Barrels. A brash American Red ale, dripping with citrusy Centennial hops, mellowed by a touch of oak. Aromas of toffee, citrus, crushed herbs, vanilla and fresh-sawn oak. Complex!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bb (6697) - Alamo, California, USA - AUG 9, 2011
Draft. Copper beer with a light cream head. light grapefruit aroma with caramel. Grapefruit and malt flavor with caramel and backing sweetness. Medium bodied. Grapefruit and caramel lingers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
j12601 (6585) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - MAY 29, 2012
Bottle from a trade that I drank with Max and Andy prior to our Montreal and VT trip. Pours a lightly hazed amber red with a medium to large white beige head. Some slight age on it, but that’s my fault. Malt, toast. I don’t really get the oak or much else. Medium bodied, toast, malt. Easy drinking but really not a lot going on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Meilby (6455) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - AUG 11, 2013
Draught @ The Bruery, Placentia, CA
Pours clear orange/amber with a off-white head. Aroma has notes of malt, caramel, grass, pine and forrest. Taste is medium sweet and medium bitter with a long bitter and grassy finish. Body is medium, texture is thin to oily, carbonation is soft.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sebletitje (6341) - Enghien, BELGIUM - JAN 17, 2011
Bottle @ Seabass going away party, Jan15th ’11. Courtesy of Hopscotch. Couleur cuivre, épaisse beige. Houblonnée et citron, note de pamplemousse, fine note de vanille et de bois. Légèrement fruitée. Le goût de tonneau est un peu en retrait et laisse aussi une bonne place pour le malt et caramel pour se faire noter parmi cette bière qui penche un peu plus sur le houblon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Plovmand (6178) - Helsinge, DENMARK - MAY 21, 2012
Bottle at Sour & Bitter. Pours amber with a medium off white head. The aroma is fruit, spices, caramel and malt. The flavour is wood, hops, caramel and some fruit. Creamy texture.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
5000 (6031) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JAN 8, 2011
Bottle:   Deep dark caramel, moderate to thin frothy off-white head, spotty lacing.   Sweet caramel and candied citrus malt aroma.   This smells or so damn good!   As I continue to smell this, I get fresh ripe orange as well.   I get oak and unbelieveably a sweet fresh citrus aspect.   I swear the orange aspect is just right up in my face.   I dont think I have had any beer that has been as citrusy fresh as this one.   Background of this one is oak, but up front it is just like a fresh orange.   Wow, odd considering I eat one orange a day.   I am amazed.   Its like a fresh orange with a bit of oak in the background.   Hops are minor.   Not really bitter at all.   Body and mouthfeel are moderate.   I am surprised as to how realistically citrusy this beer is.   Body and mouthfeel are moderate.   Finish is full of citrus and oak.   I am surprised to see a beer that has that much orange/citrus like flavor.   Very smooth, citrusy, with a soft background of oak.   This is quite the beer!   Never have I had a beer this citrusy.   Great stuff!   Thanks to OCBeerSociety for this amazing treat!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
marcus (6022) - Sacramento, California, USA - JAN 31, 2011
Bottle shared by bhensonb. Pours reddish brown with a huge beige head and a hoppy citrus aroma. There is a fruity red ale flavor with a grapefruit finish. A unique brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
blutt59 (5999) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 20, 2011
bottle, thanks to mora2000, amber colored pour with good foam head, aroma is piney malts, flavors of clover, cocoa powder with a bready finish

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drowland (5961) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - JAN 29, 2011
1/15/11. Bottle at the Sea Bass tasting thanks to hopscotch! Huge fresh hop aroma with a sweeter somewhat disappointing flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Glouglouburp (5929) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 18, 2011
In short: An sharp IPA-ish beer like no other
How: Bottle 750ml. Consumed fresh 2 months after bottling. Bottle sent to me by kegbear, thanks a lot Craig.
The look: Partly dark golden body topped by a rocky medium beige head with good retention
In long: Strong hoppy nose blending fresh oranges, other citrus fruits and freshly cut wood. Taste has plenty of citrus fruits (oranges and grapefruits mainly) swimming on a rich but not too sweet caramelized malt backbone. Some orange peels, some freshly cut oak, some pine needles. An overall light spicy sensation that seems to be coming from the wood. This beer is very sharp and bright. It probably has to do with the oak but everything seems to come out very bright. Not something to age for sure. I really liked this beer, more than I expected. It is very original and I was probably in the mood for something exactly like that. I opened the right bottle. Sometimes I can just hear a beer in my cellar call my name. But most of the time they just ask for Gary. Who the fuck is Gary?