overall

RATINGS: 1093   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

2014 vintage - 6.0% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - JAN 20, 2005
Totally black color, barely able to see though it, big, thick tan head. Aroma has a fair amount of pine hops, roasted malts, notes of coffee and chocolate. Flavor is malty and chocolately, smooth early on but with a touch of bitterness in the finish, faint notes of alcohol. Palate is a little thin for my liking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Oil can black with a bit of transparency around the edge of glass. This porter offers a nice roasty aroma that hints at bitter sweet chocolate. Malts and hops balance nicely - with the great nutty, roastiness finally pulling out front. Great smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 17, 2005
My waitress actually made fun of me when I ordered this with my dinner for 14.50 for a 22 oz bottle, yes 14.50 for one bottle. I had to do it though..this was the first time I have seen a Three floyds product in Pa...just because the beer cost as much as my wife and my dinners added together. Anyway, on with the rating...nose was strong with roasted malts and hints of chocolates, not much of the hops make it through. Appearance is spectacular, deep brown with creamy tan head that holds for the entire glass. Flavor is solid, again the hops don’t really make it through, and the chocolate is present in perfect amounts. The only complaint I have is that it was a little thin on body, it didnt have that "liquid food" consistency. Considering how much it cost me, to say that I feel like it was a worthy invesment should give you a fair picture of my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 9, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2005 22 oz from a 42 degree cellar. I drank the whole bottle over the course of an hour, so it heated up (I was playing cards with the missus). Tasted in tulip style, NB "worthy" glass. Black with a small tan head. Lots ’o lacing. Aroma is roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, and floral, piney hops. The taste is initially roasted malt, then hops, hops, and hops. The hops are really piney. The finish is piney and balanced, not too dry, with some roated malt aftertaste. Mouthfeel is not bad, but certainly not exceptional. This is pretty much a porter mixed with an IPA. Different, but tasty. Thanks to Bert for this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - JAN 8, 2005
Big fresh hop aroma, citrusy, with chocolate malts and toast in the background. Nice mohagany color, thick beige head, good lacing. Smooth flavor, nothing stands out, but there is chocolate, caramel, hops, and roastiness all blended in. Finishes kind of bitter and roasty. Medium full body. An interesting and complex porter. In general, I don’t like a lot of hops in my porters, but this isn’t bad.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JAN 7, 2005
2004 Barely translucent. Intense sweet dark malt aroma, with a healthy hop charge as well, piney and intense. This smells great. Slightly burnt chocolate flavor, rich and velvety. A bit of bitter chocolate, with a mellow but persistent hoppiness keeping everything in check, good bitterness, with some piney flavor late. I am totally wowed by this guy. A stunner. Thanks a ton Heemer77

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2007 I’m usually not a fan of highly hopped beers of this nature but this one actually works pretty damn well. Dark brown. The aroma is fairly subtle (but I assume it may have something to do with its age) with a gigantic chocolate candy bar malt taste in the flavor and an extreme hop flavor and bitterness. Rich and full body. Excellent right now, but when I find a fresher bottle I will definately re-rate. Rerate, my god this is a hoppy beast...It needs another year before I’ll try another bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 7, 2005
Thanks to Mike for bringing this one to O’briens last night! 2003... this beer poured a deep black w/ beautiful full red highlights, brown head and thin lacing. Flowers and dark fruit w/ hints of grapefruit and an alcohol sweetness on the nose... Woody and sweet w/ soury fermented fruit in the mouth... Good effervescence and full body, well rounded on the mouthfeel. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2005
Thanks to eyedrinkale for sharing a bottle of this...only means I dont need have to open my bottle in the near future. This beer pours a deep red brownish color with a small tanned head and very small amounts of lacing. The aroma is hoppy, naturally with a nice degree of smoky vanillaness and pine sugar (yeah.. i did just say pine sugar!). Some malt and oak also in the nose. The flavor is medium bodied with a dry sweet finish. Light roasty flavors, some mild malts, not very hoppy at all..perhaps a hint of chocolate now and then.... tastes completely different from how it smelled.... very light bodied compared to what my expectations were coming into this beer. Nice, but not spectacularific...or something :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Wow - leave to the Three Floyds guys to ramp up a porter with hops! Nicely done - suprisingly well balanced. Hops manage not to overhwhelm the choclate & roast malts. Great stuff!