overall

RATINGS: 1305   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Creamy and full-bodied, with a complex character from generous amounts of roasted, toasted, and caramel malts. For those who demand flavor, this is the perfect libation. Bronze Medal winner 2003 GABF, Gold Medal winner 2005 GABF.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - MAY 23, 2005
Jimmack05 invitational, 5-22-05. This was all I heard and hoped for. Thick, like the old " used motor oil " saying. Poured black with a very small brown head. Roasted notes and chocolate , typical stout nose. Taste was great. All the above with a small bitter ending. Loved this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
desurfer (1272) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Pours an inky black with a thin, chocolate colored head. Aroma is rather thin; some burnt, roasty tones. Flavor is big and malty, surprisingly sweet, with lots of chocolatiness and a tad bit of coffee. Not too much alcohol noticeable. Itís well balanced, and while being a big beer, itís not so much in-your-face. I like that. Delicately balanced, subtle in its pleasure; this is a well-made beer!

DocLock (9365) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 16, 2005
The green eyes stare at me, wanting me to partake of the contents...almost daring me. As the beer ejaculates itself into the glass it produces a smallish dark tan head. It allows no light to pass through, presenting me with an ebony beauty that beckons me to take it.....now. The aroma is huge roast malt, chocoff, walnuts and almonds. A heavy, musky aroma that seeps into my cerebrum. As it reaches my tongue it avails its savory flavors to my eager mouth and lips......huge molasses, roasty malt, chocoff, rauchiness, licorice, hazelnuts.....all the aromas signify that it is ready for swallowing. As it hits the back of my throat, it opens up with a very dense palate, exposing tons of chocolate syrup and slight coffee, coupled with an array of nutty pleasures including hazelnuts, walnuts, and almonds. It has given itself completely to me, and I have pounded its ebony flanks for all it is worth, leaving it a heaving lump. Crank up the band, boys and girls, we have perfection, and I need a hand towel!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (5645) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 15, 2005
Deep, dark pour with thicky, dark, burnt brown lacing - huge aroma of espresso, chocolate, some mild hops, vanilla, some background hints of spices and leather? - creamy mouthfeel, very silky texture - sweetened black coffee dominates the flavor, but doesnít overpower everything else - lots of bitter hops help balance out the initial sweetness - substantial cocoa flavor - some vinous notes, a little port like, but not quite thick enough to sustain those qualities - a great imperial, ending up tasting like a combination of storm king and bellís expedition.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - MAY 14, 2005
Pitch black with a beautiful dark brown head. Full and heavy aroma, roasted malt, coffee and hop with flowery tones. Heavy coffee and roasted malt flavor. Sweet with a good bitter finish. Dark, biding, thick and very very delicious!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2980) - Ocean County, New Jersey, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours out dark black with a nice tan head. The aroma is roasty with some notes of chocolate. The taste is suprisingly smooth for the style of beer and has a nice complex flavor with noted of primairly coffee, roasted malts and a slight touch of fruit and carmel that linger. A great brew

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ross (2128) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAY 6, 2005
pours out dark and has a tan head. flavor is sweet, full of chocolate and caramel, and has little to no bite whatever. this is almost a beer you could gulp down. one of the better imp stouts ive had, as it is definately the most drinkable of any imp stout ive had. well worth the rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2005
Another top 50 sent over from Capín Cougar! This stout poured out pitch black and super thick....borderline possibility that its the thickest I poured out to date. Little to no head. Nose was weaker than I expected after seeing that monstrosity of a pour. But once my taste buds got a chance to test out this brew, I was blown away. Tons of chocolate and caramel. Some coffee and hints of darker fruits. Super creamy and super smooth, this beer was superb.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2005
thanks to bbb63 for the bottle, pours solid black, viscous looking, with no head at all, smell is roasty with a molasses/licorice character. sweet malty flavor straight off the top with a solid chocolate backbone. the tail comes in very sweet and has a vanilla or lactose style to it. body is rich and full and very smooth body and velvet mouthfeel. mike is becoming more of my hero with each bottle from our trade.

Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 27, 2005
I didnít think this beer was going to be much. I didnít like the label. I thought it was cheesy. Well, the beer poured an oily black with absolutely no head. Aroma was of roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and a few hints of dark fruits. Full, slick, and creamy mouthfeel. Dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, milk, and hops on the tongue. Nice long and lingering aftertaste. A great Imperial stout. I was truly impressed by this one.