RATINGS: 1096   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

2014 vintage - 6.0% abv

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - DEC 6, 2004
MMMmmm, smell the hops as the bottle opens. Poured it into the glass half expecting it to be a nice light IPA, but no. Nice and dark like a porter should be. This is fairly fresh, so the hops have yet to subside. Nice brown color, medium head with a vigorous pour. The hop aromas are lifting off wisps of chocolate malt, lingering around my nose. Almost like a sweet & sour sauce, they are opposites that together combine magnificently. The taste Is exceptional, nothing like I expected when I opened the bottle. Probably a bit hoppier than most porter fans would like, but for me it was sublime. Like coffee, chocolate, and hop oil put in a crock pot for days, the tastes just meld together in your mouth. A perfect compliment of tastes, I will age a few bottles of this for comparison after the hops subside. One of my favorites!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Deep brown with very little in the way of head development. Piney, citric, and roasted malt aromas. Full bodied; flavors feature piney hops, deeply roasted malt, coffee and some chocolate flavors. Quality, but not overwhelmingly good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
temporrari (389) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 5, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 Bottle 2004. Unique porter. Also delicous. Black pour, you can make out a hint of red if you look close. Aroma is piney hops, and roasty malts, some chocolate notes. Wow, what an aroma. Flavor begins with hops, not bitter though. Piney. Smooth on the tongue. Finishes with a long and lasting aftertaste of roasted coffee and chocolate. Best porter ever. Yeah.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jde123 (768) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Wow, simply the best porter ever. Pours black, no head. Aroma heavily laden with espresso and chocolate, very dark, quite nice. Very thin palate, though. Burnt taste, very smokey very enjoyable. I love this one!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2004
12/4/04: Bottle.
Aroma of coffee, vanilla and smoke. Flat black body with no lace. Malty taste with a hop bite. Smoked and a bit burnt; flavor also includes a good amount of coffee. This brew tastes great with chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kinz (3567) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Very dark brown, light does make it through at edges. OK, slightly fizzy head fades away. Aroma was a blast of super spruced up vegetal hops. Fresh is an understatement. But I was a bit concerned, as it was a hop profile that I personally just don’t care for. Yup, flavor matched. Rather light bodied in fact. The hops obliterated all. As it warmed, a slight chocolate note emerged on the finish. But overall it was like sucking on the spent grains and hops at the bottom of a homebrew kettle. I can see how others really go for this stuff, but it wasn’t my bag.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sloth (2688) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - DEC 4, 2004
Large brown head, good retention and lace. Black brew. Hoppy, dark malt, piney nose. Medium bodied, nice texture. Full flavored malts and hops. Chocolate, roast, freaking hops, more chocolate and hops then some decent roast notes too boot! A juicy, sorta chewy big porter. Finish is fairly dry, fruity. A really fun brew! Me like!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Darkover (1529) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2007 Very dark brown with a tan head. Strong hop aroma with chocolate malt in the background. Flavor of hops, coffee and some smoke. Not a good combination.(8,5,4,3,10)

Update: I cellered a bottle for 2 years. The hops are way subduued now. And you can taste the flavors of chocolate and tootsie rolls.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Porters are one of my favorite styles of beer. The first porter I had was Yuengling Porter. Ever since my first sip I have been hooked. Since then I have found better porters. Some have been good and some have been bad, but none have been great. When I took my first sip of Alpha Klaus I knew it was the greatest porter I’ve had. It poured a dark and rich brown that was close to black. It had a small biege head. A big roasted coffee and cocoa aroma. Full and thick mouthfeel. Not creamy, slick, and rich like a stout, though. Heavy coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa, and some dark fruits. Nice long and lingering aftertaste. An excellent porter. Perhaps one of the best.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
piwodevo (53) - chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Seldom do I use the top numbers in the pull-down ratings here at RateBeer; I like to save the highest marks for a beer that I find exceptional in one or another category. This beer deserves every accolade it gets. The aroma is unreal. Chocolate malts and FRESH hops. Like just-picked-from-the-vine-sticky-resinous-fingers fresh. Full body, toasty, tasty flavors, reserved bitterness, and oh, that aroma. Awesome.