overall

RATINGS: 2146   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop lover’s cult beer and Three Floyds’ flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If you’re unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kodos (200) - USA - NOV 25, 2001
Others comments say it all...Excellent!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 20, 2001
Cloudy dark copper color with a fine white head and generous lace. Floral nose with nice malt undertones, the middle is a blend of malt and hops, with the finish being all ’HOPS’, POW right in the taste buds. Been a while since I sampled this above average Pale Ale. Medium body and light carbonation, a top 5 pale Ale on my master list and if your a Pale Ale fan, this is a must try beer. A certain rival to SNPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 17, 2001
On tap at the Map Room, Chicago: People keep mentioning the citrus on the nose, but what about the berries? At first I thought I had mistakenly ordered a fruit beer, the rasp/blueberry profile was so strong. That, and orange, and caramel malts, and a whole lot of other complex fragrances and tastes, and you have perhaps the best American Pale Ale there is. NOT overrated, in my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - NOV 11, 2001
A pale orange/copper. Clear, minimal head. Aroma has a very cutrusy, hoppy and inviting quality. Huge malts, huge hops, fruity qualities all balanced superbly. Nice DRY finish. A great APA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - NOV 6, 2001
Good beer, somewhat overrated in my opinion, but that probably has something to do with the fact that I can buy it at the local liquor store. It would probably hold a more mythical place in my mind if it were one of the ’unavailable’ beers that I had to travel to get. That said a good take on the APA

TAR (2494) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - OCT 23, 2001
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2003 Dances with the taste buds nicely, but lacks malt focus and balance. I need more toast and caramel. More like a dumb-downed Dreadnaught, with a tad more dry-hopping that really becomes more evident within the accompanying hop belches. The citrus hop profile is profound in every regard. This would more than suffice as an IPA. Whatever.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 12, 2001
This runs circles around SNPA in my opinion. Bigger malt, bigger hops and bigger mouthfeel. This is supurbly malty (caramel flavors) for an APA and the hops are just big for an APA. Very distinct citrus astringency and some bitterness. Nice copper to bronze color with very minimal head. My only complaint is the excessive yeast sediment my bottle contained, which made the beer appear muddy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 16, 2001
Very nice pale ale. Citrus notes and a nice golden orange color.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 29, 2001
Wow this is a great APA. Probably my favorite. Great malt backbone to complement 3F’s great hop flavoring. A great drinking experience!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LordHedgehog (144) - Westminster, Maryland, USA - AUG 6, 2001
The citrus is just a little too strong on what would otherwise be an excellent beer. The overall impression and aftertaste is great, but it stings the tongue just a little. Still, the strong hops really give it good flavor.