overall

RATINGS: 2122   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonwell (104) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - APR 29, 2004
My first three floyds beer. I smelled it as soon as I popped the cap. Hops much? Pours with a good sized, white, rocky (nigh continental) head. Color is beautifully copper/orange, and absolutely crystal clear. Beautiful. Iím going to sit here and smell this for a while. Ooh ya. OK, letís taste it. Pleasently sweet on the tip of the tongue, with an affirmative hop bitterness that flows down the tongue. Hop taste is wonderful. Finishes clean and dry with a pleasently bitter hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected. What a wonderful beer. I wish I could get more of this, but I guess Iíll have to make do with the three I have.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 28, 2004
a pretty good beer. but not the best aftertaste. best sipped over the course of an hour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2004 Clear deep reddish amber with a medium frothy off white head. Huge hoppy aroma of resin, grapefruit, orange peel, pine, caramel and apricot. Medium watery body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Flavor of caramel, pine, orange peel, and grapefruit, with hints of toasted bread and alcohol. A little disappointing, given the high score here. A very good beer regardless.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (7682) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2004
Thank you to atpayne for this one, which I am honoring by making it #500. Pours dark straw/amber with a super head and lacing. Great dark aroma of hops, fruit, citrus, and scotch. Tastes very hoppy, with some citrus, honey, scotch, cognac, and malt at the finish. Extremely complex, but not super heavy. Finishes very smooth, crisp, clean, hoppy, and complex, with subtle scotch, cognac, honey, citrus, and white grapes. Like some of my other high ratings, this one doesn't knock me out in any particular category, (aroma and appearance are awesome, though) it is the sum of the parts that make this one a kick ass brew. As a side note, the alcohol may be the best hidden of any beer I've ever had. I could literally drink these all night (at least until I passed out). Extraordinary beer. Thanks again to atpayne.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bdmast (10) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 21, 2004
Very hoppy, similar to an IPA (which I've quickly tired of) due to bitterness. Complex aroma, great amber color. Just the right amount of carbonation. Very satisfying overall, but a little too bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigbish (510) - California, USA - APR 18, 2004
A great beer from a great brewery. I nice amber color, with a head that displays some staying power. A slightly sweet hoppy aroma with an explosive flavor of malt with an extra helping of hops. One of my favorites

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 15, 2004
I found the taste a bit of a letdown. Something reminiscent of a fruit and ginger ale punch. Color, aroma, and appearance (if served at a proper temperature) are all very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2004
Very strong aroma of hops and flavor of hops. Although, I detect a faint similarity between this aroma and that of old martini olives. There is a serious bitterness to this beer. An excellent American Pale Ale

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BUrunner (92) - Indiana, USA - APR 13, 2004
Hoppy-citrus aroma comes from this copper colored brew. Great taste...sweet malt nose with a huge kick of hops for a smooth finish. Very nice Pale Ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jtw (1084) - farmington, Michigan, USA - APR 12, 2004
super-fresh hoppy aroma, with a hint of sweet malt. man, i like the smell of those american hops (definitely one of those ones that starts with "c"). ultra-smooth taste, great complex taste of malt and hops that finishes clean and hoppy. an awesome beer!