overall

RATINGS: 2152   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Gorgerous copper brown color with a two finger head with good lacing. Huge oily hop notes. Plenty of lemony leafy hops. Very sweet citrus hop oil taste. A little malt balance. This beer is delightfully smooth and creamy. A textbook APA that Iíve heard lots about and certainly hasnít disappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - FEB 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2005 Bought this when I turned 21 and wasnít disappointed. Like the other reviews have said, this is a very hoppy beer which was new to me. Bitter flavor dominates this beer but it is suprisingly smooth as well. Overall I was impressed. Hopefully I can make it to their brewery sometime since I am in Indiana

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JAN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2006 Bottle. Wow. Pours deep red with a creamy off-white head. Immediately as itís poured, hops aroma hits me. Spicy, floral/piney, and especially hoppy aroma is refreshing... Maybe hints of apple. Spicy flavor fills mouth with bitter hops and notes of pine. Nice bitter finish lingers. Alcohol is subdued but noticable. Malt characteristics barely noticable but present. Finishes very bitter but balanced by sweet malt presence. Extensive lacing through whole beer as head diminishes slowly. Very lightly carbonated. Excellent and refreshing beer. Light moutfeel but not watery.

MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Bottle Clear, glowing reddish-amber with a light tan head that holds at a thick cap. Wonderful aroma of pine resin and grapefruit soaked hops. Very little malt discernable on the noseÖa touch of sweet caramel and bread. The flavor is a lopsided balance skewed towards the hoppy side, with lots of spicy, complex hop flavor and sturdy bitterness. Grapefruit, pine resin, the hops are almost sweet in character. The only flaw in this brew is that the caramelly and bready malt backbone is a bit thin, and it shows in the body, which is on the lighter side of medium. Ends with a firm bitterness, as well as a hint of alcoholic dryness. More malt, and it would be Dreadnaught Jr. Overall, an incredible brew and a constant in my beer fridge, despite itís little flaw.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
duke33 (68) - Eldersburg, Maryland, USA - MAY 30, 2005
I found this one incredibly over-rated...It had a nice head, but I didnít think the hops were quite as strong as i was expecting. I found the whole taste on this one incredibly average.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nihar (68) - Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2006
Nice bronze color, bitter-sweet aroma and very easy taste... Finish is outstanding and canít notice the alcohol

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
stiffy42j (68) - Brunswick, Georgia, USA - FEB 25, 2007
Pours hazy amber color with lacy white head. Smells citrusy with hops present. Pale ales arenít my favorite but this is decent with floral hops and very piney aftertaste. Refreshing but not my favorite.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joefflin (68) - USA - SEP 29, 2008
Pint glass on tap at Chumley’s in West Lafayette, IN. My first beer of the night and it has been quite a while since I have rated a beer so I really don’t know how many I have missed out on from rating. Whatever. Anyways, very citrus strong, more fruity than hoppy, but still very good and left a nice lacing on the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beezz86 (68) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2008
Bottle. Poured a clear amber color with a minimal tan head. Had a very strong aroma of floral and citrus hops, a really nice smell. The beer had a medium body, slightly creamy texture, average carbonation, and a bitter finish. The flavor was the same as the smell and overall the beer had a medium bitterness. I had heard a lot about this beer, and it definately did not disappoint. I really like the blend of hops that give this beer its great aroma and taste. I will definately be drinking this beer again and would highly recommend it.

jd10 (68) - Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 21, 2013
deep orange pour with slightly off-white head. aroma is citrus hops and sweet caramel malts. taste is more of the same, with candied fruits coming through and a strong caramel malt backbone to balance out the intense citrus hop flavor. full bodied, with a smooth finish that features more of the sweet candied fruit notes. delicious; drinks like a high-end IPA.