RATINGS: 2240   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Hazy coper in color. Aroma is hops, grapefruit. Flavor is hops, grapefruit. There is considerable bitterness. Notes of sweetness, perhaps caramel. The finish is crisp with an excellent hops bite. A great thirst quencher and an excellent brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2004
I really did not like this one at all, huge hop flavor to it that was real citrusy, but this just wasn’t my style, the warmer it got the more you could taste the alcohol, this was a drain pour.

barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - DEC 27, 2004
bottle. pours a tarnished copper color with a medium head. my first sip of this brew was met with a strong hop aroma and flavor, which did not sit well. but as I continued to drink this one, my first Three Floyd’s brew, I couldn’t believe how fast it went down. Even though it was strongly hopped, it was very smooth and quite delicious. The morale of this story is: don’t judge a beer by your first drink!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shrubber85 (9465) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Bottle. Melon and hops aroma. Opaque tan with little head. Primarily grapefruit and hops flavor throughout - slight hint of melon. A very nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2004
12 oz. bottle. Pours a tawny amber with a nearly-white head and substantial lacing. Hoppy, citrusy aroma. Hoppy flavor full of floral and citrus notes, with a tough of grapefruit and a slightly bitter, satisfying, aftertaste. Medium-bodied and smooth on the palate. Kind of tastes more like an I.P.A. than a pale ale. Overall, awesome; something I’ve sought out for quite some time now.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Hazy copper color, thick cream colored head. Full grapefruit hoppy aroma, some underlying malt sweetness. When first cracked open, the flavor was dominated by big, bold hops, as it warmed a bit the caramelly malts seeped their way in and created some very nice balance. Medium, creamy body. Very tasty, thanks wohlfs and qdog.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stogieman21 (5) - COLDWATER, Michigan, USA - DEC 21, 2004 does not count
hoppy hoppy new year... aroma citrisy. The flavor is grapefruit, orange, and malty rolled up to a nice package. It hits the palate with a wide assortment of flavors that has a long lasting bitter finale. Just right . I couldnt resist visited the brewery and bought a keg of this fantastic beer. You will like and then some.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tiggmtl (4545) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 17, 2004
Hugely hoppy nose - grapefruit, orange, pine, spices. Deep copper coloured with off-white/tan head that recedes slowly to generous cover. Toasted, biscuity malts awaken the heavy, soporific hop flavour. Plenty of hop bitterness but never overwhelming. Creamy, smooth texture to the chewy thick body with gentle effervescent mouthfeel. Bottle savoured with Enkerli and others.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2004
Let’s rate as I drink...Aroma: Chewy, chewy, citrus hops. Almost sticky (if that’s a smell...) with very lite caramel malt riding the hop underneath. Great copper-mahogony color, very clear. Reasonable head for such a beer too. Looks good. Well balanced right off the start but leaning towards hops. Gives you a hint of quenching liquid (and little malt) before moving into a hop brewhaha. Dry with citrus peal and pine (maybe mostly citrus peal). This is very good! WOW! I keep adjusting my ratings up as I continue to drink. I always chew a bit of hops when I brew, anyone else get THAT strong a taste?

biermensch (64) - USA - DEC 12, 2004
If I had to chose one ale/lager to drink, this would be my choice. This is truly the king, forget that nonsense out of St. Louis. The Floyds got it absolutely right with Alpha King, from the orange color, citrus and hops, huge flavor, yet easy drinkability. My first 20. I keep trying other American Pale Ales, but always come back to Alpha King.