overall

RATINGS: 2263   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rballs01 (282) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - APR 2, 2005
The way an IPA should be! Upfront citrusy hop aroma, nice full cloudy color, a hop flavor that is to die for. Drink and enjoy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2006 Let me start by saying that I liked this beer but, because it is a Pale Ale, I found it very difficult to rate. That said...... It pours a clear dark copper with a medium sized, rocky eggshell white head. With my eyes closed, my nose told me I had just poured an IPA due to the bountiful floral, citrusy grapefruit & hoppy aroma. Keeping my eyes closed, my tongue would have confirmed the noseís conclusion that an IPA was escaping the glass. Hop bitterness up front with citrus fruit, vanilla and malt sweetness not too far behind. Finish was dry, bitter and refreshing. Mouthfeel was - well, hereís where the problem of rating this beer became a challenge - mouthfeel was very thin for an IPA but appropriatly light for a PA. All in all, almost everything about this beer screamed IPA and thatís great - for an IPA. I love IPAs but I donít always want one. If I want a Pale Ale, I expect it to have the flavor & palate profiles of a PAle Ale - not of an IPA - and thatís where I think this beer falls short. Donít get me wrong - I like it and Iíd gladly drink it again but Iím putting them on the IPA shelf because thatís what it is - a tasty Pale with an identity crisis.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
A nice deep golden w/ a slight red tinge to the color. Strong floral hops aroma which actually has a lighter taste than you would expect. Somewhat bitter in the aftertaste that doesnít disappear quickly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enormo (26) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Rich orange red color with a frothy off-white head. Sweet smell of earthy hops; citrusy. Flowery, citrus flavor with a finish I canít quite put my finger on, but I know itís dry and the hops linger for a while. Only detraction comes from the somewhat thinner body. At $6.99 two blocks away, this will definitely become a regular.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1799) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 22, 2005
much thanks to growler for this bonus beer.the king pours a lovely translucent orange with a creamy white head that leaves wonderful webbing.this pale ale honestly smells alot like an i.p.a.citrus and pine dominate the smell.the taste had the citrus and pine in it as well.along with some ice tea,caramel malts,cream soda,and flowers.the mouthfeel was a little on the light side but not in a bad way.overall this is very drinkable,but its damn close to an i.p.a.

Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Wonderfully hoppy for an APA. Iíd say at 66 IBUs, more than DFHís 60 Minute, Three Floydís might look into reclassifying this fellow. Great hops, though. Cascade stands out most substantially, giving it that grapefruity citrus-ness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Louipa (121) - USA - MAR 18, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2006 Hey, what can I say, its good stuff. Copper color. Small white head. Smells good. I could drink a lot of it. Lots of better beers out there, but this is a great pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lamas (1527) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Bottle. Pour is a deep copper with thin light-tan head. Aroma is strongly of caramel with a touch of hops. Taste is nicely balanced. Sweet malty start and a touch of bitter hops at the finish. A good bit of caramel in the taste along with some warming alcohol. Solid beer though nothing exceptional. Based on other reviews maybe mine has aged??

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 14, 2005
It does bear quite a resemblance to an orange in aroma and taste, of course there is less sweetness and a sharp bitter finish. This beer pours a lovely amber color with a thick head. An extremely enjoyable Pale Ale without the malt heaviness of some.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
McKnizzle69 (89) - Machesney Park, Illinois, USA - MAR 10, 2005
Smells like a sweet ffesh orange. A little cloudy. Initial taste is sweet with a very citrus finish, like chewing on an orange peel.