overall

RATINGS: 1241   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
Creamy and full-bodied, with a complex character from generous amounts of roasted, toasted, and caramel malts. For those who demand flavor, this is the perfect libation. Bronze Medal winner 2003 GABF, Gold Medal winner 2005 GABF.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2004
pours a dark cherry/mohagany with a layer of dark tan foam with a reddish brown sheen.Nose at first reminded me of a bowl of raisin oatmeal with molasses.First sip and the rush of different flavors is certainly amazing with dark fruit,raisin,molasses, fresh roasted coffee beans. Each detectable and not smothering the others out.Thick and damn tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - OCT 29, 2004
Thick dark brown with vicous syrup likeness and a small dark head. Coffee, chocolate, molasses and burnt toast nose. Nice sparkle in the mouth with heavey sweet lingering finish. Blackstrap molasses, chocolate, cocoa, coffee and a carbonation that balances the sweetness well. Finish is saved from being cloying by the bitter roasted malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 19, 2004
(Brewed and Bottled by Frederick Brewing Company) This is a very dark and thick brew that has a big sweet malt nose. The head is fairly thick and dark brown in color. The palate is obviously full and warm. This beer is well balanced for it size, which I find remarkable. The palate is loaded with dark chocolate flavors. This beer is certainly a cold weather restorative.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (771) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 10, 2004
Sampled at GABF 2004. First, I must say that a belated congrats goes out to the person that said it was a good idea to put the Thirsty Dog table in the beer garden. Both me and the wife used our 6 oz pour tix for this jewel. Pitch black body topped by a short-lived tan head that collapses down into a fine tan film. The aroma is sweet and nutty up front. Deep inhalations are rewarded with a slight alcohol burn and coffee and chocolate roastiness. The flavor is bitter creaminess with more roast coffee and chocolate and toffee. This is a very roasty imperial stout. The hops are pushed back (but not too far) by the huge amounts of roast flavors. The body is massive with a slight tinge of alcohol and carbonation. A mighty fine brew all the way around. I’ve got to find more of this. I had an idea it would be good, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Scott S. (8) - North Royalton, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2004 does not count
A wonderful pitch Black bodied beer. Not to bitter and the roasty aroma makes this a great beer..No hint of High Alcohol % to the taste..til you stand up.

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 10, 2004
Had two hiding in the cellar, but I have one of them allocated for a trade so part of me was hoping I wouldn’t love it as I opened the other one. Pours black with essentially no head in my just rinsed glass (my friend sharing the bottle with me had a noticeable frothy tan head though...). Holy coffee batman - strong enough that while the glass was on the floor someone in the room said she could smell coffee. And dark bittersweet chocolate too - which is the best kind in my addled mind. Very roasty aromas - almost like the coffee had been on for too long, but not quite. Surprisingly effervescent in the mouth and a fairly thin mouthfeel too. Even so it coats the mouth very nicely. Couldn’t taste alcohol anywhere but I think the tongue was the only part of the body not to realize there was some in there I think. Wish it was a touch more bitter in the finish but I am still tasting the espresso flavours now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 6, 2004
"Stouty" black body. Dry coffeeish / chocolately aroma with strawberry notes. Intense chocolate malt flavor has candied cherry, dark chocolate an da certain grainy yeastiness. Finishes with a residual mocha flavor. This was my last beer of the whole festival, I used my 6oz pour on it. My tongue was pretty shot by then but I’m certain this is an excellent stout.

3fourths (7855) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2012 Draft - October 2004
GABF 2004 - I sampled this with my 6oz pour both night I atteneded the festival, and it was definitly a highlight of the event. Beats the snot out of the bottled version. Solid black body with a medium sized brown head. Bubbled lacing rather than oily. Intensely sweet and smooth, very bright and fresh tasting. Light bourbon and cream flavors, with fresh wood and hops exploding everywhere. Extremely thick body and an oily mouth feel, moderate carbonation and light alcohol presence. AWESOME STOUT.
Draft rating: 9/5/9/4/18 = 4.5

Bottle - July 2004
Black, brown head. nose is a roast cherry and chocolate concoction, sweet smoked malts, strong chocolate and thick flavor... nice stuff. Lots of smoke in the finish... glad I could try this at RBSG 2004.
Bottle rating: 8/4/8/4/17 = 4.1

From a 25-imperial stout blind tasting, Feb 2008
More of a black cherry, plum, char and motor oil quality in the nose, with a slight soy sauce note as well. Heavily roasted, with some charred bread/toast, but nicely balanced with a rich chocolate malt flavor, not too ashy but a little too much char (chocolate char?), and a light oatmeal note as well. I actually guessed this one right, but not because of anything really in particular (chance?)
7/4/7/4/14 = 3.6

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (5253) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 4, 2004
GABF2004... Poured a black color with a medium sized tan head. Aroma of roast, chocolate, dark fruits, smoke and toffee. Taste was nice roasty and toasty chocolate, anise, and light figs. Full and round mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Black. Nose of deep, dark chocolate, burnt malt, caramel malt, roasted malt, black currants and other various dark fruits. Lovely, malt accented, true to the style imperial stout with notes of chocolate, roasted, black and caramel malt with other notes of cocoa and currants. Well balanced and nice depth. A great Imperial that represents the style well.