RATINGS: 2235   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2004
I scored a fairly fresh batch a few months ago and should have written notes back then. I tasted the same batch recently, and it (like many Ipas) has lost its hoppy "edge". Still a wonderful brew, but the hops have dulled with a 3 month aging. This was superb fresh, but average after a few months on the shelf.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2004 When I was first introduced to this beer, I was warned that it wasnít for everyone, and at the very least took some getting used to, after all "itís not normal." Iíd already had an affection for the hops, and, well, it was love at first sniff and sip. Years later, after the bloom of fresh infatuation has mellowed, how does the beer compare, especially after this tongue has met so many others, with abundant charms? That is what we seek to discover... Perfect crimson-tinged nectarine hue, hazy, and blessed with a beautiful bed of froth up on top, leaving delicate lace, enticing the eye. Aroma makes matters worse for the thirst, big fruit, fresh hops, peachy, melon, orange, and, yes, mango, and more, a bountiful bouquet that keeps the nose happy and hoppy. Man, but I need a taste, though! An explosion in the mouth, the hops are a bursting throughout, but so well buttressed by malt, that any bitterness is mellow and well smoothed out, after an initial bite, at least. Like chomping into a ripe tangerine, juice splashing on the corners of the mouth and dripping down the chin. Though hoppiness flows freely, and bitterness peeks through time and again, the mouthfeel is actually soft and luxuriant, body is medium, and the overall effect is a constant joyride for the palate. A lively and rewarding ale, and a real American classic, a jewel in the craft-brew crown. Count yourself lucky if you can grab these with ease. Ah, I once had it on-tap around here...those were some fine days...

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Crash (532) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2004
Sour grainy taste with an aftertaste that never stops. Normal ale appearance with better than average head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonwell (104) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - APR 29, 2004
My first three floyds beer. I smelled it as soon as I popped the cap. Hops much? Pours with a good sized, white, rocky (nigh continental) head. Color is beautifully copper/orange, and absolutely crystal clear. Beautiful. Iím going to sit here and smell this for a while. Ooh ya. OK, letís taste it. Pleasently sweet on the tip of the tongue, with an affirmative hop bitterness that flows down the tongue. Hop taste is wonderful. Finishes clean and dry with a pleasently bitter hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected. What a wonderful beer. I wish I could get more of this, but I guess Iíll have to make do with the three I have.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 28, 2004
a pretty good beer. but not the best aftertaste. best sipped over the course of an hour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nexxus (261) - Apple Valley, Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2004 Clear deep reddish amber with a medium frothy off white head. Huge hoppy aroma of resin, grapefruit, orange peel, pine, caramel and apricot. Medium watery body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Flavor of caramel, pine, orange peel, and grapefruit, with hints of toasted bread and alcohol. A little disappointing, given the high score here. A very good beer regardless.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (8678) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2004
Thank you to atpayne for this one, which I am honoring by making it #500. Pours dark straw/amber with a super head and lacing. Great dark aroma of hops, fruit, citrus, and scotch. Tastes very hoppy, with some citrus, honey, scotch, cognac, and malt at the finish. Extremely complex, but not super heavy. Finishes very smooth, crisp, clean, hoppy, and complex, with subtle scotch, cognac, honey, citrus, and white grapes. Like some of my other high ratings, this one doesn't knock me out in any particular category, (aroma and appearance are awesome, though) it is the sum of the parts that make this one a kick ass brew. As a side note, the alcohol may be the best hidden of any beer I've ever had. I could literally drink these all night (at least until I passed out). Extraordinary beer. Thanks again to atpayne.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bdmast (10) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 21, 2004
Very hoppy, similar to an IPA (which I've quickly tired of) due to bitterness. Complex aroma, great amber color. Just the right amount of carbonation. Very satisfying overall, but a little too bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bigbish (615) - California, USA - APR 18, 2004
A great beer from a great brewery. I nice amber color, with a head that displays some staying power. A slightly sweet hoppy aroma with an explosive flavor of malt with an extra helping of hops. One of my favorites

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 15, 2004
I found the taste a bit of a letdown. Something reminiscent of a fruit and ginger ale punch. Color, aroma, and appearance (if served at a proper temperature) are all very good.