overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 590   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Tart of Darkness is a traditional stout that we aged in used oak barrels from The Bruery that had previously housed beers such as Cuivre™ or Black Tuesday®. We then brought them over to Bruery Terreux, added our special blend of souring bacterias and wild yeasts and watched nature take its course. The result is a perfectly tart yet awesomely dark and roasty, sour stout. Not a style you will see very often, and in our opinion, not a style seen often enough. This unique stout has notes of tart plums, roasted coffee, vanilla and oak.

mralexbradley (2) - California, USA - SEP 9, 2012 does not count
Definitely my favourite sour of all time! Was a little hesitant about a sour stout, but all my reservations were thrown out the window with my first sip!

SPDickerman (1065) - Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2012
Pours dark, dark ruby with a small, fizzy light brown head. Smells sour, pure and simple. Taste is sour cherries and other sour red fruits, with subtle hints of roast. Medium-bodied with a smooth texture and very fizzy mouth-carbonation, The Bruery Tart of Darkness finishes sour and fruity.

ericLep (10) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUL 22, 2015
750 ml. Dark. Incredible flavor with great finish. Easy to drink if you are a sour fan.

kanderso43 (16) - - AUG 15, 2015
Sour and Merlot to the nose, black with a small tan head. Flavored of sour cherries, smoke, and slight caramel. Well worth the $20 for the bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
WanderinCelt87 (195) - Hamburg, New Jersey, USA - OCT 2, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2013 Im not a big fan of sour beers but, I really like this beer. It has an amazing taste. Goes down smooth. I cant wait to see what it tastes like after i age it two years ( update.) OK so I opened bottle one after a year and it tastes amazing. Got a little smoother but otherwise still tastes the same as a fresh bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
whatsupstairs (112) - Inland Empire, California, USA - JUN 26, 2011
bottle shared poured into cigar city snifter rootbeer brown collor low carb vanilla,bubblegum its very good tart green apple crazy wood notes rite at the end go BRUERY! SWAG

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DanielBrown (4147) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - FEB 16, 2013
The Bish’s birthday present from Cotteridge Wines. Wow. Quite exceptionally good. The sourness is so full and intense, but perfectly balanced. Almost seems a shame to swallow it - I just wish it could live on my tongue forever. Good colour and scent also. One of the best ever.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
andrewje41 (1453) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - AUG 22, 2014
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2015 My love for sour beers has taken a really big circle that always brings me back to the beer that started it in the first place. I always liked sours, but the day I tried this beer, I loved them. This one is quite unique compared to the others. I’ve had this several timea, both on the bottle and on tap. Pours a dark muddy brown with little head. Sour berry and cherry aroma. Flavor is very tart up front, with cherry, vanilla, and some oak flavor. I’ll always dance with the one that brought me. I love this beer, and it ultimately sent me on my quest to find the best beers this world has to offer. Still my favorite beer to this day. I’m grateful for this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2011
25oz bottle. Really glad I have 2 more. Pours a fantastic opaque black hue, off white head. The aromas are blockbuster, tart cherry fruit, cocoa, but a really interesting acidity. Palate translates so well from the nose, a burst of super tart fruit up front that lingers through the mid and once it hits the finish a lighter cocoa powder. Really roasty and delicious, but so balanced, maybe one of the most balanced offerings i’ve had in a while. A seemingly flawless transition of sour and stout. Amazing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
zickbeer_ye (370) - Virginia, USA - AUG 27, 2013
Aromas of meaty soy, malts and worchestier. Thick tannish head and dark brownish black body. Meaty sour flavors some tart berry and malts. Sour and crisp on the palate. Delicious.