RATINGS: 1093   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

2014 vintage - 6.0% abv

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jde123 (768) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Wow, simply the best porter ever. Pours black, no head. Aroma heavily laden with espresso and chocolate, very dark, quite nice. Very thin palate, though. Burnt taste, very smokey very enjoyable. I love this one!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2004
12/4/04: Bottle.
Aroma of coffee, vanilla and smoke. Flat black body with no lace. Malty taste with a hop bite. Smoked and a bit burnt; flavor also includes a good amount of coffee. This brew tastes great with chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kinz (3559) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Very dark brown, light does make it through at edges. OK, slightly fizzy head fades away. Aroma was a blast of super spruced up vegetal hops. Fresh is an understatement. But I was a bit concerned, as it was a hop profile that I personally just don’t care for. Yup, flavor matched. Rather light bodied in fact. The hops obliterated all. As it warmed, a slight chocolate note emerged on the finish. But overall it was like sucking on the spent grains and hops at the bottom of a homebrew kettle. I can see how others really go for this stuff, but it wasn’t my bag.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sloth (2665) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - DEC 4, 2004
Large brown head, good retention and lace. Black brew. Hoppy, dark malt, piney nose. Medium bodied, nice texture. Full flavored malts and hops. Chocolate, roast, freaking hops, more chocolate and hops then some decent roast notes too boot! A juicy, sorta chewy big porter. Finish is fairly dry, fruity. A really fun brew! Me like!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Darkover (1528) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2007 Very dark brown with a tan head. Strong hop aroma with chocolate malt in the background. Flavor of hops, coffee and some smoke. Not a good combination.(8,5,4,3,10)

Update: I cellered a bottle for 2 years. The hops are way subduued now. And you can taste the flavors of chocolate and tootsie rolls.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Porters are one of my favorite styles of beer. The first porter I had was Yuengling Porter. Ever since my first sip I have been hooked. Since then I have found better porters. Some have been good and some have been bad, but none have been great. When I took my first sip of Alpha Klaus I knew it was the greatest porter I’ve had. It poured a dark and rich brown that was close to black. It had a small biege head. A big roasted coffee and cocoa aroma. Full and thick mouthfeel. Not creamy, slick, and rich like a stout, though. Heavy coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, and some dark fruits. Nice long and lingering aftertaste. An excellent porter. Perhaps one of the best.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Seldom do I use the top numbers in the pull-down ratings here at RateBeer; I like to save the highest marks for a beer that I find exceptional in one or another category. This beer deserves every accolade it gets. The aroma is unreal. Chocolate malts and FRESH hops. Like just-picked-from-the-vine-sticky-resinous-fingers fresh. Full body, toasty, tasty flavors, reserved bitterness, and oh, that aroma. Awesome.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cobra (1100) - - DEC 1, 2004
22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date seen, but it’s the 2004 batch. Very fresh. Poured out a deep chocolate brown, with a huge, rocky, dense tan colored head. Looked like mocha froth. Aromas are of sugars, like palm sugar or something. Caramels, brown malts, slight cocoa powder, coffee beans, and earthy hops make up the rest or the aromas. Piney hops in the flavors, along with the sweetness of the sugar, and cocoa notes as well. Decent mouthfeel, not too thick or thin. A decent porter overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NobleSquirrel (3438) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2004 Not super porter like, but who cares! Very hoppy, like chocolate dipped hops, quite tasty. Seems to me that they took the recipe for Alpha King and added some dark malts to make it black and some sugar to sweeten it a bit. Damn fine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 30, 2004
Large Thank You’s to BBB63 for sending me this bomber this time last year!

Rating #630
Vintage 2003

Ohhh Mama! I can tell by just the fat rocky caramel colored head and the large aromatics radiating from the glass, that this beer is going to be delicious!
Ohhhh, Orgas-Mo aromas of BIG America hops mixed with robust highly kilned chocolate malts slap my nostrils first! The flavor brings the most perfect blending of dark malts, coffee, chocolates, toffee, molasses, sugar rolled raisons, dates, these notes are everywhere! But the hops… the hops… the hops bring me too ovation! There is such a marvelous blending of citrus, orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and even a light note of pineapple slide right across my palate.. but not too quickly! The citrus just hangs for decades in the back of my mouth… I’m gong to have to have it arrested for loitering, but I won’t press charges! There is also an amazingly spicy note of pine sap that gives this porter such a traffic holiday elegance! The palate is soooooooo full, robust, velvety, and bold… I’ll be dreaming about this beer tonight!
Well, FFF does it again! I’ll take a case of Alpha Klaus over a case of Dark Lord any damn day of the Week, Month, Year, Decade, Century…….