The West End Stout

New York, New York USA

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Summer   ABV: -

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 1, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2005 Oddly, this tasty stout made its debut over the Summer of 2005, which is not the normal time one quaffs stouts, but The West End has once again brewed a beer that is to my liking, so Iím not too bothered. West End Stout is a mild, very sweet, lightly nutty, lowly carbonated easy-drinking summer stout for the masses. Not unlike something that Times Square Brewery might have pumped out. I found it utterly delicious, because this is exactly the type of beer I like to drink - essentially a sweet, mild PorterStout with a fluffy beige head. Sadly, I must bid adieu to The West End and its Columbia University environs. Itís been a wonderful two years, but I must move on. Med school beckons, so I may not be around to try the West Endís next few beers, but Iíll try to make it, given how terrific Neal Acerís brews have turned out so far. Interestingly, as of 8/1/05, the KeroWhack 10% is not being served, but reportedly "should" be back when the Columbia students return in September.

Rerate 9/9/05:
This time, I found the Stout to be a little overly fizzy and it was more reminiscent of a schwarzbier. Thereís a hint of roast and itís still moderately sweet. No hops to be found. Very nice, but for the massive amount of carbonation.