overall

RATINGS: 2215   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 21, 2003
Bottle pours a beautiful dark amber color with a nice head a good lace. It looks real good. The aroma is hoppy and sweet. The flavor is hoppy with good malt. The palate is good and thick. Yep, I could have more of this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - DEC 21, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 One of the the best APAs I've ever had. The Stone 7th Anniversary might be a little better. Hop aroma is beautiful. Has more to it than just being piney. It has some mango and orange to it as well. Nice little head left in the glass sitting on top of the clear, copper-amber juice. Flavor consists mostly of hops, but has a nice malty backbone. Reminds a little of the Stone 7th anniversary. I would have to compare the two to say which I truely like best. I do like it better than the Sierra Nevada Harvest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jamesp (13) - Thornton, Colorado, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Good sized head with some decent lacing. Nice copper color. I like the finish, I can't really describe it too well, other than to say I can feel it for quite awhile in the back of my tongue.

bu11zeye (12147) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 18, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a copper color with a little bit of haziness and a medium-sized white head. This is a wonderful hoppy tasting ale with an incredible finish.

presario (4877) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 16, 2003
Loses marks with the light finish. Exotic fruity strong hop flavour. Delicious.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2005 Brunt orange color, swirling haze and a few flakes, light carbonation, and a thin white head. Nice citrus and floral hop aroma. This is a very hoppy pale ale with nice citrus grapefruit flavor that is exceptionally well-balanced by some smooth malt. This is a delicious beer and tied with New River Pale Ale for my favorite in this style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
eczematic (1322) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - DEC 9, 2003
i'm a bit mystified as to where the line is between APA and american IPA but who cares. this is more of the same, stacks of sweet caramelly stuff perfumed with stacks of resinny, tropicalfruitmix hops, + some nice sherbetty fluffiness in finish. soft texture, full bodied, but a bit too sticky and fruity to be a good session beer, not enough interesting flavour to be a good sippin beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 3, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2005 Pretty nice stuff, quite sweet at first, then quite bitter towards the end. Rich palate, full of flavour, a soft smooth texture. Sweet malts, a nicely bitter aromtaic hops. Main flavours of lychee, pine, grapefruit (sweet). Satisfying bitterness. A slightly stronger version of an APA, Tasty stuff. Re-rate: i liked it a bit better this time and upped my score from 3.4!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Three CHEERS for Three Floyds! The bottle unleashed a dark amber brew with a smallish head that left a slight lacing. The aroma was hoppy and full of citrus. IPA's/APA's are my favorite style and this ranks as one of my favorite. I drank 3 bottles for the 3 Floyds and could have kept going!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 29, 2003
Poured this one like a sunofabiatch. I hate it when I pour in a big ass hurry. Big and I mean big foam. The smell of the liquid was intense, of course it could be because it was flowing down my hand. First taste had the hop hit and then settled down to be a decent brew.