overall
Style: Old Ale
Masham, England

RATINGS: 1345   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Abv reduced from 5.7 to 5.6 in 2010.
Its initial sweetness is, apparently, "of roasted and vinous notes with a subtle bitter aftertaste". Strong fruitiness, often with "banana notes" standing out, is derived from Old Peculierís fermentation process.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
budguy2142 (24) - USA - JAN 30, 2002
The first beer that I said I could not live without. Luckily, I havenít had to. Good color, better taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brian (145) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 19, 2002
Looks great, tastes even better. An ale with a spectacular coffee flavor, and I donít even like coffee very much. The taste lingers in the mouth, but in a good way, the way a beer should. Not sure about the so-called íbanana notes,í but the roasted flavor stands out. I daresay that having this with food can only cause the food to get in the way of the beerís taste. Itís perfect to drink all by itself. Like ice skating judges, I have to leave room for a potential perfect score, but so far, beer hasnít been better than this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
armyant99 (8) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 17, 2002 does not count
great color, great coffee flavor an overall amazing drink

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bahiagoldtb99 (6) - USA - JAN 16, 2002 does not count
I tried this fine ale at a bar the other night. It was out of the bottle but still excellent. Its a very dark ale but not too strong. Very smooth, and a good choice if you like Bass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 12, 2002
A bit thin. And I hate raisins, as they are the work of the devil. My roomie in college (Balthazar) once brought some raisins into our room and I instantly chucked them out the window. Grapes should be made into wine or enjoyed fresh, not zombified. The fact this beer didnít get a 0.5 from me speaks highly of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dougan (93) - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, CANADA - JAN 11, 2002
Tastes like Pump House Burns Scotch Ale so it is right up there at the top of my list. Would Probably be out of this world on tap!

mattcolo99 (27) - USA - JAN 11, 2002
This is one of the best beers on tap Iíve ever had. Good luck finding it on tap though. Bottled is amazing too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - JAN 8, 2002
Burnt taste, fruity aroma. Very full tasting brew. I would like to try it on tap sometime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirt (28) - Vancouver / Whistler, CANADA - JAN 7, 2002
i was pretty sceptic at first, but damn was I surprised.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rauchbier (3634) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - DEC 14, 2001
Malty nose with a suggestion of smoke, deep ruby red. complex flavours with a hint of sourness, but against a lovely soft palate. Extremely drinkable despite its high (by english standards) alcohol level.