overall

RATINGS: 2290   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 18, 2005
Amber in color with a medium off-white head. Aroma is of citrus,grapefruit,pine,orange and earthy hops. Flavor is moderately bitter, lingering from start to finish. Meaty body with a mild sweet caramel character that is balanced and covered up nicely by hops and bitterness. Agreat pale ale that puts alot of IPAís to shame.

MrBunn (2682) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2005
Fairly reddish for a pale ale. Aroma of pine, wood and a little earthy. Head is fairly thick and is around for the long haul. Flavor starts with a definite twinge of alcohol, almost scotch-like, then pine flavor comes in that blends nicely into hops aftertaste. Excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (11032) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2005
Poured a medium amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of grapefruits, oranges and pine. Tastes of grapefruits, pine, and caramel. Nice bitter finish with a light sweet balance. Very good IPA, oh mean APA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 11, 2005
12 oz. bottle. Very good APA.Reminded me alot like an IPA, but there was some difference. Pours a bubbly, hazy, red/orange color with a thin white head. Good floral hoppy aroma. A lot of pine scents. Strong hoppy, refreshing flavor. Really a great cool, tasty beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gmku (300) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 10, 2005
So we pour it in a Pernod bottle and start for New Orleans past irridescent lakes and orange gas flares, and swamps and garbabe heaps, alligators crawling around on broken bottles, neon arabesques of motels, marooned pimps scream obscenities at passing cars from islands or rubbish...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - APR 10, 2005
Smells of lemon, grapefruit, and pine phenols. Taste is strikingly citrus hop that slowly fades to a dull bitterness that restes on the sides and tip of the tongue. The flavor is strong, with lots of citrus (lemon, grapefruit, orange), but the taste is a little one-dimensional. I suppose I expected something more than this could have provided, and so it let me down. Mouthfel is a little thin, but not overtly watery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - APR 9, 2005
Copper colored and clear with a creamy thin tan head. Strong and hoppy aroma of pine, citrus, and caramel malt. One of the better ales I have ever smelled. Very delicate flavor of hops and malt that dances on the tongue and finishes clean and dry. One of the best APAís I have ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rballs01 (282) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - APR 2, 2005
The way an IPA should be! Upfront citrusy hop aroma, nice full cloudy color, a hop flavor that is to die for. Drink and enjoy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2006 Let me start by saying that I liked this beer but, because it is a Pale Ale, I found it very difficult to rate. That said...... It pours a clear dark copper with a medium sized, rocky eggshell white head. With my eyes closed, my nose told me I had just poured an IPA due to the bountiful floral, citrusy grapefruit & hoppy aroma. Keeping my eyes closed, my tongue would have confirmed the noseís conclusion that an IPA was escaping the glass. Hop bitterness up front with citrus fruit, vanilla and malt sweetness not too far behind. Finish was dry, bitter and refreshing. Mouthfeel was - well, hereís where the problem of rating this beer became a challenge - mouthfeel was very thin for an IPA but appropriatly light for a PA. All in all, almost everything about this beer screamed IPA and thatís great - for an IPA. I love IPAs but I donít always want one. If I want a Pale Ale, I expect it to have the flavor & palate profiles of a PAle Ale - not of an IPA - and thatís where I think this beer falls short. Donít get me wrong - I like it and Iíd gladly drink it again but Iím putting them on the IPA shelf because thatís what it is - a tasty Pale with an identity crisis.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
A nice deep golden w/ a slight red tinge to the color. Strong floral hops aroma which actually has a lighter taste than you would expect. Somewhat bitter in the aftertaste that doesnít disappear quickly.