overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 538   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   IBU: 5   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Sour in the Rye is an American wild ale. A challenging beer to brew due to the substantial amount of rye malt, but youíll be glad we took the time. The character of the rye asserts itself with clove and pepper in the aroma and flavor, and contributes a full body not generally found in sour beers. Pleasantly sour with notes of tart cherry, rustic earth and vanilla notes from a year-plus of barrel aging.

ThisWangsChung's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ThisWangsChung (826) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - JUN 30, 2013
750ml bottle into a pint glass. What better way to treat myself on my birthday? A: Pours a hazy reddish-orange color. Iím VERY impressed with the head this pours - itís about one fingers high (off-white shade) and superbly creamy. Granted, getting such head to form requires an aggressive pour, but even still, its retention is quite good. S: On the nose at least, the sourness is more acetic than lactic to me. Beneath this assertive tartness lies some nice fruit esters - cherry, peach, and apricot come to mind. Even if itís not really deep, I usually enjoy these vinegary sours a lot, especially when they have a level of balance to them. I donít pick up much rye, though. T: A good puckering bite starts this one off (in addendum, the sourness seems more lactic than acetic, unlike what the aroma suggested to me). The fruitiness reveals itself after the sourness leaves the palate, with some pleasant cherry notes to go along with tart crab apple and lemon juice qualities. Itís in the finish and aftertaste where I notice the rye malts; they both provide a subtle spiciness and a palate-scrubbing sensation. Itís actually fairly complex: some sips accentuate fruitiness, others accentuate the oak barrel (even providing a distant flavor of vanilla on occasion), while others bring out the rye notes. The only thing for me to really complain about is a slight lack of balance...as excellent as this is, itís perhaps a half step blow La Folie or Rodenbach Grand Cru in terms of delicacy. By the way, in the name of contrarianism, I decided to pour the yeast in about 2/3rds of the way in, and Iíd reckon itís made the beer a bit harder to drink. Keep the yeast in the bottle, trust me. M: For about a half second on the palate, itís fairly creamy...and then the oak tannins, rye malts, good carbonation, and sourness give it a slight roughness to it - which is nothing out of the ordinary for the style. Not the easiest drinking sour, but the moderately high ABV is hidden flawlessly. O: On these kind of occasions, I can totally justify spending $20+ on a bottle of sour ale (because YOLO íní shit) only for yours truly to consume solo. Thankfully this is good enough where I could easily justify doing such a thing again. Actually, itís pretty fantastic where Iíd purchase this somewhat commonly...goddamnit, Iíve been suckered in by another sour ale. STOP DRAINING MY WALLET DRY, DELICIOUS YET EXPENSIVE STYLE!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
lightbias (397) - USA - JAN 25, 2016
This wild ale from The Bruery comes with a reputation, and although Iíve been holding it for a little while, I needed something to take the bite out of this day. When the beer Iíve chosen for the evening promises to bite back, Iím sure to take full advantage of it. - The open neck releases a strong aroma of newly hewn oak and tart fruit and I reach for my snifter in giddy anticipation of the full experience. The beer pours a hazy shade of Karelian red, the foam an off-white formed of small, loose bubbles. The aroma in the glass is tenfold what I was loving out of the neck, and I will admit that it is a good fifteen minutes of just inhaling, stepping away and coming back to breathe in again...new each time. Phenomenal. The oak and spices mold themselves around the smell of cherries; tart and mouth-watering, laced with clove and blended to delight. - The way I do it is to pull a thin, strong stream between my lips, letting it glide over the length of my tongue and letting the beer dictate my response. This one receives a standing ovation from my whole mouth, the immediate reaction being a long, slow tightening of the glands along my jaw and then back along the sides of my tongue, flavor exploding at the tip. Wow. My mouth waters heavily and the flavors come alive. A mirror of the aroma, the smack of tart cherries laden in oak and spices fills my mouth, my nostrils; every breath. The perfectly carbonated medium body is fully capable of carrying this through to a beautiful finish, and does, each full mouthful leaving a bit of its sour goodness on my lips. The light funkiness of the yeast is an accent, a perfect pairing and a delightful harmony to the cherries. - Oh if I could find this again. The price is no object. I must have more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dorkenstein (256) - - DEC 26, 2015
Aromas of strawberries, apricots, and barrel. Taste is tart strawberries, tart berries, and apricots. Faint barrel character in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ilovedarkbeer (2573) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - DEC 24, 2015
Pours a copper color with a white beady head. Notes of yarn, white pepper, earth, and a sort of fruit based vinegar. Very nice with a good bit and smooth body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
thepatrickman (227) - Durham, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 21, 2015
From notes (06/29/15). Top notch sour ale, with a surprisingly complex malt flavor from the rye and a noticeable amount of oak flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gachupines (1185) - USA - DEC 7, 2015
Reddish amber color with a thin white head. Aroma is tart fruit, maybe a hint of rye at most. Flavor is very tart and fruity up front, there is a bit of rye malt that mellows it out a bit though it remains fairly tart throughout. Body is relatively full.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
alobar (3286) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2015
Pours orange-copper with aroma of cherry, spice and vinegar. Quite sour with cherry, pepper, and some tartness. Very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gschrade (922) - Collinsville, USA - NOV 19, 2015
I had this at Global Brew. Pours Amber with a small white head. Taste tart, cherry, citrus. I thought this was pretty good. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
back (1685) - Holstebro, DENMARK - OCT 27, 2015
RÝdgylden uklar skum hvid Eddike gśr rugmalt citrus stald Sur meget sÝd lidt Oile blÝd @dÝe

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hirigalzkar (2677) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 24, 2015
Bottle. A very fruity beer thats sweet and sour at the same time. Nice tartness in the finish. Ends with a small dryness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
finol (2719) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 24, 2015
2014 bottle from bierkoning Amsterdam. Pours amber. Very tart brew with some cherry.