overall

RATINGS: 2167   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TChrome (1425) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 8, 2003
Interesting pale ale. Tends more toward the malt end of the flavor spectrum than do most pales. This is not bad however, as the malt is quite tasty. Nutty aroma, pours up nice off white fluffy head. Beer is chesnut colored. Nice flavor with initial roasted malt taste followed by a very short burst of hop bitterness. Definitely a quick finish as there is no follow through on the flavors at all. This is good beer.

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 6, 2003
very hoppy and slightly overpowering aroma.Taste is a little bitter but still nice and malty.overall a well balanced hoppy brew that is very drinkable

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (5259) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 28, 2003
Cloudy Orange, and is that a green tint, as well? Tan head. Earthy Pinecone aroma and flavor. Messy Bitter. Loooooong finish. More, Please...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - APR 26, 2003
Pours a medium amber color, kind of looks like an english bitter or pale ale. Aroma is hugely floral and hoppy, massive hops aroma. Very nice, though. Flavor is not as hoppy as i expected, and malts really come through well. Great balance, the likes of which I was not expecting. I'm impressed with this beer, as much as i thought i wasn't going to like it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
deprogram (115) - Renton, Washington, USA - APR 12, 2003
Reasonable head, clear copper color. Impressive, bittersweet and almost overpowering hop aroma, complementing an outstanding clean and numbing palate. Slides across the tongue... Amazing. Taste is pale ale bitter, but still nice and malty. Packaging was colorful - the art was striking - but taken as a whole the bottle can't match the finish of your average premium microbrew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tfcjenn (30) - cleveland, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2003
Initial head minimal and fizzy, off-white in color. Nice hoppy nose, medium bodied, fairly balanced. Drinkable and enjoyable!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - APR 10, 2003
Big grapefruit nose. Copper/amber hue. Big sticky off-white head. Pale malts, supporting a very well balanced medium bodied brew. Caramel, light bread...Big heady hops. Pine needles and resin. This brew is so drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - APR 9, 2003
Do I approach the King with an unfortunate air of ennui? Surely I must prostrate myself before such a beer and arise to speak in the most praising terms? Unfortunately, I cannot so bend my will to the King. I may revel in the bountiful odor which eminates from him, and I may admire the attractive head sitting on its body, but I will not proffer obedience and infatuation which extends to every flavor I can lick from him. The King is, afterall, no greater--morally speaking, anyway--than his peers. He carries some respect for his glowing appearance, and earns plaudits for reaching my nose with an attractive floral bouquet, but for flavor I give only what is due, and what is due is the same respect that every hopping, bitter citizen of the pale ale world gets. No more, no less.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Silphium (3179) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 6, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2003 They say you can't judge a beer by its label, and this brewer has a great reputation. Thus, the Alpha King in my hand. This one is what a pale ale should be: crisp, clean, and aromatic with strong but not overpowering hopping. I am enjoying the Alpha King. When I'm in the mood for a bounce in the step and a jump in my mood, I'll gladly take my hops Three Floyds style.
Updated 9/23/03: like the Scottish Ale, my original tasting of this Pale was of the contract-brewed version. The Munster-bottled Alpha King is very piney, with a caramel/dark amber color and a thin tan head. Flavor? Pine, pine, pine. Nice malt balance too. And, did I mention, pine? Thicker than the contract-brewed version, but not my favorite pale, even though gymnosperms ain't so bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - APR 4, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2004 Led to believe that I would be bowled over by the hops. Actually glad that I wasn't. While I love bitter, I've had over the top and much prefer balance. Maybe a supreme balance wasn't achieved, but not a bad starting place. Plenty of aroma and hop essence, but not like the IPA styles that I know. And it isn't calling itself that, so I guess I would say all in all I enjoyed it. Again, thanks to hopsrus. Re-rate - Enjoyed as much or moreso than previously. And not to insult anyone - The Arrogant Cousin.