overall

RATINGS: 1046   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jsquire (3464) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2004
Mahogony red when held up to the light with a nose that speaks of subtle roast grain and not so subtle hops. I couldn't help but think that there were too many hops in this for a porter, but damn what a great beer. Lots of fresh green hop flavors all through this beer (this is from a bottle sample and I hope to try it on tap). Other flavors of molasses, oak, sweet coffee, some chocolate. The hops in this porter worked for me. Thanks to Mike (BBB63) for the bottle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2004
MMMMM Huge, zesty hop aroma, a hint of pine. Deep ruby appearance and a fine, fluffy light caramel head. Very hoppy flavor, with classic porter roasted malt flavor with nice bitter chocolate accents. Lingering sweetness. This is a very special porter. Thanks to Eddie G for th sample.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
haddon90 (1466) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 29, 2004
I wasn't overly impressed with this. This tasted like a hoppy porter, and it just didn't turn out well. Deep dark color with a tan head. Chocolate and hops in the aroma. Kind of a chewy taste. Hoppy, chocolate malt. Not quite the coffee/chocolaty taste I was hoping, but still a decent beer. Just not the #2 porter in my opinion. Thanks Jeremy (jgb9348) for giving me this bottle and for having a great time here in Knoxville!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Pours with a medium-bubbled tan head. When poured aggressively will pile up to form a rocky mass. Aroma is chocolate, citrusy hops and some silage (chopped up corn stored in a silo. Sours a bit over time). The chocolate aroma is quite subdued, it mostly provides a baseline sweetness. Otherwise hops and mustiness dominate the aroma. The flavor starts with fuzzy chocolate malt and finishes with strong bitter and aromatic (citrus again) hops. Quite a bit of carbonation which I think is distracting. Otherwise the mouthfeel is lightly creamy. For whatever reason, I dislike the combination of chocolate and citrusy hops. I like caramel sweetness with hops (think DFH 90) but apparently not chocolate sweetness with hops. Seems like some homebrew concoction.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - FEB 23, 2004
SE Gathering. This one is quite hoppy for a porter. Smooth and dark it presents a nice hop character with a subdued malt balance. Very tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (3084) - Georgia, USA - FEB 23, 2004
This is something that I was really looking forward to at the Southeastern Ratebeer gathering. Very dark brown. The huge aroma is screaming spruce at me. The malt is dry and clean and really comes across as a dry brown ale than a porter. Still, it's tasty and one of the few dark beers I've had that had dominant hops that I really think work that way.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 22, 2004
Good but not exciting, it is a very dirty tasting porter. The aroma is spicy, and much like a toddy coffee. Lots of great appearance points, with some chocolate, coffee and butterscotch. A little bit of a vegetal heral finish, which I did not care for.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrRomero (1975) - Nolanville, USA - FEB 22, 2004
Thanks to BBB63 for bringing this out to the Atlanta Pub Crawl for me. Unlike any porter I have had. Like a hoppy brown ale but still with a little porter characteristics. Mildly roasty and again, well hopped. I like it. Very enjoyable.

dberger624 (1028) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2004
Bottled at a RB gathering in Philly. Had this with JF_Grind who rated this before me. Porter my butt. This is a dark IPA if there is such a thing. This was a very hoppy beer. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JFGrind (1844) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2004
I found the fresh hops flavor in a porter unique. At first taste I was convinced this beer was an Imperial IPA. Sampled at the Philly RB Gathering.