overall

RATINGS: 2139   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Big American Pale Ale with citrusy aroma- a hop loverís cult beer and Three Floydsí flagship beer Brewed with Cenntennial, Cascade & Warrior Hops.
Alpha King is an American Pale Ale with a bold citrus hop character. We brew all our beers for our own demanding tastes. If youíre unwilling to compromise on your beer, we urge you to try it.

andyhite's rating

andyhite (308) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - MAY 22, 2007
bottle pours a mahogany haze with amber tendencies. the head here is subtly dense, and ever-so-slowly receding. the strong scents of thick hops are similar to that of a dense fog, and are accented by the flavorful citric aromas crossed with notes of creamy caramel slightly toasted malts. tastes? liquid perfection. i canít state it any better. it coats the palate from the front, with bright and lively warrior hops and slight spice, to the back where the thicker mouthfeel really shines and is accented by the mild, but non-offensive bitterness and slight salt flavor. this is great. all kinds of complexity here. itís just sad that thereís only 12 oz, and i canít get it here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstonerock24 (117) - Englewood, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2014
Aroma is straight pine and citrus. Not extremely bitter like an IPA but strong pine and citrus flavor like one. This is my kind of pale ale. Most would consider this a hoppy IPA. Well done

RussianDragon (440) - - AUG 21, 2014
12 oz bottle purchased at 3 Floyds just last week. Pours a bright clear orange with brilliant copper hues when backlit. Head is a thick lasting rocky cap of foam that left thick lacing down the entire glass as the beer was consumed. Aroma is citrusy hop bitterness with orange and grapefruit, and caramel malt. Flavor is same with hops very prominent for a pale ale. Medium bodied, full active carbonation, and pleasant bitter finish. Always great to have this beer, especially this fresh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Klimaet (130) - Aarhus N, DENMARK - AUG 20, 2014
Bottle. Pours clear amber with a big beige head. Aromas of pine, grassy hops, citrus, grape, some floral notes aswell. Taste is pretty piney and grassy hops up front, settles for some grapefruit bitterness along with some caramel malt and citrus-like notes. Very smooth body. Shouldíve probably had it when it was all fresh but I simply forgot I had it. Lol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
kenter2000 (41) - , Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2014
I enjoy the aroma. thatís my favorite part. Itís so sweet like a salt water taffy factory, like watermelon stewing in sugar, like better days. However, itís not what I expected. It may be the off kilter realm I found myself in today. That could be it. Or it may be my general unwillingness to be completely satisfied. Maybe. But really I think itís more simple, I really just wanted more of a traditional pale ale taste on a warm summer night. Something familiar like driving down the street I grew up on. The taste is certainly good and itís growing on me with each sip--the alcohol power. BUT, This beer and I, victimís of circumstance, A situation of right beer at the wrong time. But that is the thing, Life isnít fair. You will get a good beer in a inappropriate space. Cíest la vie. I am a goose staying put in the heat wishing their was a more hoppy beer going down my gullet. Forever longing. Always bitter. Staying true. I just wish there had been a warning. The lights could have flashed. The gods could have told me. Itís more of a fall thing! Youíd like this better in a different season! No, thatís freaking fate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerKurve (498) - - AUG 13, 2014
Rich citrus and floral hops with some grapefruit, and caramel malts with a resin-piney finish. Very rich and flavorful; Worth checking out!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
barbarino2000 (76) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - AUG 8, 2014
This one never fails to satisfy me. It's bold, so I don't think I could down too many in one sitting. But it bursts with FLAVOR! ---Rated via Beer Buddy

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
novice101 (308) - - AUG 6, 2014
This was a solid beer, a very big malt body which to me kind of overpowers the hops, loads of floral and citrusy notes, but too malty for me

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
4theluvofbeer (90) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 25, 2014
A very nice IPA. Citrus and floral notes on the nose. Nice hoppy flavour with a great finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
cafgen (127) - California, USA - JUL 24, 2014
A nice amber color with a two finger tan head. Aroma is citrus, pine, malt and slight sweetnes. Taste is a We'll balance citrus and bitterness up front with a nice sweet end. A great and well balanced Pale Ale. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jackfrost9p (258) - California, USA - JUL 21, 2014
Awesome beer, one of my go to brews when I spend time with my family in Chicago. Sweet, dark fruits along with some hops.