overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 538   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   IBU: 5   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Sour in the Rye is an American wild ale. A challenging beer to brew due to the substantial amount of rye malt, but you’ll be glad we took the time. The character of the rye asserts itself with clove and pepper in the aroma and flavor, and contributes a full body not generally found in sour beers. Pleasantly sour with notes of tart cherry, rustic earth and vanilla notes from a year-plus of barrel aging.

rubbishystuff's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rubbishystuff (2149) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2013
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2015 At Jerry’s in Andersonville. The rye spiciness and sour work well together. Maybe this finished a little dry for my tastes but it was still pretty good. Puckery but not cheek numbing. Serving: Tap

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
lightbias (397) - USA - JAN 25, 2016
This wild ale from The Bruery comes with a reputation, and although I’ve been holding it for a little while, I needed something to take the bite out of this day. When the beer I’ve chosen for the evening promises to bite back, I’m sure to take full advantage of it. - The open neck releases a strong aroma of newly hewn oak and tart fruit and I reach for my snifter in giddy anticipation of the full experience. The beer pours a hazy shade of Karelian red, the foam an off-white formed of small, loose bubbles. The aroma in the glass is tenfold what I was loving out of the neck, and I will admit that it is a good fifteen minutes of just inhaling, stepping away and coming back to breathe in again...new each time. Phenomenal. The oak and spices mold themselves around the smell of cherries; tart and mouth-watering, laced with clove and blended to delight. - The way I do it is to pull a thin, strong stream between my lips, letting it glide over the length of my tongue and letting the beer dictate my response. This one receives a standing ovation from my whole mouth, the immediate reaction being a long, slow tightening of the glands along my jaw and then back along the sides of my tongue, flavor exploding at the tip. Wow. My mouth waters heavily and the flavors come alive. A mirror of the aroma, the smack of tart cherries laden in oak and spices fills my mouth, my nostrils; every breath. The perfectly carbonated medium body is fully capable of carrying this through to a beautiful finish, and does, each full mouthful leaving a bit of its sour goodness on my lips. The light funkiness of the yeast is an accent, a perfect pairing and a delightful harmony to the cherries. - Oh if I could find this again. The price is no object. I must have more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dorkenstein (257) - - DEC 26, 2015
Aromas of strawberries, apricots, and barrel. Taste is tart strawberries, tart berries, and apricots. Faint barrel character in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ilovedarkbeer (2573) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - DEC 24, 2015
Pours a copper color with a white beady head. Notes of yarn, white pepper, earth, and a sort of fruit based vinegar. Very nice with a good bit and smooth body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
thepatrickman (227) - Durham, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 21, 2015
From notes (06/29/15). Top notch sour ale, with a surprisingly complex malt flavor from the rye and a noticeable amount of oak flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gachupines (1185) - USA - DEC 7, 2015
Reddish amber color with a thin white head. Aroma is tart fruit, maybe a hint of rye at most. Flavor is very tart and fruity up front, there is a bit of rye malt that mellows it out a bit though it remains fairly tart throughout. Body is relatively full.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
alobar (3286) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2015
Pours orange-copper with aroma of cherry, spice and vinegar. Quite sour with cherry, pepper, and some tartness. Very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gschrade (922) - Collinsville, USA - NOV 19, 2015
I had this at Global Brew. Pours Amber with a small white head. Taste tart, cherry, citrus. I thought this was pretty good. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
back (1685) - Holstebro, DENMARK - OCT 27, 2015
Rødgylden uklar skum hvid Eddike gær rugmalt citrus stald Sur meget sød lidt Oile blød @døe

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hirigalzkar (2677) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 24, 2015
Bottle. A very fruity beer thats sweet and sour at the same time. Nice tartness in the finish. Ends with a small dryness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
finol (2719) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 24, 2015
2014 bottle from bierkoning Amsterdam. Pours amber. Very tart brew with some cherry.