overall

RATINGS: 2295   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - APR 10, 2005
Smells of lemon, grapefruit, and pine phenols. Taste is strikingly citrus hop that slowly fades to a dull bitterness that restes on the sides and tip of the tongue. The flavor is strong, with lots of citrus (lemon, grapefruit, orange), but the taste is a little one-dimensional. I suppose I expected something more than this could have provided, and so it let me down. Mouthfel is a little thin, but not overtly watery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - APR 9, 2005
Copper colored and clear with a creamy thin tan head. Strong and hoppy aroma of pine, citrus, and caramel malt. One of the better ales I have ever smelled. Very delicate flavor of hops and malt that dances on the tongue and finishes clean and dry. One of the best APA’s I have ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rballs01 (282) - Madison, New Jersey, USA - APR 2, 2005
The way an IPA should be! Upfront citrusy hop aroma, nice full cloudy color, a hop flavor that is to die for. Drink and enjoy!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2006 Let me start by saying that I liked this beer but, because it is a Pale Ale, I found it very difficult to rate. That said...... It pours a clear dark copper with a medium sized, rocky eggshell white head. With my eyes closed, my nose told me I had just poured an IPA due to the bountiful floral, citrusy grapefruit & hoppy aroma. Keeping my eyes closed, my tongue would have confirmed the nose’s conclusion that an IPA was escaping the glass. Hop bitterness up front with citrus fruit, vanilla and malt sweetness not too far behind. Finish was dry, bitter and refreshing. Mouthfeel was - well, here’s where the problem of rating this beer became a challenge - mouthfeel was very thin for an IPA but appropriatly light for a PA. All in all, almost everything about this beer screamed IPA and that’s great - for an IPA. I love IPAs but I don’t always want one. If I want a Pale Ale, I expect it to have the flavor & palate profiles of a PAle Ale - not of an IPA - and that’s where I think this beer falls short. Don’t get me wrong - I like it and I’d gladly drink it again but I’m putting them on the IPA shelf because that’s what it is - a tasty Pale with an identity crisis.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2005
A nice deep golden w/ a slight red tinge to the color. Strong floral hops aroma which actually has a lighter taste than you would expect. Somewhat bitter in the aftertaste that doesn’t disappear quickly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enormo (26) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Rich orange red color with a frothy off-white head. Sweet smell of earthy hops; citrusy. Flowery, citrus flavor with a finish I can’t quite put my finger on, but I know it’s dry and the hops linger for a while. Only detraction comes from the somewhat thinner body. At $6.99 two blocks away, this will definitely become a regular.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1799) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 22, 2005
much thanks to growler for this bonus beer.the king pours a lovely translucent orange with a creamy white head that leaves wonderful webbing.this pale ale honestly smells alot like an i.p.a.citrus and pine dominate the smell.the taste had the citrus and pine in it as well.along with some ice tea,caramel malts,cream soda,and flowers.the mouthfeel was a little on the light side but not in a bad way.overall this is very drinkable,but its damn close to an i.p.a.

Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Wonderfully hoppy for an APA. I’d say at 66 IBUs, more than DFH’s 60 Minute, Three Floyd’s might look into reclassifying this fellow. Great hops, though. Cascade stands out most substantially, giving it that grapefruity citrus-ness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Louipa (121) - USA - MAR 18, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 20, 2006 Hey, what can I say, its good stuff. Copper color. Small white head. Smells good. I could drink a lot of it. Lots of better beers out there, but this is a great pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lamas (1546) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Bottle. Pour is a deep copper with thin light-tan head. Aroma is strongly of caramel with a touch of hops. Taste is nicely balanced. Sweet malty start and a touch of bitter hops at the finish. A good bit of caramel in the taste along with some warming alcohol. Solid beer though nothing exceptional. Based on other reviews maybe mine has aged??