overall

RATINGS: 2165   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
igneous1 (1503) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - OCT 1, 2002
reddish copper color, excellent creamy off white head. very hoppy aroma rivaling many of the top American IPA’s in intensity. very citrusy bitter flavor with a bit of brown sugar sweetness...i personally think of this beer as more of an IPA. OUTSTANDING to put it mildly

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GPyott (67) - Kenosha, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 1, 2002
Expecting to gain new enlightenment according to the rave reviews regarding this APA, I was a little disappointed after trying Alpha King… but only slightly. The initial taste surprisingly seemed a bit bland and almost watery, if only for a fraction of a second before you are bombarded with citric hops. It starts off bitter and smoothes out as it approaches a dry finish. The 6er I had tasted a tad stale or maybe “dirty”, and didn’t have the “freshness” I normally associate with PAs. Bad batch? I may have to try another and return for a re-rate. All the same, it is a very enjoyable beer that is easy to recommend.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2002
Wonderful citrus hop aroma, poors a light amber with nice off white head, taste of citrus and hops,hops, wonderful hops, followed by a touch of maltiness in the finish. a wonderful pale.

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2002
UPDATED: APR 1, 2003 This beer has changed the way that I look at pale ales. I absolutly love this beer. Everything about it is flawless. Yes, there might be beers out there that deserve a perfect score as well, but I could not think of a better beer to sip on during the late spring and early summer. An outstanding beer and well worthy of the perfect score.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
AleHole99 (12) - Wheaton, Illinois, USA - SEP 25, 2002
A well-hopped, quality product from the folks at 3 Floyd’s. Nice logo, but they have a weird website.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Duffbeer (192) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 24, 2002
Very hoppy beer. Very hoppy. If you like a lot of hops this beer is for you. Neat logo too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 24, 2002
A surprisingly red color, good lace. Strong smell of hops. Tastes of lemon and LOTS of hops. Normally I don’t like this much hops in my beer, but this is fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jsquire (3537) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATE: I have now had this on tap, and it is just better. 3-4-02:I love this beer. The flavor is great with all the sublties that the commercial description implies. It does finish dry, but that just makes you want to open another one right away.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MartinT (8024) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 15, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2005 Day breaks in the forum of divinities as lemons and daffodils are being picked for the Alpha King’s afternoon nectar...The harvesting angels notice a few ripe berries on a distant cloud and decide to include them in their creation...Of course, hops are the main ingredient, luscious bitter hops, which the King adores...Whenever I roam nearby this heavenly world, I beg for a sample...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Too citrusy for me. It has the appearance and flavor of grapefruit, which is ok in pale ales but not to this extreme. I was unaware of the robust alcohol content until coming to this site so the alcohol is well masked. If you are in the mood for an unusually strong pale ale, and just plain unusual beer, then this beer is for you.