overall

RATINGS: 2124   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kyzr (1147) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - NOV 2, 2002
What a nice suprise! Great aroma, I didn’t want it to end. Nice hop and great malt. By letting it warm up, the malt really comes out strong. Glad I made the trade for this!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 30, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2003 Excellent malt is simply a magic carpet ride for the greatest hop presence in an 'every day' beer! This is my session ale, widely available near me, a near perfect brew that I enjoy all year round. The original growlers from the Hammond brewery were out of this world with hops and malt. Just recently I have come across hand-pulled A.K.'s and love it equally. I'd love to watch a group of British Cask drinkers get their hands on this, it would turn them inside out. Massive flavor. If I could drink only one beer, Alpha King would be the one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: APR 28, 2004 Clear dark golden color with a short-lived fizzy white head. Slightly bready, citrusy aroma. Unassuming malt but with a sub-IPA hoppiness. A slight sticky-sweet aftertaste hurts the finish on this beer.

MrRomero (1974) - Nolanville, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Excellent. Big flavor with nice head. One of my new favorites.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - OCT 12, 2002
Big citrus/tropical fruit nose. Nice hop bite at the front with a good malt back. Balanced very nicely. Now if I could just get some Dreadnaught...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 11, 2002
Deep copper colored with a white frothy head. Very well hopped with a good malty balance. Dry and crisp with fruity undertones.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 7, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 8, 2003 This is a big APA and happily easily found around here. I find that the flavor profile seems to work in reverse--there is a lot of citric hop bitterness in the front, followed by a pleasing, rich maltiness (still with plenty of citrus, but other fruit as well) which draws up in a final citric dryness. Let it warm up a bit to get the most out of the tremendous malt. Wonderfully made stuff, this.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 5, 2002
beautiful citrus hop aroma, nice bitter taste w/ a clean finish. A very nice APA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
softale (188) - Michigan, USA - OCT 1, 2002
This is one of my favorite APA’s. It is far from the ordinary Pale. Huge citrus aroma, I’d say a cross between orange and lemon and a bit floral too. Taste is very appealing but hard to fully describe. The best I can do is like a hoppy lemon iced tea, sort of. Doesn’t sound great but it is really quite good and thirst quenching. It may be an acquired taste though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
igneous1 (1492) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 1, 2002
reddish copper color, excellent creamy off white head. very hoppy aroma rivaling many of the top American IPA’s in intensity. very citrusy bitter flavor with a bit of brown sugar sweetness...i personally think of this beer as more of an IPA. OUTSTANDING to put it mildly