overall

RATINGS: 559   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
A beautiful golden-hued brew in the pale ale style. The lightest of our beers, it includes a nice hop flavor and all pale malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TAR (2495) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - AUG 28, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 The aroma is absolutely clean with notes of bread, cookie, graham, crisp hops, Bell's signature yeast, and quite airy. The mouthfeel has a tonic side. Lemony notes and pale malt foundation here remind me of a crisp Pilsner. This is a great example of a delicately balanced APA. Mine has been sitting on the shelf for quite some time. Some age has done this some some good in comparison with other ratings. A perfect Summer drinker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Brew4Dug (138) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2002
Decent APA, but there are so many others that eclipse this version. I know Bells can do better. I think I enjoyed reading the label more than the drink itself

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Panzuriel (1308) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 19, 2002
Not a very good beer. I agree that it was disappointing for a Bell’s offering. A little thin and a little lean on the decent flavor. It’s okay, but not very good. I’d pass it up unless you absolutely want to try it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
softale (188) - Michigan, USA - AUG 16, 2002
This is a decent pale ale. But when you’re label says Bell’s, people are going to expect a little more than this one delivers. Cloudy golden-amber in color. Head was average in size but had very good retention. Aroma is less floral and has more of an orange-peel character. Taste is pretty tame for an APA. Overall it adds up to just an average brew from Bell’s.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2002
I have to give a big ditto to all of the other raters out there. For a Bell’s brew, this falls towards the bottom of an excellent beer repetoire. The color is a hazy light orange or dark yellow. Excellent head retention. Some hints of citrus derived from hops and yeast. A decent brew to start a summer drinking session with, but after one or two, I would be trolling the fridge for something new.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - JUL 23, 2002
I traded two Anchor Porter’s for two of these one night...poor choice on my part...I’m not a huge fan of Pales to begin with but being a Bell’s product I thought it would be a solid ale, but I wasn’t impressed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
jazz88 (2556) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 17, 2002
Bottle. A hazy golden yellow with suspended particles and some rising bubbles. A great snow white frothy head that lasted until last drop. All was good until I smell the beer - a damp piss smell. Remarkable for its lack of flavor. It’s only redeeming character in this area is in the feel of the beer in the mouth. A poor effort.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 13, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2003 Thought I picked up a sixer of Third Coast Old Ale. Cloudy, yeasty, sour. I was very dissapointed. Drain pour (may have been a bad batch?).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 9, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2004 2002 and 2004 bottles. not bad, not great. I guess they made what they were trying to make. A little bit too light for me, and a strange bubbly/bitter taste that dosent belong. Could use some more hops, too grainy of a character. A touch more sweetness wouldnt hurt either. Has a good deep yellow color, with some moderate haziness and a huge foamy white head. Lots of sediment floaties. Aroma is dry, papery, touch of citrus, typical apa aroma, though lacking the caramel sweetness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
swamptours (28) - Romulus, Michigan, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Pretty good but not quite up to the other great beers that Bells produces. A little too light in the taste for an ale for my tastes.