overall

RATINGS: 1040   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Alpha Klaus is Alpha King’s cousin. A big American X-mas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt and Mexican sugar and of course tons of strange American hops! Cheers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Dark, nearly black body with a small brown head. Aroma is incredibly hoppy for a porter. Smells like fresh green hop leafs. Taste has some roastiness and is rather dry, some subtle hints of sweetness come through from the sugar. Hints of chocolate. Very bitter. Overly hopped for a porter and over rated in my opinion, but it is still quite nice. Thanks Jokes for sending this out to Buffalo.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jercraigs (7348) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2007 November 2007. 2006 Vintage. Bottle from some tiny liquor store in Cleveland. No notes. Hops are much milder than previous samples, allowing sweeter chocolaty roast malt to come out more. Smooth and delicious. Added +1 overall. <P> February 2004 @ Frielockís place in Buffalo. Bottle. If you close your eyes your mouth will think your nose is a horrible liar. Massive assault of hops upon the nose is overpoweringly like a bag of green hop pellets that is not at all porter like but is kind of cool. Black body with a good head that doesnít really stick around. Slight roastiness and malt in the flavour underneath a lot of bitterness. Quite enjoyed the chance to try this, thanks frielock. 9/4/8/4/16 <P> Random IPFreely quote of the night "...I donít put lettuce or tomatoe on my Mighty... Itís a waste of space."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JAN 28, 2004
Smells very piney. If I didn't know any better, I would classify this as an IPA, not a porter. Very little roasted and chocolate taste, heavy in hop flavor. It also, has a thinner body than I expected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - JAN 20, 2004
As soon as the cap comes off this bottle you notice the strong hop aroma. It is a somewhat delicate floral hop aroma. It pours very dark with a thick tan head which disappears rather quickly. From the initial aroma I expected a much harsher hop flavor but it was milder than the aroma and name of the beer led me to expect. There is still a fairly strong and crisp bitterness though, itís just not overpowering; most distinguishable was a grapefruit and citrus hop flavor. I also noticed subtle chocolate flavors underneath the bitterness. Overall it is a very nicely balanced beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 18, 2004
I had this beer out of a bottle. The color is black. The smell is of coffee/chocolate. The taste is very full for a porter. Chocolate and roasted malt extremely noticeable. Good porter, but not the beer I typically drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 16, 2004
Very black, and the aroma is a strong, hoppy one. Extremely piney, like eating a conifer. The flavor is more of the same, with the hops thoroughly dominating all else, even the substantial amount of malt! A hint of grapefruit, but overall I'm surprised how much like an Imperial IPA this is, given its dark color. I don't taste as much chocolate malt as some others do. What's so special about this brew?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
craven5000 (92) - Westville, Indiana, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Poured a big easy tan head that was short lasting. Dark brown in color or maybe black with notable dark red with light. Smelt of a fresh cut pine tree and then of grapefruit. Tasted strongly of grapefruit juice that became rather bitter then quickly mellowed. Definitely different. The absence of an alcohol taste made it very easy to drink and the more I had the more I decided I liked it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
redlem (1296) - Ohio, USA - JAN 8, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2006 Bottle. I think you should include chocolate and pine as a flavor combination that does not work as I found this absolutely disgusting in every respect. The pine dominates the aroma and taste and in itself this is not bad, but since pine is such overwhelming force if it is overused it quickly becomes tiring. The pine hops do not enhance, emphasize, or work with the chocolate at all. In fact these 2 ingredients work opposite of one another and in my mouth it felt like doing a cement mixer. I have had beers that were bad from poor quality and poor ingredients but this was the worst tasting beer I have tried yet. This did not work for me at all. Re-rate: on tap this is not as bad as the bottles I tried in the past. not the clash in flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - JAN 6, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2004 1/6/04. Poured out of 22 oz. bottle, obtained in a trade with bigbadbear63 from RateBeer 12/4/03. Pours extremely dark, opaque brown, possibly the darkest, thickest-looking porter I've seen. Slight reddish-brown edges, but otherwise utterly opaque. Dark tan head doesn't stay around much but the lacing is quite nice. Aroma is majorly hopped. Slight edge of dark malt, and fresh barley but mostly the deliciously floral, sweet grapefruit of those Three Floyds hops-- smells a lot like the Dreadnaught. Darkness of malt and even a little chocolate comes out a bit as I smell it more. Initial taste is sour, citrusy and stinging with bitter hops, the malts kind of pushed in the background and around the edges. Strange mix, I must say. Finish turns deeply dark and astringent. Medium-full body, very creamy texture and with a very long, straightforwardly roasty, dark chocolate malt finish. A little like a smoked porter. Very little sweetness on the end. Pretty potent stuff, feeling even more powerful than the 7.5% alcohol indicates, but I'd like it to mellow out a bit. Still pretty damn good. Finally, I notice as it warms up just how smooth and creamy the body on this beer is. It's tremendously elegant even as it warms-- the alcohol does not get any harsher or the flavors any more difficult to handle. I think I actually prefer it at room temperature, or very close.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2497) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2004
Draft at 3F: Strong resiny hop aroma, plus grapefruit. Ultra resiny flavor. Dark brown, with medium head. Medium body. Dry, near chocolatey finish.