overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 546   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   IBU: 5   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Sour in the Rye is an American wild ale. A challenging beer to brew due to the substantial amount of rye malt, but youíll be glad we took the time. The character of the rye asserts itself with clove and pepper in the aroma and flavor, and contributes a full body not generally found in sour beers. Pleasantly sour with notes of tart cherry, rustic earth and vanilla notes from a year-plus of barrel aging.

willhierholzer's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
willhierholzer (3) - USA - AUG 21, 2013
A marvelous sour, with biscuity, caramel notes from the oak aging. The nose has a bit of citrus and cherry, and is is the color of tangerines or kumquats. The palate has a bit more acidity than I typically care for, but hey, itís a sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bursprak (2149) - Aarhus, DENMARK - APR 18, 2016
Bottle split with the DB boyz. Hazy dark golden pour with a fizzy head. Notes of citrus, peaches, pineapple, woody vanilla, light tannins and some grains.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Douberd (4426) - Arnhem, NETHERLANDS - APR 17, 2016
(Bruery Terreux Sour in the Rye) Bottle 750 ml as Sour In The Rye, bought at De Molen shop a couple of years ago if I remember well. Served into a tulip, ABV 7.8%, so must be vintage 2013. Dark brown red colour on the body, hazy and murky but thatís my fault since I took it in a trip with me and back home when I didnít drink it there, as a result it was llying the whole time and even the bottleís neck wias covered with yeast. Small light beige head on top, with average retention. Very nice aroma with rye, red grapes, wood, plenty of vinous notes, faint sugars, yeast. Taste is sour with red grapes, again lots of vinous notes, wood, light candy sugar, sour cherries, caramel, berries, very complex. Medium thin body with good amount of carbonation, nicely tart on the palate. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RasmusOtt (2082) - Aarhus, DENMARK - APR 17, 2016
Bottle. Pours orange amber with a tiny white head. Aroma of funky basement, oak, vinegar, leather, weak pepper and some brett. The taste has notes of leather, vinegar, vanilla, oat, goose berries and slight cherry/strawberries as well. Seriously good and underrated imo! well balanced sour!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrownPaperBags (16) - Plano, Texas, USA - APR 11, 2016
Looks great, clear amberish, with some red. Thin white head that fades. Smells vaguely acidic, but unremarkable. The taste is mostly sweet, with stone fruit overtones, but also features some flowery notes. I was overall unimpressed considering the massive reputation of the beer, but considering what it was I also firmly approved of the acid/sweet. If anything, I was looking for a drier finish and more sour, but that could just be personal bias.

Klimaet (1408) - Aarhus N, DENMARK - APR 10, 2016
Bottle. Pours hazy orange with a medium white head. Aromas of lactic sourness, wild strawberries, woody, citrussy, light bretty, funky. Taste is wild strawberries, oaky, lactic, citrussy, light vinegary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MacBoost (1709) - Penfield, New York, USA - APR 3, 2016
Chugged this in two sips. Kinda tart, kinda sweet. Michcam8 is a dumb fat fucker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Slipstream (2384) - USA - MAR 7, 2016
Definitely as advertised, a sour rye brew. A finely honed, yeasty, sour strength dominates. This is definitely for fans of the sours. By the way, there should be a better name for sour beers than "sour beers." This is fairly complex, with oak coming thru in the swallow and lemon-lime acidity dominating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hoprider (341) - DENMARK - FEB 12, 2016
Pours a clear copper color with a semi frothy white head. The nose has lacto sour fruityness going on, mostly on sour apple. Hints of fermenting hay and citrus. The taste is pretty sour with the lactic sensation coming through in a big way. The aftertaste is mouthsmackingly zesty again with the yoghurty sour apples coming through. Mouthfeel is oily with medium carbonation. Liked it lots.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
lightbias (437) - USA - JAN 25, 2016
This wild ale from The Bruery comes with a reputation, and although Iíve been holding it for a little while, I needed something to take the bite out of this day. When the beer Iíve chosen for the evening promises to bite back, Iím sure to take full advantage of it. - The open neck releases a strong aroma of newly hewn oak and tart fruit and I reach for my snifter in giddy anticipation of the full experience. The beer pours a hazy shade of Karelian red, the foam an off-white formed of small, loose bubbles. The aroma in the glass is tenfold what I was loving out of the neck, and I will admit that it is a good fifteen minutes of just inhaling, stepping away and coming back to breathe in again...new each time. Phenomenal. The oak and spices mold themselves around the smell of cherries; tart and mouth-watering, laced with clove and blended to delight. - The way I do it is to pull a thin, strong stream between my lips, letting it glide over the length of my tongue and letting the beer dictate my response. This one receives a standing ovation from my whole mouth, the immediate reaction being a long, slow tightening of the glands along my jaw and then back along the sides of my tongue, flavor exploding at the tip. Wow. My mouth waters heavily and the flavors come alive. A mirror of the aroma, the smack of tart cherries laden in oak and spices fills my mouth, my nostrils; every breath. The perfectly carbonated medium body is fully capable of carrying this through to a beautiful finish, and does, each full mouthful leaving a bit of its sour goodness on my lips. The light funkiness of the yeast is an accent, a perfect pairing and a delightful harmony to the cherries. - Oh if I could find this again. The price is no object. I must have more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dorkenstein (344) - - DEC 26, 2015
Aromas of strawberries, apricots, and barrel. Taste is tart strawberries, tart berries, and apricots. Faint barrel character in the finish.