overall

RATINGS: 2124   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

ElBastardo (13) - Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Had this at the Map Room in Chicago,it blew me away.Citrus city mixed with a massive malty body not your everyday American Pale!

seuinoz (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 13, 2002
unreal taste the aroma is that of an freshly squeezed oranges with a hint of lemon too. the appearance is a dark gold color. the flavor is the taste of oranges. the palate is smooth and citrusy. alot of hops surround the citrus taste. no taste or hint of alcohol in this beer even though this beer rates at 7.25% in abv

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2002
UPDATED: APR 1, 2003 This beer has changed the way that I look at pale ales. I absolutly love this beer. Everything about it is flawless. Yes, there might be beers out there that deserve a perfect score as well, but I could not think of a better beer to sip on during the late spring and early summer. An outstanding beer and well worthy of the perfect score.

ElGaucho (2189) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 11, 2003
After 370 beers rated, this is my first perfect beer! Sampled at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Aroma: very hoppy, wonderful, rich. Very nice, reddish, orangish amber. Off-white head. Not much visible carbonation. Very nice hoppy flavor. Excellent lace. As an American Pale, doesn't get any better than this.

garrison (757) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - MAR 23, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 14, 2004 Pours a deep reddish-brown with an exquisite, citrusy hop aroma. Full-bodied and flavorful, this heavily hopped brew finshes with a nice bitter finish. A terrific beer!

biermensch (64) - USA - DEC 12, 2004
If I had to chose one ale/lager to drink, this would be my choice. This is truly the king, forget that nonsense out of St. Louis. The Floyds got it absolutely right with Alpha King, from the orange color, citrus and hops, huge flavor, yet easy drinkability. My first 20. I keep trying other American Pale Ales, but always come back to Alpha King.

tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAY 4, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2005 Amber with and off white head. Fair retention. Minimal haze. I get some bold citrus (orange or tangerine) hops and rich breadyness for malt in the nose. Very full flavor. Again citrus hops and robust breadiness from the malt. Maybe some caramel. Moderate body. Not a lot of ligering flavor. Rerate 8/21/05. I am now ratinge this based on Alpha King as an APA vice and IPA. This is by far the best American Pale Ale on the market.

Barley69 (26) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2007 What Amazes me about this beer is the aroma Ė Being a home brewer I get to know the smell of brewing very well. The mash and the boil and the addition of hops. Smells great! This beer captures all of that and retains it in the beer. This beer is unlike any beer in the world!! A nice grainy flavor and aroma. Nice hoppy flavor This is the best 6% session beer in the world Also considering Three Floyds Ridiculously High prices on some of the other beers, Itís also a tremendous value Great on tap also

railcat1 (685) - Hammond, Indiana, USA - MAR 13, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2006 first fff beer i ever drank. wow what a surprise i was used to regular beer but this put me in a whole new world of beer.everything good you read about this beer is true i drink it all the time and it always taste just as good as the last one. try it at brewpub fresh from tap wow you will not want to leave CHEERS to the guys .we know why it is their flagship beer

undsioux7 (793) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2008 Amber/copper color with a small just off white head. Aroma of big citricy piney flowery hops. Mouthfeel is good with malts to start with lingering bitterness in the finish. Taste of citris, pine, grass, to grapefruit bitter which lingers well after. Even better on a second tasting. Re-Rate: I just love everything about this beer and canít help but up the score everytime I drink this. I enjoy it more each time I have it.