overall

RATINGS: 523   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
The Duck-Rabbit Barelywine is the hoppiest of all the Duck-Rabbit brews. This is a Farmville-style Barleywine, crafted the way brewers in Farmville have always done. Loads of Amarillo hops give a piney citrusy bitterness thatís supported beautifully by a toffee malt backbone. ABV: 11.0%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
RABinCO (1135) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 27, 2012
Pours a nice, light copper with no head. Fruity, hoppy aroma with a bit of alcohol burn even on the nose. Taste matches the aroma. Very hop forward (think Sierra Nevada big foot for reference.)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
durhamlou (13) - - SEP 8, 2012
I really like this ale. normally barley wines are too strong in either alcohol flavor or sweetness. this ale has the right balance between sweet and malt. it is very smooth with a slight twist of sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Perm (151) - Tryon, North Carolina, USA - JUN 2, 2008
This one is a real treat. The Duck-Rabbit folks consistently brew top-of-the-line products. I can only surmise that living and working in Farmville, NC inspires the brewers to spend long, long hours at their work indoors (where it is presumably air conditioned and has more interesting landscapes..).

Appearance: Russet-copper color. Mahogany, really. And as one would expect, no appreciable head to speak of.

Aroma: A real treasure-trove here: leather, tobacco, hops, cloves, allspice, and even a hint of oregano.

Taste: Banana, clove, caramel, allspice, grapes, brown sugar, and hops. Oy vey pass me another snifter!

Palate: A dry and warming finish.

Overall: Well-rounded for sure. This is one to cellar in bulk! Drinking this makes me long for winter -- seated in front of a roaring fire with my D-R Barleywine in one hand and a nice cavendish pipe in the other. Wearing a wool waistcoat, to be sure.

Serving type: bottle

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
lundy (47) - - DEC 17, 2011
Amber color, slightly hazy, with thin white head. Smells like caramel, roasted nuts. Really nice balance of sweetness and biterness. Full bodied, average carbonation. Long, lasting finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3251) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2008
I had been planning on this for 1900, but hey, I only missed by one. Clear amber, slight head fades quickly. Just what I expect from this style. Aroma is a rich shot of caramel malts and some spicy hops. Flavor is a mtach. Way more complex and satisfying than I am giving it justice for. Perfect palate. Excellent brew with great aging potential. Wish i had another one. Huge thanks to dkachur’s generosity for this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
N0AH (32) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2011
Dear Duck Rabbit Barleywine,
It was great to see you the other night. Itís been a while. I never said it before but, Iím sorry. We never really talked about why I left North Carolina. Youíre still the same, still rich and complex, hoppy and sublime. But Iíve changed. I didnít want to leave but we had to and Iím happy where we are. It really was great to see you. Letís not go so long apart this time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
574deadzone (980) - North Central, Indiana, USA - MAR 22, 2012
Huge thanks to Pops for picking this up for me on his way through Asheville. First impression...holy shit! First of all, the pour is a deep, mostly clear orange-red with a thin, sticky khaki head thatís sticking to my tulip in a ring. Nose is hugely sweet malt and hugely perfumey fruity hops, just madness and amazing. Lots of caramelized sugar notes and some citrus and pine in there, but that first whiff knocks you on your ass. Taste is big and sweet, but thereís some bitterness trying to balance it out on the back end. It does not prevail, however. Palate is really pretty easy going, not too heavy or thick, just smooth and full. Itís actually pretty easy to drink, especially at 11%. Iíd like to age a couple and see how they round out, but itís pretty damn tasty as is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
doboy (416) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2006
A nice barleywine from the Dark Beer Specialist! Dark amber with great head retention! More like an English Barleywine! Sweet, but not too sweet! Made me wish I had another to follow it with!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (7682) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Based on the ratings, I can only assume that this one either doesnít travel or age well, or perhaps it is too Thomas Hardyish in its makeup. Thanks to Ross for this. The pour was hazy ruby/coppery with a huge 3-finger khaki head and amazing head formations on the repour. The aroma is sour mashy, with caramel malt, fermented figs, cognac, cabernet, hops, and even cheddar cheese, which is a descriptor that I believe I hage only used with Thomas Hardyís in the past as far as aroma goes. The taste is caramel malty, figgy, hoppy, sour mashy, with cognacy notes, plus some tart berry and funky notes that even seem to get a bit vegetal at times, but in a good way. Very complex, but I do understand those that rate this low. I donít agree, but I understand. The palate is tart, sticky, funky, fruity, hoppy, and feety all at the same time, and that makes this one of the more unique brews I have yet quaffed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rajendra82 (946) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - FEB 16, 2008
This new arrival in Georgia was picked up at Greenís on Buford Highway today. As I poured the beer into an over sized wine glass, I was surprised at the level of carbonation and head retention in this 11% ABV brew. The body was burnished copper in color, and clear. The aforementioned head was a good three fingers thick, and was creamy enough to form a volcano cone above the rim of the glass. The smell was soft caramel dipped fruit. The spicy hops were also quite strongly evident in the smell. The taste was wondrously earthy sour, and my fears of confronting any cloying sweetness dissolved away as the warmth of the alcohol seared down my throat. The dryness was like sipping on some fine sherry. There were some lingering dry fruits in the finish. The body felt a little small, but it made this fine beer all the more drinkable. All of the ingredients felt a little bit disjointed at this young age, but I can clearly see the greatness this beer will achieve with a few years of aging. Welcome to our state Duck-Rabbit.