overall

RATINGS: 236   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 62   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
We took our award winning Siberian Night Russian Imperial Stout and aged it for 11 months in fresh bourbon barrels. The result blew us away. The dark chocolate malt yields a milk chocolate flavor that blends perfectly with the vanilla flavor from the barrel. The bourbon aroma adds the finishing touch.
2013 vintage: 10.9% abv, 58 IBU

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cards04 (2344) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 26, 2015
A really great brew. Pours a thick inky black. Awesome aromas of bourbon, dark fruit, sherry. Tastes like whisky, a bit of sour cherry, vinous, sherry, dark fruit, dark chocolate, vanilla. Just a great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kathouse (1256) - Nevada, USA - MAR 23, 2015
Milk chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon aromas are so appealing. Beer is black with a light brown head. Thick and full mouthfeel is deep with oak, bourbon, vanilla, and a rich chocolate flavor that blends really well. The alcohol is noticeable but doesn’t overpower.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lightbias (301) - USA - MAR 15, 2015
I open the bottle, and aroma erupts from the neck in a smorgasboard of scent: bourbon, a rich, nutty European chocolate, ash. I tip the bottle into the snifter and the liquid pours a viscous, black-brown color forming a deep cappuccino head on top, dense and soft. I sip at first; tasting. I experience a mirror of the aroma; I push the beer around my mouth with my tongue, bringing the experience to every surface and savoring every drop. Soon, I’m taking deep draws and filling my mouth with the creamy brew, hardly understanding that I only have a single, small bottle and that I shouldn’t be so greedy! The taste is dry, ashy and a tad bitter, but the balance is sweet, the bourbon creating a small nibble on the back on my tongue. The chocolate with a very subtle hint of vanilla comes in to sooth the bite and creates an extremely pleasant experience. I expected boozy and I get very little, considering the ABV, but I can definitely feel the warmth in the back of my throat (my chest, my cheeks, you get the picture). The finish is fairly long, but leaves me with a comfortable experience, so that I just really don’t mind having it stick around for a bit. A fantastic experience that would be mine more often if this were local!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
svandyke (105) - USA - MAR 6, 2015
Bottle from the Lager Locker in Frankenmuth- midnight black with no head bourbon. So smooth and good. What else is there to say.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Maddog (455) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - FEB 28, 2015
Bottle from Dorothy Lane Market in Centerville, OH. Pour is a jet black with little to no head. The aroma is milk chocolate and vanilla. Very creamy and very delicious. Chocolate and vanilla accompany the roasted malts and subtle bourbon. A nice BA imperial stout. I wonder, though, wouldn’t it be even better if they left it in the bourbon barrel for 12 months instead of 11?

mixmasterob (970) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 26, 2015
Bottle from Bruisin Ales. Black pour with a dense brown head. Nice looking pour. Aroma was lots of bourbon and dark roasted malt. Bits of cocoa and coffee crept in, good bit of vanilla. Flavors were bittersweet cocoa, heavy bourbon, touch of astringent malt, light vanilla. Plus mouthfeel with light carbonation. Not too shabby.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DialSquare (3398) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 20, 2015
On tap at Daily Growler, UA: black pour with thin tan head. aroma of burnt sweet chocolate, little vanilla, oak. tastes are dark roasty, bitter coffee - don’t get much bourbon. still good, but little disappointing as a variation on the base. think I like base better. - 7.4

tillmac62 (422) - Gaffney, South Carolina, USA - FEB 16, 2015
Pours dark as a starless night. Normal head, lacing and retention for a barrel aged stout. Rich nose of bourbon over mostly chocolate, but roast and hints of dark fruit are also present. As it warns, coffee is noted. Light full body with a rich smooth texture that is almost creamy. Normal carbonation for barrel aged with effervescence in the finish. The excellent flavor profile is well balanced and complex. It begins with bourbon, under which is sweet dark chocolate that progresses to roast and coffee, then rotates to a caramel and dark fruit sweetness. Notes of raisin, plum and molasses are detected across the profile. It finishes smoothly with sweetness, and a slight alcohol note, roast bitterness and a fading bourbon flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GIJOE (925) - North Berwick, Maine, USA - FEB 13, 2015
Pours black with a huge pillowy tan head that lingers long. Some lacing. Nose is intense boozy dark-roasted malt, chocolate and vanilla with notes of coffee, bourbon, and a hint of wood. Taste is quite sweet, but the hop bite comes through. Aftertaste is like bourbon filled chocolates. Full body. Mild carbonation. Very tasty brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Darkover (1528) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2015
Dark black with a brown head. Aroma of bourbon, roasted malts and chocolate. Taste is sweet, chocolatey, bourbon. Smooth, drinkable, really good.