overall

RATINGS: 2169   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Silphium (3179) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 6, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2003 They say you can't judge a beer by its label, and this brewer has a great reputation. Thus, the Alpha King in my hand. This one is what a pale ale should be: crisp, clean, and aromatic with strong but not overpowering hopping. I am enjoying the Alpha King. When I'm in the mood for a bounce in the step and a jump in my mood, I'll gladly take my hops Three Floyds style.
Updated 9/23/03: like the Scottish Ale, my original tasting of this Pale was of the contract-brewed version. The Munster-bottled Alpha King is very piney, with a caramel/dark amber color and a thin tan head. Flavor? Pine, pine, pine. Nice malt balance too. And, did I mention, pine? Thicker than the contract-brewed version, but not my favorite pale, even though gymnosperms ain't so bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
Frank (3026) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2004 Dark amber. Tons of lace. Terrific amounts of hops in the nose. Loaded with grapefruit and pine notes. A bit on the thin side for a beer of such gravity and bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2003
I think this maybe the best APA I have tasted yet! A very well balanced brew. Nice aroma and finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerMonkey (11) - Lansing, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2003
I enjoyed the appearance and flavor of Alpha going down, but the hop kick doesn't lend itself to smooth drinking for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2003
Awesome label art. sweet fruity nose, with sweet front and fruity hops finish. Much sweeter and less hopier than I was expecting, but still very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2003 Reddish gold with a small light head. Nose of hops. Taste astingently, dryly refeshing. Hops and sweet malt, but less malt backbone than I would have expected. Different from Hop Devil, Different from Stone Ruination. Less pine and orange than the first, less grapefruit than the second, less malt than either. Great dry and bitter finish with sticky hoppy mouthfeel. A really enjoyable pale ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - APR 2, 2003
I'm not sure this one lived up to its high rating, although it was a very tasty beer. Deep amber color with a malty start that was quickly overpowered by strong hop flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - APR 4, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2004 Led to believe that I would be bowled over by the hops. Actually glad that I wasn't. While I love bitter, I've had over the top and much prefer balance. Maybe a supreme balance wasn't achieved, but not a bad starting place. Plenty of aroma and hop essence, but not like the IPA styles that I know. And it isn't calling itself that, so I guess I would say all in all I enjoyed it. Again, thanks to hopsrus. Re-rate - Enjoyed as much or moreso than previously. And not to insult anyone - The Arrogant Cousin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - APR 4, 2003
Nice light amber color with little head.nice hoppy aroma slightly, sweet malt as well thrown in.Taste was very well hopped with some maltyness in it but definately well hopped it shows up through out the beer.the finish is hoppy as hell with a slightly watery hop finish that is mild but pleasant a very well done brew that is well worth the effort in getting.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2003
Wow, hoppy, fruity, dark copper. This pale ale is awesome. I loved this brew and cant wait to buy more!!