overall

RATINGS: 2132   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 16, 2004
Brown, almost red with a white head. Nice hoppy smell. this beer is loaded with hop flavor without being overbearing. Great!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 7, 2004
Draught, at the The Blind Tiger, NY.</br> When Spiesy & AustinPowers drank. Amber with a lacy head. Has a very feral hop aroma. Strong bitter flavour and good long after taste. I didnít write enough about this famous beer. Itís hard to stop to write something when your talking your head off and downing the beer at pace. Anyway all the beers were enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 6, 2004
intensely hoppy, especially the aroma. Not really pale - more of a red / brown colour, plenty of malts there too. fruity citrus aftetaste. dangerously drinkable.

warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Nice amber color, creamy white head that clings well. Nice strong cascade hop aroma? Good hop bitterness and hop flavors. Has a chinook and cascade bitterness and flavor. Medium body with some crystal malt flavor, but not much. A very well done American Pale Ale, which I will have again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
desurfer (1211) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2004
APA? This seemed far too bold; I would classify it as an IPA. Huge citrusy, piney flavor and aroma, dry, bitter and enjoyable finish. Did I mention how great it looked in the glass? Top notch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
screigh (445) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JAN 3, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2008 ReRate: I have to admit that sometimes Three Floyds is all over the map on consistency. I recently picked up a sixer that didnít have any dust on the bottles, looked new. As soon as I cracked the cap I could smeel those wonderful Three Floyds hops. Amazing malt flavor with layers of hops complexity. This sixer was pure heaven. I swear God himself made this batch. I had to rerate because it was the best I have ever tasted. If they could consistently provide this on my store shelves I might drink nothing else. Note: I bought every sixer at the store. When they restocked the beer was off again...hop aroma low, malt seemed thin. Almost like they ran a 2nd runnings AK at the brewery. CíMon Nick! Keep it consistent.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - DEC 22, 2003
Thanks to jcalabre for this. APAs really don't get any better than this. Beautiful copper color with a small head that hangs around and laces nicely. Very nice malt character, smooth, excellent balance with a great finish. What more can you ask for?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (920) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - DEC 21, 2003
Bottle pours a beautiful dark amber color with a nice head a good lace. It looks real good. The aroma is hoppy and sweet. The flavor is hoppy with good malt. The palate is good and thick. Yep, I could have more of this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - DEC 21, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 One of the the best APAs I've ever had. The Stone 7th Anniversary might be a little better. Hop aroma is beautiful. Has more to it than just being piney. It has some mango and orange to it as well. Nice little head left in the glass sitting on top of the clear, copper-amber juice. Flavor consists mostly of hops, but has a nice malty backbone. Reminds a little of the Stone 7th anniversary. I would have to compare the two to say which I truely like best. I do like it better than the Sierra Nevada Harvest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jamesp (13) - Thornton, Colorado, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Good sized head with some decent lacing. Nice copper color. I like the finish, I can't really describe it too well, other than to say I can feel it for quite awhile in the back of my tongue.