RATINGS: 2240   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopmaster (7) - redlands, California, USA - FEB 2, 2005 does not count
This is a good beer, but if itís really in the top 1 percentile of beers, theyíve changed something since I used to buy this stuff as my regular "drinking beer" a mile from the brewery when I lived in Whiting, Indiana four years ago. At that time, they were a tiny outfit brewing their beers in a non-deScript warehouse in Hammond, IN (they didnít even have a sign on the building!). I think they have since moved to new digs. I used to buy it because it was brewed locally, was very hoppy (too hoppy for most), and wasnít terribly expensive, about 2 bucks more a case than my usual Sierra Nevada Pale ale. Good stuff, but back then, underneath the high hoppy initial taste was a somewhat disappointing wateriness and lack of depth. Like I said, they must have changed something to get these high ratings, and Iíd like to try it again today to see. A memorable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2005 Bottle at Chrisí - brought by joet. I was very happy to see A Three Floyds beer. Red with a slight head. Hoppy U.S. aroma. Lovely and hoppy with some citric qualities. A good beer at the high end of the session beer scale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SilkTork (5450) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Hampshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
The Great Kilburn Gathering. Heavy oily cascade aroma repeated in flavour. Soft sweetness. An IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - FEB 1, 2005
Bottled at The London/Joet Gathering Chez Chris_O. A mid brown coloured beer with a good hoppy nose which has some orange notes. The taste is smackingly hoppy with pomegranite notes. Just really a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - JAN 31, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2005 Fantastic! This is my first offering from Three Floyds and I am very impressed. The pour is similar to the Victory Hop Devil but with an even cremier head. The aroma is sweet and Malty with a lot of hops. It is close to an IPA but not quite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kane (111) - USA - JAN 27, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2005 An American/Indian pale ale? I find it hard to consider this an pale ale when the deScription of their Dreadnaught is it is a step above their APA. How can you go from an APA to an Imperial IPA. The color is medium amber and a decent off-white head. Strong pine/ citrus hop aroma and taste that comes off a little too medicinal for me, if not slippery. Rather limp body. A nice flavorful beer that I find a little lacking in the malts. Lacks the body of SNPA and the smooth creaminess of Burning River, but I am sure the high hop profile will make most overlook this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cathcacr (644) - Oregon, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2005 If I didnít know, and just poured and sniffed and looked at it, it would come off as an IPA. (A plus, of course.) Very good sign. And it goes about as far as an APA can go. (Actually, not even as far as Great Lakes Burning River does.) Citrusy on the front, sweet on the finish, yadda yadda yadda. I think itís an inescapable feature of APAís: they present much like an IPA but theyíre smoothed around the edges, finishing soft and, well, flat. A lackluster orgasm that just ends with a kind of thud, emptiness, unintrusiveness, non-lingeringness. Okay, maybe thatís a bit harsh; after all, an APA can only be so much and a criticís got to be a Bastard. Itís good stuff. The sudsy sheen on top and lacing are real eye candy, like Stone IPA. Go on now, hop lover, join hands with the gargoyle, take that next step and go the rest of the way...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hezron (611) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2005
Dark Amber in color with a nice head. Smells of grapefruit and spruce. Tasted the citrus and spruce with a grassy aftertaste Fairly bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Arayaga2 (1946) - portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 21, 2005
Deceptively sweet smell, and initial taste finishes (too?) bitter and hoppy. My girlfriend tried it, made a face, and said it tasted like cockroach juice. Iím not sure how she knows, but I disagree.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Another one of my Top Ten. Carl...just rating this one makes me want to get back to The Maple Tree for an all nighter...or maybe follow those up with some free Budweisers...